GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What nintendo need to do..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/04/03 at 20:06
Regular
Iv allready posted this message in the 'Will Nintendo Survive another 10 years' room but thats an old room, so here it is to get all your attentions...

Will Nintendo Survive another 10 years?

They could do but for that to happen, we, the GC owners will have to help - and by that I don't mean buy Mario, Luigi, Zelda and Metroid (Plus every other first party game) but buy some 3rd party ones.

As somebody else pointed out a while ago, the reason Dixons (and a collection of other shops) dropped it is because nobody was buying games for it other than the first party ones. If people don't buy these, shops drop the console, people don't buy it and it dies. Dixons never dropped it because of console sales - It was only a couple of thousand behind the XBOX, so that was not the reason...That could have changed any moment, but if to many shops drop it, it never will!

Fair enough though - Nintendo did make their own fair share of mistakes...A tiny non DVD drive is an obvious put off for most, and makes it very hard for developers to port across large 5GB games from the other 2 consoled - and the fact you can copy games for the PSone is the pretty much only reason it did so well, making the GC sell even less. Also - lets be honest now - even if there are some grown up games, the best ones, challenging as they are (Mario for example which NO 3 years old could never even begin to complete) have baby faces, which put off the masses - we see past these...most do not.

Nintendo should now focus on their next console - Have Metroid Prime 2, A PROPER Mario 64 sequel, and a Zelda game ready for launch and make sure that it does all the things their rivals does (Online, Hard Drive, DVD, GC game support...) and then they will get back on track. The GC is great - but as I said, unless we all go out and buy bucket loads of games, it may become the next DC....And that upsets me...
Wed 23/04/03 at 12:43
Regular
They also need better advertising. I admit they've been trying, you rarely saw an advert for a game back in the n64 days, but they need to put their logo on bigger things ie. football this is viewed all over the world so many people will see Nintendo's big name.
Wed 23/04/03 at 12:41
Regular
"¬_¬"
It's obvious what Nintendo needs - licenses. Film licenses, TV licenses, Sport licenses. They are what sells a console, and though the hardcore types aren't too fond of them, they'll get your average Jim, Bob and Joe to buy a GameCube. Similarly, they need DVD playage, £30 games and a very mature image. Ie. dark colours for the console.
Wed 23/04/03 at 12:36
Regular
Nicely put Dr Gonzo.
Wed 23/04/03 at 12:36
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
My GRAmmeer iZ da GOOD,
Wed 23/04/03 at 12:34
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
TGMbloke wrote:
> They could do but for that to happen, we, the GC owners will have to
> help - and by that I don't mean buy Mario, Luigi, Zelda and Metroid
> (Plus every other first party game) but buy some 3rd party ones.

I'm not going to buy games just to help some souless corporation. I've spent thousands of pounds with Nintendo over the years, but the only reason any penny of that was spent was because the games were/are good.

> makes it very hard for developers to port across large 5GB games from
> the other 2 consoled

You'll struggle to find a single game that can fill a whole DVD and the media is that cheep throwing in two or three disks makes an almost insignificant change in the cost.

> and the fact you can copy games for the PSone
> is the pretty much only reason it did so well,

Rubbish. Total, total rubbish. The smartest marketing ever seen in the gaming world plus the strongest line up of games equals an industry changing console.

> we see past these...most do not.

"Most" aren't given the chance. Nintendo would struggle to market a free shag off Jordan too rowdy, drunk Townies.

> make sure that it does all the things their rivals does (Online, Hard
> Drive, DVD, GC game support...)

Is one of the nice things about Nintendo not that they don't need to rely on gimics? The last two in particular are non-issues.

> The GC is great - but as I said, unless we all go out and buy bucket
> loads of games, it may become the next DC....And that upsets me...

Nintendo have exactly the same problem as Sega had - they can't market the thing for toffee, despite the fact they have a roster of cracking games. However, they are also turning a profit - maybe not as large as they want, but enough to keep plugging on. This was the advantage of coming to market late, the hardware costs fell so they didn't take a big hit getting machines in houses.
Tue 22/04/03 at 23:37
Regular
Having 4 friends over is the best multiplayer, ever.
Tue 22/04/03 at 23:36
Regular
Ev][L~Dark wrote:
> Nintendo needs too take Online Gaming more seriously. Its the 'new'
> Mutliplayer.

It is also the new way to lose the most money.
Tue 22/04/03 at 22:46
Regular
"A Ghost Of You"
No problem
Tue 22/04/03 at 22:45
Regular
"the third person"
dead metal thanks for reminding everyone the harsh reality of life and awakening me from a day dream
Tue 22/04/03 at 22:41
Regular
"A Ghost Of You"
caring mongoose wrote:
> Lipe wrote:
> If your saying to make a mario 64 sequel that's online then i
> disagree. Mario is a 1 player game but they could make that game, on
> Mario Bros. 2 a online multiplayer, that would be fun.
> i think mario is just using too much of the same material has anyone
> noticed that gcube games are easy but id like to see B.F.D online 200
> teddy versus 200 squirells and a genral each would be choas but cool
> chaos

Aint gonna happen, Rare has joined Microsoft so it won't happen on the 'cube (it might happen on the X-BOX though)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.