GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Let us play the game with freedom."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/11/01 at 20:53
Regular
Relaxing on my bed, staring at the sealing, thinking. Then it occurred to me, the differences, yet similarities that all games have, making them so irritating to play.

I have some comments that I would like to point out, regarding mistakes in many games that do not make them worthwhile. Would you like to know what they are? I’ll tell you…

Let’s begin with the movement of your characters. A prime example? The Resident Evil games. Make your character walk towards a wall. When there, keep walking. What happens? Your character continuously carries on; not realizing that there is an obstacle as such in their way. The game’s programmers could have made it a little more real.

Then there’s the detail in every game. Okay…you may not need to open certain doors, cupboards, draws, etc… But wouldn’t it be nice to see that you could. Very well, it’s only a game and I know it doesn’t have to be perfect or anything, but come on. Make them a little more like reality. The whole idea is to feel as though you are in the action, right? Well, why not do it then? You hear the developers say that they expect the players to feel as if they are in the storyline, but they only talk, they don’t do anything about it. Another good example? Here it goes… Take GT3 for instance. The environments are breathtaking, so why not let us check out the scenery in the ‘Free Run’ mode. The trees look so cool. Why can’t we stop and check them out, too, by driving over the gravel and into the forests?

The regeneration of your adversaries - Isn’t this the worst part of a game, especially First Person Shooters? Okay, I’ll give FPS’s a break. After all, the whole idea is to shoot as many bad guys as you can, but Action Adventure titles? What’s up with the enemies returning? You kill one bad guy and he reappears the next time you walk into that particular room. How annoying is that?

Finally…let as play the game with freedom for once in our lives. Pleeeaaase!!! Have you realised that in every game, you are required to either unlock something, or find something to unlock something else? How incredibly frustrating can that be? Still, it does make the game more compelling, but I only approve of this when it comes to Action Adventures such as, Silent Hill 2 and Platformer titles such as, Jak & Daxter. But fighting games? Ugh! Why do they do that? It’s not exactly a privilege, having to tap yourself on the shoulder for unlocking another character. Let us play the game with freedom. A ‘beet ‘em up’ is the best example to point out for this. An action adventure needs you to unlock stuff, because that’s the whole point of those games. The theme is based around it. But I don’t understand what’s based around the reason for having to unlock other characters in fighting games. You brought it to play with a character that you have been looking forward to play with, obviously. But what if one day you watched some footage of a fighting game that you wanted to buy. Okay…you bought the game, brought it home, and found out that you had to complete it ten times before playing with the character you wanted all this time? The problem with this is that it prevents you from wanting to play it again; you get so fed up of completing it over and over again, so you just give up at the end, still not getting the chance to play with a particular character you had wanted to use. The same thing applies for different game modes.

There are several other flaws I can point out, but I haven’t the strength.

However, does anyone agree with me on this?
Sun 18/11/01 at 20:53
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Relaxing on my bed, staring at the sealing, thinking. Then it occurred to me, the differences, yet similarities that all games have, making them so irritating to play.

I have some comments that I would like to point out, regarding mistakes in many games that do not make them worthwhile. Would you like to know what they are? I’ll tell you…

Let’s begin with the movement of your characters. A prime example? The Resident Evil games. Make your character walk towards a wall. When there, keep walking. What happens? Your character continuously carries on; not realizing that there is an obstacle as such in their way. The game’s programmers could have made it a little more real.

Then there’s the detail in every game. Okay…you may not need to open certain doors, cupboards, draws, etc… But wouldn’t it be nice to see that you could. Very well, it’s only a game and I know it doesn’t have to be perfect or anything, but come on. Make them a little more like reality. The whole idea is to feel as though you are in the action, right? Well, why not do it then? You hear the developers say that they expect the players to feel as if they are in the storyline, but they only talk, they don’t do anything about it. Another good example? Here it goes… Take GT3 for instance. The environments are breathtaking, so why not let us check out the scenery in the ‘Free Run’ mode. The trees look so cool. Why can’t we stop and check them out, too, by driving over the gravel and into the forests?

The regeneration of your adversaries - Isn’t this the worst part of a game, especially First Person Shooters? Okay, I’ll give FPS’s a break. After all, the whole idea is to shoot as many bad guys as you can, but Action Adventure titles? What’s up with the enemies returning? You kill one bad guy and he reappears the next time you walk into that particular room. How annoying is that?

Finally…let as play the game with freedom for once in our lives. Pleeeaaase!!! Have you realised that in every game, you are required to either unlock something, or find something to unlock something else? How incredibly frustrating can that be? Still, it does make the game more compelling, but I only approve of this when it comes to Action Adventures such as, Silent Hill 2 and Platformer titles such as, Jak & Daxter. But fighting games? Ugh! Why do they do that? It’s not exactly a privilege, having to tap yourself on the shoulder for unlocking another character. Let us play the game with freedom. A ‘beet ‘em up’ is the best example to point out for this. An action adventure needs you to unlock stuff, because that’s the whole point of those games. The theme is based around it. But I don’t understand what’s based around the reason for having to unlock other characters in fighting games. You brought it to play with a character that you have been looking forward to play with, obviously. But what if one day you watched some footage of a fighting game that you wanted to buy. Okay…you bought the game, brought it home, and found out that you had to complete it ten times before playing with the character you wanted all this time? The problem with this is that it prevents you from wanting to play it again; you get so fed up of completing it over and over again, so you just give up at the end, still not getting the chance to play with a particular character you had wanted to use. The same thing applies for different game modes.

There are several other flaws I can point out, but I haven’t the strength.

However, does anyone agree with me on this?
Sun 18/11/01 at 20:55
Regular
Son Of Liberty wrote:
> Relaxing on my bed, staring at the sealing

Do I want to read on?

:P
Sun 18/11/01 at 20:59
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Son Of Liberty wrote:
> Relaxing on my bed, staring at the sealing

Do I
> want to read on?

:P

This is the funniest thing I have heard all week. Thank you. Yes you do want to read on. I had a feeling that someone would reply stating something like that, but unfortunaltey I hadn't another word to replce it with.

Sorry everyone.
Sun 18/11/01 at 21:03
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
A MESSAGE TO ALL (not shouting) lol

Please forgive my stupidness regardig my first sentence. I know it sounds rude, but I had no other word ot replace the others with. I looked at it thinking the same thing, but what could I do?

I am very sorry about this and I hope I have not ruined anyone's time in reading it.

Thank you,

Son Of Liberty
Sun 18/11/01 at 21:22
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
I do not mean this i a rude way, but does not anyone wish to read on after reading the first sentance, just b/c it looks like something rude. Would no one like to read about what I have to say.

Or maybe my post is not worthy enough?

Once again, I hope nobody takes this in the wrong way at all?
Sun 18/11/01 at 21:43
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
The bit about the draws and interacting with the scenery isn't that bad but if they did allow these more 'realistic' features in a game then it would take up so much memory that extra levels and so on would be deleted and the whole level of gameplay would need to be compromised down, would you want that? Also you won't want to be cecking through vast amounts of draws and cupboards in a game to look for a specific item when you can have say one draw that opens whic is the right one, see?

The same goes for being able to explore the scenery in racing games, it would simply take up too mcuh memory not to mention programming and at the end of the day it's just not worth it for most games.

The thing about Resident Evil and how the characters move, I think this is because when running around the characters always go at the same speed wheras in real life your speed would vary, it lets you slide off walls and so on so you don't have to keep stopping then running again, it would be too annoying and wouldn't be as much fun.

About the enemis returning thing, I agree that is annoying and should be changed, I think thats something to do with the computer automatically loading it every time you enter the room and programmers dont change it for once you've beaten the bad guy.

I also agree about having to complete certain games over and over again to get different endings (Fighting games earning extra certain characters isn't so bad I wouldn't think) is annoying, Silent Hill on the Playstation is a prime example of this, you need to complete the game in no less than four different ways to see all the endings, there is no way I would complete the game over and over just to get new endings when all I do is one or two things differently and there's no new challenge for me apart from doing what iv'e done once already again only slightly different.

It's not worth it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.