GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Competition A Good Thing."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/11/01 at 18:52
Regular
With Dreamcast and Playstation 2 out now, and GameCube and X Box out next year, theres going to be a lot of competition for your hard earned cash. Is this competition a good thing?

Competition is Good because:

Console prices are forced down in an attempt to gain the largest fanbase possible and make money on the software sales.

Consoles have to be worth buying, manufacturers cant get away with making only minor updates and expecting you to buy them (ie. 32X, Mega CD etc. Also known as the beginning of the end for Sega)

Games developers are forced to work harder to make a game utilise a machine to the best of its specifications, due to competition from not only other companies but also games on rival consoles that are very similar in style.

Game prices are forced down to be in line with rival machines prices, which in turn counters the drop with a price of its own.

Competition is Bad because:

Quality games are spread across too many platforms, consumer forced to pay for multiple consoles to play the games they used to play on one console (eg. WWF Games - I bought a Playstation, N64, Dreamcast, and Im getting a PS2 just to play these!) and games that would have otherwise came out on their console eg. Abes Oddesey being moved from PS2 to X Box, Resident Evil Being moved from PS2 to GameCube.

Conversions between systems take up development time that could be used to make new superior games. Game developers often take 3 years making a game, then 2 years converting it to other platforms.

Harder to commit to a particular console, for the developer as they dont know how the console will perform, and for the gamer as they dont know what systems their favourite developers will make games for (The future releases of X Box and GameCube were one of the main factors that delayed me from buying a PS2 straight away, I had to know that the others wouldnt have market dominance.)

Manufacturers can get away with making unoriginal copies of games by just changing characters and settings then releasing them on other platforms, which generally results in inferior games eg.Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing.

New Consoles are forced out sooner to compete with the graphical capabilities of newer consoles, so the longevity of a console is greatly reduced. Mega Drives and Snes's lated 6 years, Playstation has lasted over 6 years, PS2 will most likely be replace by PS3 in less than 4 years.

So Is competition Good or not?

Well the answer is yes, but in moderation. Obviously having only one system out there would result in a monopoly, that will allow a company to release barely changed updates, and through lack of support for older versions ensure that the new system has to be bought (Microsoft are a prime example with their PC Software, so if they win the console war, god help us all), but having too much competition means that the gamer has to pay more to play their favourite games as they are forced to buy more companies consoles, more often and have less security in the quality of the games that will come out.

Sega have effectively been taken out of the race as a Hardware manufacturer and will instead concentrate on producing great software for all systems (should be no problem there, whats the bet that the Dreamcast conversions will become some of the favourite games of the PS2/GameCube/X Box gamer, how ironic is that). That leaves 3 Companies and 3 machines out there.

Nintendo have a proven track record of consistently great games, but in recent years has seen a lack of 3rd party support (most probably due the N64's expensive to produce, and limited memory cartridges. With the release of GameCube will Nintendo regret storing games on a new format rather than the standardise DVD format PS2 and X Box favour, or will they have the last laugh as pirates destroy the software sales of the two competitors.

Sony are a relatively new enry to video games this being only their second machine, but they have a proven track record of quality entertainment goods, and also have the cool factor, their brand is simply seen as more cool than the competitors, but supposedly being difficult to program for, will Sony have only a short run as leader in the games market.

And then theres Microsoft, the dark horse, whose X Box is their first foray into console gaming, generally considered the most powerful machine of the 3, but also the most disliked, be it because of it large unattractive stature, or the fact that it sounds like a PC in a box. Microsoft arent the most popular out there, but will the power of the machine simply ensure its dominance of the games market.

So, theres going to be a lot of competition out there for your money, but likely, both Sony's PS2 and Nintendo's GameCube will still be great consoles in 3 years time, Sony's headstart in building a customer base as well as the public perception as being the coolest console will ensure they suceed. Nintendo's loyal fans and consistently great games from both nintendo themselves and nintendo friendly games developers such as Rare will ensure that the GameCube will at least be enough of a success to keep nintendo in business (the N64 would have killed them had it not been for Pokemon). Then theres Microsoft, who will no doubt do their best to tell everyone how powerful their console is, but without a built in fanbase and the public perception of being uncool (Bill Gates has been personally promoting the X Box, how on earth could it seem cool with him promoting!), the future of X Box is still undecided, will they muscle their way in like Sony did in 95, or will the X Box be the failure that systems such as CDi, 3DO and Jaguar were, claiming its the most powerful system ever, but still not selling.

Only one things for sure, these companies will do their best to compete with each other in the next year, which should prove most interesting, but the only question is, is it really a good thing?
Mon 19/11/01 at 13:31
"MMMMM, Chicken"
Isnt it strange how off topic some posts can get.
Sat 17/11/01 at 21:45
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> It wasn't you who spelt my name wrong, FB, it was Nick1...

Oh, well then I'm sorry for flying off the handle. As for (that's got to be my two words of the night, I've used them a hell of a lot!) MSN, I'm going to have to get myself that messenger service. It sounds really good and I'm always hearing you all talk about it. Where can I make an account?

Cheers.
Firebalt.
Sat 17/11/01 at 20:59
Regular
"You've upset me"
LOL@GAZ!

Why've you signed off MSN?
Sat 17/11/01 at 20:59
Regular
"You've upset me"
It wasn't you who spelt my name wrong, FB, it was Nick1...
Sat 17/11/01 at 20:49
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> yessss.....

ah-ha! my chance arrises!

SPAMMERS! SPAMMERS!

oh, that
> felt good.

(he he he he he he)

You total and utter git. Just leave.
Sat 17/11/01 at 20:40
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Stop spamming you idiots.

And why do all newbies get my name
> wrong?

RastaBillyStank?! WHAT!?

Read properly you damn imbeciles.
> RastaBillySkank

Well sorry, but I wasn't paying particular attention. Please show mercy. As for Tiltawhirl, sorry (as I said in the original post), but I thought it relevant. I can feel the flamers breathing down my neck already.

Firebalt.
Sat 17/11/01 at 20:15
Regular
"You've upset me"
Stop spamming you idiots.

And why do all newbies get my name wrong?

RastaBillyStank?! WHAT!?

Read properly you damn imbeciles. RastaBillySkank
Sat 17/11/01 at 20:07
"period drama"
yessss.....

ah-ha! my chance arrises!

SPAMMERS! SPAMMERS!

oh, that felt good.

(he he he he he he)
Sat 17/11/01 at 19:57
Regular
Was there any need to post the whole message again?
Sat 17/11/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Nick1 wrote:
> Firebalt wrote:
> Nick1 wrote:
> Firebalt wrote:
> Nick1
> wrote:
> Firebalt
> wrote:
> Nick1
> wrote:
> You write a
> lot
> & I got
>
> bored

Yeah, he does
> write a
>
> lot. If you're bored, pop
> over
> to
> Queensland Drive, my
>
> cousin is having a laugh
> here, not
> that
> I agree with
> it
> or
> anything! He's endorsing "Cheeky
> bum
>
> sex".
> He wanted me
> to
> say this, "He's big,
> he's round, weak
> and
> bounce
> him
> along the
> ground."
> I'll try to
> stop him being any
>
> further
>
>
>
> blasphemous.

Firebalt.

Thanks, I'll be round
> in
>
>
> 15mins

Great, great. So, I'd guess that you're 6 minutes away.
> I'll
>
> be
> getting the beers and the drugs ready. Oh dear, I'm
> too stoned to go
> to
> the door
> and find out what my door number
> is. Oh, too bad. Just
> knock on
> every door until
> you find a
> stoned dude with glasses answer
> the door -
> that'll be me. Wait,
> wait,
> how can you read this? Anywho,
> lets get back to
> the
> topic, I don't want to spoil
> it for you
> Dringo.

What do you
> mean
> when you said don't wan't to spoil it for
> dringo. Anyway I'm
> drunk &
> half-stoned so I might be a few hours ...
> wow all the
> funny dots

I hate to keep quoting, but I think this is relevant,
> so
> please let me off. By "spoiling", I meant spoling the topic. If
> a
> topic has a lot of spam and useless posts on it, nobody wants to read
> it. One or
> two bad posts on a topic spoils it. As for the stonedness...see
> you in a few
> hours. I'll be at my cousins for another 2 hours, then I have
> the 40 minute
> drive home, then I watch TV for an hour, then I eat and then
> I go to bed. I'm
> only 13 you know! Oops, did I forget to mention
> that?

Firebalt.
i'm 13 to oh shi...shugar i'm all out

Ok, but you're missing a lot of fun! Nice post RastaBillyStank. Very nice indeed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.