GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The End."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/11/01 at 15:10
Regular
Oh yes! You finally have done it, worked through the whole game and YES you did it! What am I on about? I am on about the end of a game. The boss, the big finale and that ever so important Ending outro.

But, something is bothering me. I have 14+ N64 games and they are all good, when a game is good, it usually means it’s a big game and full of things to do which funnily enough all my games are rock ‘ard and full of fun.

Well this thing that’s bothering me, it’s at the end of a game. This is usually where a big boss is and it’s a ‘ard un to beat. Which usually results in a big sigh of relief and a lovely ending sequence. But, why bother spending so much time making a good outro and not many people reach the actual end?

This has never happened to me because I’m so good :o) not really but it’s a shame so much hard work and effort goes into making the end and so few people actually see it.
Just thinking about it now there must be so many cool bosses, and ending sequences that have never seen the light of day, they have been shut away for years on end, never been talked to, never had “Cool” said to them, never had anything…

So why make the ending so special? I mean why not just have a little screen saying “Woohoo, You won” but nobody would ever see it or only the very elite because the game was so damned hard and bloody huge.
But that’s the point, only the very elite get to the end of one of those games, so the last thing they remember is the ending sequence, or the boss, or just something special that’s at the end of a game.

Personally I think it’s a little trick. They make a good end, so you tell everyone about the game and how good is was etc etc BUT, they could just be making the ending good because they want you, the player, to enjoy the game. (Or at least the end :oP )

So what makes an ending sequence? I would say its made out of a few things like..

…Music, you would want the music to be either fast paced on the boss, or even quiet then a sudden loud part, to get you in the mood for beating the submission out of aliens and the such. You don’t want hard pounding hardcore music in a dark tunnel now would you?

Background.. Depending on what type of boss you were fighting would depend on the background. A big ‘ol meaty boss deserves a nice gloomy setting, with perhaps skeletons of other victims aligned on the wall like bottles, just for show of course :o)
In my days of fighting bosses on quake and doom they usually were on some sort of platform with usually some kind of liquid surrounding that part, that if you touched you would die. Something just to keep you on your toes.

Lighting.. Well, again this aspect depends on the boss, but normally you are fighting a boss in the dark, or a dark, damp, gloomy setting. Something that the boss can usually “hide” in, even though they are about 100ft taller than you but they strangely still always need to hide. Baffles me.

Help.. Well, big bosses always have some kinds of help, may it be a place where they can regenerate their health or some other smaller beasties. They usually spawn mini types of themselves. Just to make things that little bit harder. (As if fighting a 100ft monster isn’t hard enough)

Room.. Where ever they fight you, you usually end up in a room funnily. Normally it’s a big dome shaped one for no apparent reason but still you end up trapped with something big to kill.

Weapons.. By the time you reach him (Its never a girl is it?!) you have collected all the parts of a weapon or the best upgrade for them or a magic sword, but your best and strongest weapon never seems to have effect on the boss. Quite weird that one.

The boss.. Is usually a big boss, with no vulnerabilities, you only have a certain time to hit him, its either counter attacking him or aiming for a certain part, but its nearly always when he is attacking you and you only have about 3 seconds to hit back. He normally dies then comes back alive again, which has been used in even the very early games. Donkey Kong Country 3 for the SNES, (Amazing graphics) You had to kill the boss at the end….. About 3 times :o) You give out your sigh of relief then it came back alive again :-D

The end… In earlier games you beat the boss, the world was saved and you get a screen saying “The End” which in those days was fine. It hasn’t changed much in those 30+ years (:oD) But you nearly always get an outro. Which is the most special thing in the whole game. Or at least it should be among the special section.

So why don’t companies go banana’s and make something completely off the rails? Would fighting a cute pink fluffy little monster at the end of Half-Life be so funny?

If you ever get to the end of a game, just hope its as good as you expected…

I hope you have enjoyed reading my little (Little :-D) topic about ending’s and bosses.

Thanks for reading
GasMask
Sun 18/11/01 at 15:10
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Oh yes! You finally have done it, worked through the whole game and YES you did it! What am I on about? I am on about the end of a game. The boss, the big finale and that ever so important Ending outro.

But, something is bothering me. I have 14+ N64 games and they are all good, when a game is good, it usually means it’s a big game and full of things to do which funnily enough all my games are rock ‘ard and full of fun.

Well this thing that’s bothering me, it’s at the end of a game. This is usually where a big boss is and it’s a ‘ard un to beat. Which usually results in a big sigh of relief and a lovely ending sequence. But, why bother spending so much time making a good outro and not many people reach the actual end?

This has never happened to me because I’m so good :o) not really but it’s a shame so much hard work and effort goes into making the end and so few people actually see it.
Just thinking about it now there must be so many cool bosses, and ending sequences that have never seen the light of day, they have been shut away for years on end, never been talked to, never had “Cool” said to them, never had anything…

So why make the ending so special? I mean why not just have a little screen saying “Woohoo, You won” but nobody would ever see it or only the very elite because the game was so damned hard and bloody huge.
But that’s the point, only the very elite get to the end of one of those games, so the last thing they remember is the ending sequence, or the boss, or just something special that’s at the end of a game.

Personally I think it’s a little trick. They make a good end, so you tell everyone about the game and how good is was etc etc BUT, they could just be making the ending good because they want you, the player, to enjoy the game. (Or at least the end :oP )

So what makes an ending sequence? I would say its made out of a few things like..

…Music, you would want the music to be either fast paced on the boss, or even quiet then a sudden loud part, to get you in the mood for beating the submission out of aliens and the such. You don’t want hard pounding hardcore music in a dark tunnel now would you?

Background.. Depending on what type of boss you were fighting would depend on the background. A big ‘ol meaty boss deserves a nice gloomy setting, with perhaps skeletons of other victims aligned on the wall like bottles, just for show of course :o)
In my days of fighting bosses on quake and doom they usually were on some sort of platform with usually some kind of liquid surrounding that part, that if you touched you would die. Something just to keep you on your toes.

Lighting.. Well, again this aspect depends on the boss, but normally you are fighting a boss in the dark, or a dark, damp, gloomy setting. Something that the boss can usually “hide” in, even though they are about 100ft taller than you but they strangely still always need to hide. Baffles me.

Help.. Well, big bosses always have some kinds of help, may it be a place where they can regenerate their health or some other smaller beasties. They usually spawn mini types of themselves. Just to make things that little bit harder. (As if fighting a 100ft monster isn’t hard enough)

Room.. Where ever they fight you, you usually end up in a room funnily. Normally it’s a big dome shaped one for no apparent reason but still you end up trapped with something big to kill.

Weapons.. By the time you reach him (Its never a girl is it?!) you have collected all the parts of a weapon or the best upgrade for them or a magic sword, but your best and strongest weapon never seems to have effect on the boss. Quite weird that one.

The boss.. Is usually a big boss, with no vulnerabilities, you only have a certain time to hit him, its either counter attacking him or aiming for a certain part, but its nearly always when he is attacking you and you only have about 3 seconds to hit back. He normally dies then comes back alive again, which has been used in even the very early games. Donkey Kong Country 3 for the SNES, (Amazing graphics) You had to kill the boss at the end….. About 3 times :o) You give out your sigh of relief then it came back alive again :-D

The end… In earlier games you beat the boss, the world was saved and you get a screen saying “The End” which in those days was fine. It hasn’t changed much in those 30+ years (:oD) But you nearly always get an outro. Which is the most special thing in the whole game. Or at least it should be among the special section.

So why don’t companies go banana’s and make something completely off the rails? Would fighting a cute pink fluffy little monster at the end of Half-Life be so funny?

If you ever get to the end of a game, just hope its as good as you expected…

I hope you have enjoyed reading my little (Little :-D) topic about ending’s and bosses.

Thanks for reading
GasMask
Sun 18/11/01 at 15:33
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Right, hand up if anyone out there hasn't completed almost all of the console games they've ever owned.

Thing is, most people DO see the ending.
Sun 18/11/01 at 15:47
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
GasMask wrote:

Yes it would be, that's why we love games like Banjo Tooie.

A boss adds suspense to a level, like the climax, the something you know is going to happen and you always wonder what it will be like, this is especially true in Turok games.

Rubbish endings ruin games, ever played Shadowman? This games was great fun to play but the ending was really lame and short. A good ending leaves a good mark in your memory leaving you wanting more wodering what else happens, good games leave you asking questions and leting your imagination finish the game off.
Sun 18/11/01 at 15:49
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Ah, but the cool thing shadowman had that most games don't, is an ending for when you lose to the final boss, too.

Which will happen several times.
Sun 18/11/01 at 15:55
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Yeah but the one thing Shadowman didn't have was an ending when you actually beat Legion.

The story was damn good all the way through and the twist just before you fight Legion was great but then once you kill him, all you see is Mike LeRoi (sorry, Shadowman - Michael LeRoi has no place in Deadside) running out of Deadside.

The game was still brilliant mind. Who thinks Shadowman 2 can live up to it? Not me....but I'll still buy it. :-D
Sun 18/11/01 at 17:24
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
VenomByte wrote:
> Right, hand up if anyone out there hasn't completed almost all of the console
> games they've ever owned.

Thing is, most people DO see the ending.

Well, im just crap then.

OR. Have you got Both Zelda's? Goldeneye, Perfect Dark? Right to complete those games FULLY you are lokoing at about 200+ hours. Im not on about agent or the first difficulty im talking about the whole entire game.
Sun 18/11/01 at 21:29
Regular
VenomByte wrote:
> Right, hand up if anyone out there hasn't completed almost all of the console
> games they've ever owned.

Have you seen all my ZX Spectrum games, most of which don't have an ending, they just carry on going? If I remember correctly, Gauntlet is one of those that doesn't end.
Sun 18/11/01 at 21:34
Regular
I wrote something like this cant rememmber it too well.

Best Ending...

Conker 2 shocks and the most depressing ending ever I WANT THE SEQUEL!
Mon 19/11/01 at 15:48
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
For those of us that are old enough to drink beer, if you have jobs and social lives, there just isn't enough time to finish most games. I'm lucky if I spend an hour a day gaming. And on the odd weekend I have to myself, I immerse myself in games, but it's the old adage of too many games, not enough time.

Plus most half-decent games nowadays require a heck of a long time to complete. 50-odd hours for FF9? that took me a couple of months. GT3? I dread to think how long that takes to 'finish' it all. I wish I did have more time to dedicate to my array of consoley goodness, but it's not going to happen, so I have the choice of finishing a few games, or playing more and finishing less. Which would you do?

And as for fighting pink fluffy monsters, you ever play Parodius?
Mon 19/11/01 at 18:29
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Jonman wrote:

And as for fighting pink fluffy monsters, you ever play Parodius?

Nope. But hey anything happens these days :o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.