GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sega have NOT been bought out"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/04/03 at 15:38
Regular
Despite all the rumours, Sega have not been bought out. (thank god)

Instead, they've become partners with Team 17. (yay)

This means continued multi-format support as well as a wealth of franchises that are now going to see the Sega logo on them... (as well as a lot of Sega franchises with the Team 17 logo).

Hah! I said they wouldn't be bought out by Microsoft, and I knew they would be staying multi-format :D
Fri 25/04/03 at 23:39
Regular
aha - That first sentence in SR's news article does confuse things for the skim-reader...

(I've re-read the article again - it still seems confusing by that first sentence, but you're still right)
Fri 25/04/03 at 16:17
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Okay - I've just read the SR piece and realize Edgy must be trolling... or REALLY misunderstanding the situation. The article is about what seems like a publishing deal - Nintendo announced one today with Square for three Final Fantasy titles, that doesn't mean the two are in a formal partnership.

None of it has any effect on Sega's current dire situation. A Namco merger is a good thing, even if it just stopped Sammy getting them. Namco have a similarly glorious past, they've just managed to be smart in the last few years and side with the big hitters. Hell, even Microsoft would be better than Sammy.
Fri 25/04/03 at 16:10
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Edgy wrote:
> If I remember correctly, Namco wanted to 'buy' Sega, not become
> partners which is something else altogether.

They wanted to merge.

> Sega weren't for sale, instead they just wanted to expand,
> evidentally.

Well... yea and no. Sega need cash - obviously they want to expand from their loss making position.

> Team 17 have had many successes on the PC and are a profitable games
> company. Sega have had many console-game successes, and are a
> profitable games company - they're hardly struggling now.

Rubbish. Sega posted losses of 17.8 billion Yen for the last fiscal year. This follows three/four years of similar losses, only the last cash injection from Isao Okawa before he died has kept them going.

Look at it this way - the two main suggested buyers are Sammy, with net sales of 152 billion yen last year, and Namco, with around 85 billion yen. The offers for Sega are around the 120 billion yen mark. Do you think a small developer has that sort of cash? These are the sort of companys that are seen as able to turn things around at Sega - it isn't a tallent thing, it's a cash decision.

> A partnership allows Sega to continue using their name to sell games,
> a buyout could have removed that.

Simply, no. Being owned by a parent company would probably have little or no effect on how Sega ran, least of all on their name. One of their major assests is the Sega brand, no buyer would ditch that.
Fri 25/04/03 at 15:51
Regular
And before anyone asks, my source for this topic is Special Reserve :D
Fri 25/04/03 at 15:50
Regular
If I remember correctly, Namco wanted to 'buy' Sega, not become partners which is something else altogether.

Sega weren't for sale, instead they just wanted to expand, evidentally.

And so, they have.

Team 17 have had many successes on the PC and are a profitable games company. Sega have had many console-game successes, and are a profitable games company - they're hardly struggling now.

A partnership allows Sega to continue using their name to sell games, a buyout could have removed that.

So yay Team 17!
Fri 25/04/03 at 15:45
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Seriously - Team 17? What's that going to achieve? You think thay can bail out Sega? You think they've got the hundereds of millions sitting around to sort things out? A tasty injection of Namco flavoured cash is the best thing that could happen.
Fri 25/04/03 at 15:40
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Team 17, as in Worms?

Excellenté!
Fri 25/04/03 at 15:39
Regular
"Beaten with sticks"
yay!
Fri 25/04/03 at 15:38
Regular
Despite all the rumours, Sega have not been bought out. (thank god)

Instead, they've become partners with Team 17. (yay)

This means continued multi-format support as well as a wealth of franchises that are now going to see the Sega logo on them... (as well as a lot of Sega franchises with the Team 17 logo).

Hah! I said they wouldn't be bought out by Microsoft, and I knew they would be staying multi-format :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.