GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who thinks the X-box is going to be a success? I do!!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 19/08/00 at 00:15
Regular
Before I start let me say that I'm a Ninty fan and will always be one. The Dolphin is the only next gen console I'm going to buy. However I would like to know the opinions on those Ninty fans out there regarding the X-box. First lets read the stats. In the next gen war in terms of pure polygon pushing power the X-box is a clear winner, being 3 times faster than the fony greystation 2 with the dolphin coming in second. Secondly microsoft have gone to developers and asked them what they want out of a console. The x-box thus will be the easiest to program for and in essence the x-box console has been made for games and not the other way. Where's the catch. Well microsoft haven't got an icon, a Mario or Sonic (come to think of it neither has fony, unless you count bandicoot as one - I don't). Games is were the problem lies with the X-box. Microsoft traditionally a PC company and many of us know, PC games don't translate well to console and vice versa. However major developers have already signed to produce for the X-box (inc. EA and Konami). Online gaming is covered with high bandwidth access coming with the machine, and not as an expensive peripheral that fony plan to bring out. So in terms of technology the X-box is way ahead of the competition. The question is will the X-box have the games to go with what is admitidly a very powerful piece of hardware. We'll have to see. What do the rest of you Ninty fans think. I ain't worried about the dolphins success but I do think the PS2 is going to struggle in the next few years. What do the loyal Ninty fans think of this powerhouse of a company (microsoft) and its X-box?
Sat 19/08/00 at 00:15
Before I start let me say that I'm a Ninty fan and will always be one. The Dolphin is the only next gen console I'm going to buy. However I would like to know the opinions on those Ninty fans out there regarding the X-box. First lets read the stats. In the next gen war in terms of pure polygon pushing power the X-box is a clear winner, being 3 times faster than the fony greystation 2 with the dolphin coming in second. Secondly microsoft have gone to developers and asked them what they want out of a console. The x-box thus will be the easiest to program for and in essence the x-box console has been made for games and not the other way. Where's the catch. Well microsoft haven't got an icon, a Mario or Sonic (come to think of it neither has fony, unless you count bandicoot as one - I don't). Games is were the problem lies with the X-box. Microsoft traditionally a PC company and many of us know, PC games don't translate well to console and vice versa. However major developers have already signed to produce for the X-box (inc. EA and Konami). Online gaming is covered with high bandwidth access coming with the machine, and not as an expensive peripheral that fony plan to bring out. So in terms of technology the X-box is way ahead of the competition. The question is will the X-box have the games to go with what is admitidly a very powerful piece of hardware. We'll have to see. What do the rest of you Ninty fans think. I ain't worried about the dolphins success but I do think the PS2 is going to struggle in the next few years. What do the loyal Ninty fans think of this powerhouse of a company (microsoft) and its X-box?
Sat 19/08/00 at 11:26
I don't like the X-box! It was originally going to be able to play PC games as well as games made just for it but now it can't!

That's my opinion.

Join the Nintendo Rules fan club!

www.smartgroups.com/groups/Nintyrules (free)
Sun 20/08/00 at 10:22
There's every chance the X-Box will succeed. Look at Sony with their PSX, little experience with games consoles beforehand, yet have made it bigtime. Now with Microsoft, they already have experience with gaming, but only on PC.

One question is:
"Can they adjust to console gaming, a place where Flight Simulations will not sell well?"

And another thing, when I see Sony, I reckon they won it with their marketing. Nintendo had hardly any, and look what happened to the N64.

Which leads to the second question:
"Are Microsoft a good marketing company?"

What I can tell you for sure, they really HAVE to get rid of that name!
Sun 20/08/00 at 20:21
Regular
Microsoft can make games - Starlancer and Midtown Madness for example - BUT, and this is a large BUT (No pun intended) can they make graphics cards processors and the likes? We know they make superb controllers, but when it comes to other technology, can they suceed? Its like the Flora company making marmalade. They can make butter.. But I will stick with who makes what best thanks.
Grix running fast out of ideas.
Sun 20/08/00 at 21:06
Hey grix, or whatever your name is (no offence intended). Microsoft DON'T need to be good in the hardware stakes. If your upto date then you would know that NVida are supplying the graphics chip for the X-box, and it makes the PS2 look very dated. They have Intel providing the main processor, so I don't think hardware is an issue. When the X-box comes out, it WILL be the most powerful console on the earth. The dolphin may have a few things over the X-box, like texture compression (which the X-box has, but it ain't as goog as nintys machine), but in comparrison to the PS2 (which isn't rubbish) the X-box is going to be 3 times more powerful than this machine. Microsoft will have trouble in the games section. If they overcome that, then who knows.
Mon 21/08/00 at 12:54
Regular
Hey don't worry, Grix isn't my real name (I'm not that dull). Anyway I did not know about the graphics chips and intel, thanks for telling me. Im still looking foward to seeing the controller though. Knoing microsoft they will probably sue anyone who tries to make a controller for it!
Mon 21/08/00 at 13:00
Regular
Hey don't worry, Grix isn't my real name (I'm not that dull). Anyway I did not know about the graphics chips and intel, thanks for telling me. Im still looking foward to seeing the controller though. Knoing microsoft they will probably sue anyone who tries to make a controller for it!
Mon 21/08/00 at 13:00
Regular
Humm. I think I did something wrong.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.