GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If Eidos can do it, so can Square Enix - remakes"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/05/07 at 01:08
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
"Cinema has shown that film goers like to see sequels or remakes of classics. The first Tomb Raider was a classic. We had requests from people to bring it up to date.

"We wanted to take all the seminal moments that everyone remembers from the first Tomb Raider and into an enhanced title, using technology from Crystal Dynamics, to make the game we always wanted to."

- Ian Livingstone (Eidos) talking about the original Tomb Raider remake for PS2, PSP and PC.

I can think of loads of movies that I'm glad have been remade, e.g Cape Fear with De Niro, because it gives a whole new generation who haven't bothered to watch the original version because it was in black and white and grainy a chance to experience some great storylines. On the flipside I can think of loads of movies that got remade pretty badly (Rollerball for example).

I can see remakes of old games being just as risky - on the one side it brings a whole new generation of gamers into contact with games that us old 'uns were reared on, on the other side if they're not up to par with current gen titles in terms of gameplay and graphics I can see the current generation of gamers wondering what all the fuss was about. So I can see why Square Enix are reluctant to bring FFVII up to date.

The one game of all time I'd like to see remade and brought up to date is Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (Strategic Simulations Inc., Megadrive). It was a 2D top down isometric turn-based move-about-on-a-grid strategy battle thing, but if they could revamp it into something that looks and plays as good as Enchanted Arms then I think that would work pretty well.

SSI got acquired by Mindscape in 1994, then spent a while as part of Mattel, then got bought by Ubisoft who retired SSI as a brand name in 2001. Maybe I should write to Ubisoft...
Fri 11/05/07 at 23:28
Regular
The FF series gets milked worse than Mario these days.
Fri 11/05/07 at 14:22
Regular
"lets go back"
FF3 doesn't even have a great story or massive fan base the way FF7 does. I really do hope they remake FF7.

They are remaking FF4 for DS too.
Fri 11/05/07 at 13:44
Regular
"8==="
Thay've already remade FF3 on the DS.
Fri 11/05/07 at 13:16
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Wooo Buck Rogers ruled, great game. The game (along with Champions of Krynn) that got me into Strategy RPG's.
Fri 11/05/07 at 12:32
Regular
"lets go back"
Everyone in the entire world would buy a remake of FF7, probably even if there was no new content at all. FF games are all pretty similar anyway; broody warrior male saves world from evil bad guy being assisted by a wizard and a hot chick. A graphical overhaul would be enough but if they wanted to make the odd change in item locations etc. or add a couple of new areas then even better.
Fri 11/05/07 at 05:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Well certainly the game mechanics have been done quite alot of times since then. After all it was just SSI's rpg system (from all the AD&D games) with a scifi theme.

And I think you can bet on a new Buck Rogers movie at some point given the current "remake everything" climate. I can hardly wait to see a modern interpretation of Twiki. :)
Fri 11/05/07 at 04:38
Regular
I was wondering about whether there'd be a market for it, then realised that Mass Effect is basically the same thing, it just doesn't have Buck Rogers in it :)

Think of the possibilities though: The whole Buck Rogers franchise thing could make a big comeback for a new generation, spawning more games, movies, merchandising etc. (Spiderman managed it). Then again they could still make the game but not necessarily call it a 'Buck Rogers' game, which brings us back to Mass Effect.
Fri 11/05/07 at 03:58
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> The one game of all time I'd like to see remade and brought up
> to date is Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (Strategic
> Simulations Inc., Megadrive). It was a 2D top down isometric
> turn-based move-about-on-a-grid strategy battle thing, but if
> they could revamp it into something that looks and plays as good
> as Enchanted Arms then I think that would work pretty well.

You're insane. :)
And thankfully, I dont think there'd be much of a market for a buck rogers game now. :P
Fri 11/05/07 at 01:08
Regular
"Cinema has shown that film goers like to see sequels or remakes of classics. The first Tomb Raider was a classic. We had requests from people to bring it up to date.

"We wanted to take all the seminal moments that everyone remembers from the first Tomb Raider and into an enhanced title, using technology from Crystal Dynamics, to make the game we always wanted to."

- Ian Livingstone (Eidos) talking about the original Tomb Raider remake for PS2, PSP and PC.

I can think of loads of movies that I'm glad have been remade, e.g Cape Fear with De Niro, because it gives a whole new generation who haven't bothered to watch the original version because it was in black and white and grainy a chance to experience some great storylines. On the flipside I can think of loads of movies that got remade pretty badly (Rollerball for example).

I can see remakes of old games being just as risky - on the one side it brings a whole new generation of gamers into contact with games that us old 'uns were reared on, on the other side if they're not up to par with current gen titles in terms of gameplay and graphics I can see the current generation of gamers wondering what all the fuss was about. So I can see why Square Enix are reluctant to bring FFVII up to date.

The one game of all time I'd like to see remade and brought up to date is Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (Strategic Simulations Inc., Megadrive). It was a 2D top down isometric turn-based move-about-on-a-grid strategy battle thing, but if they could revamp it into something that looks and plays as good as Enchanted Arms then I think that would work pretty well.

SSI got acquired by Mindscape in 1994, then spent a while as part of Mattel, then got bought by Ubisoft who retired SSI as a brand name in 2001. Maybe I should write to Ubisoft...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.