GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation 2 "Disc Read Error" help"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/04/03 at 12:48
Regular
I'm sure its been asked before but i need a bit of help with my ps2.
I got it for christmas 2001 and since yesterday it worked fine.
I played the Getaway up until i had to rescue the kid in the mansion mission. I saved and decided to play Pro evo 2. However it came up with disc read error. I tried a few more times and it didn't work.

I then tried 5 games to see what happened.

The Getaway - worked fine
Snooker 2002 - worked fine
Timesplitters 2 -Disc read error
Pro Evo 2 - Disc read error
Splinter cell - Disc read error

I tried pro evo loads more and eventually it worked. I then switched it off and tried to play it again but it said disc read error again. I then tried it again this morning and it again said disc read error,

I am quite annoyed as a mate of mine not only has had his longer but he plays dvds and his works fine.

Any help would be great!
Thu 01/05/03 at 21:24
Regular
thanx guys. I thought I would never be able to play such great games as the matrix, true crime, ZOE2 or even the nxt GTA game or Driver 3. oh, my worries are over!!
Thu 01/05/03 at 15:42
Regular
Hi,

I bet your PS2 model number is "SCPH-30003". These are the old pre-order PS2's which have dodgy lens/drives in them. Mine worked for years up until the end of last year.

Ring Sony:

08705 998877

They will let you swap your PS2 for a refurbished new one for 65 pounds (price may have changed now - you'll get a newer model than the 30003 [drive components updated from cheap ones and other bits removed] and a 3 month guarentee).

Your notice perfect circle scratches on your discs (caused by your PS2). Check your DVD's as well. If you tell them, then they will give you their "consumer services" address. You can send off your scratched discs and they will repair them for free (if damage caused by PS2 - perfect circles).

Me.
Tue 29/04/03 at 20:15
Back to this disk read malarkey, I reckon the lens is perhaps dirty, because a similar thing happened to my hi-fi. It could only play some disks, and sometimes it skipped tracks in the CD and stuff. Maybe all you needed to do was to take it to someone that could open it and clean it.
Tue 29/04/03 at 19:49
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
The similar thing happened to me. It didn't read my discs. How long have you had it?
Tue 29/04/03 at 14:11
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Sounds like a scratched or dirty disc to me. The fact that it'll read the DVD at all indicates that the PS2 itself is OK.

I had a similar problems with MGS - right at the end of the game as well - try and give it a clean CAREFULLY or take it back and get a replacement.
Tue 29/04/03 at 12:15
Regular
Help
I have many games for ps2 , but Splinter Cell in not running in my ps2, even when i put disk in it , it sarts with Ubi soft adv. and intro movie after that at the screen of asking whether to save when we come to the point to start mission at the moment pressing X it goes to the screen which shows disk error that i havent put the PS OR PS2 DISK , the thing didnt get is that even reading all the stuff why it stuck at game mission if any one of u knows help me
Sun 27/04/03 at 23:07
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
X-Ray Cat wrote:
> My cusin has a PS2 and the fan at the reverse of his (to the left of
> the expansion bay) gives out a lot more air then mine. You can barely
> feel the air from mine. Is there any way to cure this build up of dust
> or whatever it is?

Using a hoover with a nozzle attachment once every few days works for me. If you think your PS2 is on its way out and the warranty's gone you can get a refurbished one from Sony Customer Services for £65 at uk.playstation.com once you've returned your old one.
Sun 27/04/03 at 19:54
Regular
My PS2 only plays ONE game. Max Payne.

I have a lot of other games like:

The Getaway
Vice City
PES2
TimeSplitters 2
GTA3
WRC
V-Rally 3
Onimusha 2.....etc.

yet none of them work.

I have tried the 'Diagnosis ON' method and it did not work. And the sellottape method has yet to be tried but one thing concerns me.

My cusin has a PS2 and the fan at the reverse of his (to the left of the expansion bay) gives out a lot more air then mine. You can barely feel the air from mine. Is there any way to cure this build up of dust or whatever it is?
Thu 24/04/03 at 17:41
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Same thing happens to my launch day machine.

--------
I got this advise from a nice guy who does repairs (taken from his mail):

The PS2 is now on V8, and apart from the motherboard being miniaturised, the key thing that seems to change as the versions progress is the laser mech. To be honest, they're awful in v1 - v4 machines, which is why I only work on v5 or higher. To cut a long story short, the old PS2 lasers used plastic parts where they now use metal, notably on the laser shuttle rails - the prob with the old ones is that as they get used and used, the plastic starts to compress and wear down, making the laser lens fall a few vital hundredths of a millimeter away from the disc surface. This leads to disc reading errors, and as you note, skipping or freezing dvd playback.
-------
His advice was to buy a new PS2 - repairing it would only mean the same thing happens in 1 or 2 years, and the cost of repair is about 2/3 of the cost of a new PS2 at 160 quid. You could try the other fixes (weigh the disk down etc), but I'm saving up for a new machine.

Hope this helps.
Wed 23/04/03 at 13:17
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
This normally happens with the blue coloured discs. Try cleaning them with a lint-free cloth (and perhaps a dab of rubbing alcohol) by wiping the cloth horizontally from the centre hole to the outside of the disc.

***Try switching on your PS2 without a game disc inside and wait until you get to the main menu. Now press Triangle to bring up the 'Version' info, highlight 'Console' and press Triangle again. Now set the 'Diagnosis' to 'On'. This focuses the laser on the disc so that it has an easier time reading discs.***

Finally the unorthodox method. Place two one-inch-long strips of sellotape on the face of the disc (the side with the game name, not the delicate underside) on opposite sides as close to the centre hole as possible. The disc will then use the two symmetrical bits of tape to balance itself on the laser, thus making it easier to read. If this tactic doesn't work straight away, try attaching two more one-inch-long strips of tape to the sides of the disc hole that don't have tape on them, so you end up with a perfectly right-angled box of tape surrounding the centre hole.

If you're still having problems it's safest to call Sony's careline on 08705 998877 before you go doing anything potentially more damaging to your machine.

(Reproduced without permission from OPSM2 magazine, p138, Issue 32, April 2003).

***This method works for me everytime, my PS2 is old and from time to time has problems reading CD-ROM format, but turning Diagnosis 'On' solves the problem. As my PS2 gets even older I suspect I'll be moving onto the Sellotape method.***

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.