GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft/ Nintendo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 21:45
Regular
Hello Class, today we are going to discuss the console war argument between Nintendo and Microsoft. For those who don't know The Nintendo Gamecube and Microsoft X-box were both released in America last week and we have been trying to analyze each consoles success. But first I want to ask you all to tell me what the word Nintendo conjures up in your mind. Yes you Regular in the front row.

Nintendo make me feel a bit warmer inside the name conjures up a nice image.

Ok now you the Newbie at the back:

I have to agree Nintendo are a sweet, safe all most childish image the name is familiar, friendly almost.

Those points you have highlighted above are what many people do see in Nintendo images of Mario and Link are conjured up, a safe as you quite rightly said happy image. Right now class I’m going to say a different name and I want you to tell me what you think when you hear it. Microsoft. You the Notable two rows in.

A bit of a ruthless name, rich, powerful oh and a bit unnerving.

Ok you the staff member next to him.

Well I’d say a bit unsafe I'm used to their systems failing on me, ruthless again a bit darker than Nintendo I suppose their logo contributes to that.

Very good class. Casual gamers all over America have to choose Microsoft X-box or Nintendo Gamecube. X-box rammed a lot more money into advertisement whilst Nintendo pushed a load more consoles on the shelves in fact Nintendo shipped 700,000 console in America and X-box just 400,000. Nintendo also have the cheaper model and smaller model both of which could act in their favor. But those bright sparks at special reserve pointed out the name could also have a deciding factor on who will win the console war they said and I quote:

"The word 'Nintendo' is perhaps more appealing to the casual gamer than the word 'Microsoft'. Just a thought."

Do you agree with this? I do Nintendo does seem much more friendly to Microsoft who's way of doing business is often ruthless. That’s my opinion I think if I had to choose out of a Microsoft product and a Nintendo one I’d feel safer with Nintendo. Could this be a factor in who will win the console war? Your homework for tonight is to write your own opinion on this and I expect it on my desk as soon as you can.

Here's to the future

Dringo
Thu 22/11/01 at 19:19
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Son of Liberty I am sorry, but what is the point in saying which console is better than another solely in terms of the console?

What are consoles for? PLAYING GAMES!!! So the best console is going to be the one with the best games, not the one with most 'extra features'. Also have you considered that with the £100-£150 saving you make by buying GC instead of Xbox, you could go out and buy a dedicated DVD player??? And the DVD player on PS2 and Xbox will soon be outdated anyway by recordable DVD players!

I like GC because it has loads of games that for me are MUST HAVE titles, and it is focusing on what matters- the games. I haven't seen anything I really want on Xbox. I like the look of Halo, but that may yet get a PC release.

So that is it for now...
Thu 22/11/01 at 12:53
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Dringo wrote:
> Hello Class, today we are going to discuss the console war argument between
> Nintendo and Microsoft. For those who don't know The Nintendo Gamecube and
> Microsoft X-box were both released in America last week and we have been trying
> to analyze each consoles success. But first I want to ask you all to tell me
> what the word Nintendo conjures up in your mind. Yes you Regular in the front
> row.

Nintendo make me feel a bit warmer inside the name conjures up a nice
> image.

Ok now you the Newbie at the back:

I have to agree Nintendo are a
> sweet, safe all most childish image the name is familiar, friendly
> almost.

Those points you have highlighted above are what many people do see
> in Nintendo images of Mario and Link are conjured up, a safe as you quite
> rightly said happy image. Right now class I’m going to say a different name and
> I want you to tell me what you think when you hear it. Microsoft. You the
> Notable two rows in.

A bit of a ruthless name, rich, powerful oh and a bit
> unnerving.

Ok you the staff member next to him.

Well I’d say a bit unsafe
> I'm used to their systems failing on me, ruthless again a bit darker than
> Nintendo I suppose their logo contributes to that.

Very good class. Casual
> gamers all over America have to choose Microsoft X-box or Nintendo Gamecube.
> X-box rammed a lot more money into advertisement whilst Nintendo pushed a load
> more consoles on the shelves in fact Nintendo shipped 700,000 console in America
> and X-box just 400,000. Nintendo also have the cheaper model and smaller model
> both of which could act in their favor. But those bright sparks at special
> reserve pointed out the name could also have a deciding factor on who will win
> the console war they said and I quote:

"The word 'Nintendo' is perhaps
> more appealing to the casual gamer than the word 'Microsoft'. Just a
> thought."

Do you agree with this? I do Nintendo does seem much more
> friendly to Microsoft who's way of doing business is often ruthless. That’s my
> opinion I think if I had to choose out of a Microsoft product and a Nintendo one
> I’d feel safer with Nintendo. Could this be a factor in who will win the console
> war? Your homework for tonight is to write your own opinion on this and I expect
> it on my desk as soon as you can.

Here's to the future

Dringo

Its true - both Gamecube and XBO are great and they are very anticipated consoles. But Gamecube..regarldess to the graphics, Nintendo said they will not be having DVD playbak becuse of the gaming idustry being pushed to a different direction - This is what gets me annoyed with Nintendo.
XBOX on the other hand has a very bright future - many exlusive titles like HALO, ODDWORLD, DOA3 - all to be released on Microsofts machine. What's more - it will incklude a hard drive, a modem, and also be able to play DVD movies

I guess that both consoles are looking great - but to be quite honest XBOX wins it by miles - not in the graphic sense ( on most games , yes) but I am refering to the console on overall
Wed 21/11/01 at 02:18
Gamecube will have a huge line-up of must-have titles that you really can only get on one console, so I'll definitely be getting it.

XBox will be fighting it out with PS2 as the console with lots of "exclusives" that eventually get released in an enhanced version on every other format (including GBColor).
So, I'll probably also choose one from those two
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:54
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Argh! It's Ev][l~Cooky arguing with Ant abou the Evil~PS2. Oh no! Cooky, Use the FORCE (the Ninty force that is).

I think people should buy GameCubes. Xbox is all very well and good, but it really has few games that I can say I REALLY want. GC has LOADS. And I want them all!!!
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:33
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
No-one should EVER lower there gaming standard and get a PS2!

NEVER!

LOL

:)
Tue 20/11/01 at 18:21
Regular
"I like cheese"
I think that casual gamers shouldn't buy either of them, and should make the right choice in buying a PlayStation 2.

Then again, I would, wouldn't I?? {:)
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:59
Regular
3: The
> exclusivness of Shenmue for the X-Box. It hasn't been fully confirmed as to
> whether this game will be continued on all platforms yet. So it still looks
> like it's gonna be carried on, on the cra**y X-Box at the moment.

Actually despite the exclusive deal SEGA said that they will port Shenmue 2 to more than the x-box... what are they up to?

Shemue 1 and 2 combined might be a clever trick.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:14
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Cooky wrote:

2: It's getting the Buffy game EXCLUSIVELY! How long this
> exclusivness will last is unknown, but is one game that makes me want to play on
> a X-Box. But with a bit of luck, this game will come out on all platforms, and
> will definately makes it's way to PC anyway! Even though I don't really like
> playing games on PC's, i'll make an exception for this game! :)

So you like buffy eh? Oh well, everyone likes her too, but gettingan X-box just for one game???? come on, get real.
Tue 20/11/01 at 13:09
Regular
"*Plonk*"
cool op. nice idea. Could've have given names though. lol
Tue 20/11/01 at 11:44
Regular
The one point i think Microsoft have the najor upper hand on is the marketing side of it. Microsoft seem to have unlimited cash, and dont really care how much money they lose on the x-box initially. If sales were low they would probably give the x-box away! They are trying to penetrate a new market and even if the x-box makes a huge loss, they will still go ahead with x-box 2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.