GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Completionist?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/04/03 at 21:30
Regular
Are you a completionist?
In that you MUST collect and unlock every last item/character (etc) in a game.
I am.
Almost to the point of irrational obsession.

I recall Jet Set Radio Future.
I finished the Story Mode and then came the Street Challenges which (if you've not played the game) consists of going back into each level and completing specific tasks in order to collect hidden Graffiti Souls which unlock extra playable characters and time trial modes.
I had to do it, even if on occasion I found myself lost or frustrated at having to try and try again certain challenges.
I didn't stop playing until I'd done it, and in the case of JSRF, it took me roughly about 50 hours game time.
Time well spent in my opinion.

And I nearly always do the same thing with every other game I like.
I don't feel like I've finished a game until every last drop of gameplay has been drained from its cup.
And on top of this, I purposely seek out and buy games that offer such "collectability".

But this mini-obsession can also be a mini-curse, especially when amassing every last item proves to be almost impossible.

Take Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast.
I seriously wanted to unlock the old Mega Drive 'Green Hill Stage' from Sonic 1, but to do this you have to acquire "A" grades on all the levels.
Now to my mind this is almost impossible, unless you're willing to play the same levels over and over like a fanatic for at least 6 months.
I couldn't do it, and in the end I conceded defeat.
Every day I'd look at it and it would just annoy me, so I sold it to get the darn thing out of my hair.

Another thing that truly amazes me is gamers who abandon games they like halfway through.
A friend of mine does this all the time, most recently with Splinter Cell.
He likes the game, but he's not touched it for a couple of months. His progress is somewhere at a mid-level save point on Mission 7 or something.
As a completionist I find this carefree mid-game abandonment weirdly baffling.

So, are you are completionist?
Wed 23/04/03 at 00:06
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Ha, so I wasn't the only one who found some of the A rankings in DC Sonic impossible to achieve.

I will complete a game *completely* within reason, if I really it for a start. Games like Tony Hawks and JSRF have made me do everything in it for enjoyment.

But I won't bother if I don't like it. I'm not going to waste my time doing ultimetly a pointless task just for the sake of it. The hidden packages in GTA games for example- you can collect them, but its not much fun so i didn't bother.

I would say one thing, if you decide to pick up MGS Substance- there is so many things to do in it a completest would be in heaven...or hell. Great value though.
Tue 22/04/03 at 18:54
Regular
The only game I have ever felt compelled to 100% is Super Mario World on the SNES. Since then, no other game has begged me to finish it. Not that I can't, or can't be bothered, it's just that I grew up and found I had a life to weave amongst my gaming!!
Tue 22/04/03 at 09:34
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Only if I really, really like a game, and that's not very often.

I did complete and unlock everything on JSRF, and it took me about 50 to 60 hours as well with no looking at walkthroughs or anything.

It can become like an obsession to what to unlock every last item in a game, but if it becomes a chore then no I won't "do it" for "doing it" sake.

And you're right about Sonic 2 on the DC, it's virtually impossible to get "A" grades on all the levels. I don't even think there is a cheat for it. So I never unlocked the Green Hill stage either.
Mon 21/04/03 at 21:30
Regular
Are you a completionist?
In that you MUST collect and unlock every last item/character (etc) in a game.
I am.
Almost to the point of irrational obsession.

I recall Jet Set Radio Future.
I finished the Story Mode and then came the Street Challenges which (if you've not played the game) consists of going back into each level and completing specific tasks in order to collect hidden Graffiti Souls which unlock extra playable characters and time trial modes.
I had to do it, even if on occasion I found myself lost or frustrated at having to try and try again certain challenges.
I didn't stop playing until I'd done it, and in the case of JSRF, it took me roughly about 50 hours game time.
Time well spent in my opinion.

And I nearly always do the same thing with every other game I like.
I don't feel like I've finished a game until every last drop of gameplay has been drained from its cup.
And on top of this, I purposely seek out and buy games that offer such "collectability".

But this mini-obsession can also be a mini-curse, especially when amassing every last item proves to be almost impossible.

Take Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast.
I seriously wanted to unlock the old Mega Drive 'Green Hill Stage' from Sonic 1, but to do this you have to acquire "A" grades on all the levels.
Now to my mind this is almost impossible, unless you're willing to play the same levels over and over like a fanatic for at least 6 months.
I couldn't do it, and in the end I conceded defeat.
Every day I'd look at it and it would just annoy me, so I sold it to get the darn thing out of my hair.

Another thing that truly amazes me is gamers who abandon games they like halfway through.
A friend of mine does this all the time, most recently with Splinter Cell.
He likes the game, but he's not touched it for a couple of months. His progress is somewhere at a mid-level save point on Mission 7 or something.
As a completionist I find this carefree mid-game abandonment weirdly baffling.

So, are you are completionist?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.