GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Gran Tursimo day out."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/11/01 at 13:16
Regular
It was finally morning, Friday 20th July. I must have woken up at around 06:15. I was so excited about the “Gran Turismo 3” launch day at HMV in Oxford Circus, (I believe that’s where it was). Yep...I’m sure it is. Anyway…that was the day of GT3. It was everywhere. Even ‘Kazunori Yamauchi’, the game’s developer was making an appearance, alongside two gorgeous ‘Page 3’ girls from the ‘Sun’ paper, in a nice Honda S2000, (black, with the “Gran Turismo 3 A-spec” logo written along the side of doors). I was an incredible day. You may be wondering what the whole hype was about. Well…it’s like this. You ready? The first 50 people to queue inline for the Gran Turismo 3 opening day will receive a special ticket. It may not have been like the ‘Golden Ticket’ that ‘Mr. Willy Wonker’ was handing out, but it was definitely something that people would love to get their hands on. Why? Because the first 50 to receive a ticket, will get the official GT3 Force Feedback steering wheel FREE! That’s right…FREE! Yes…you heard me correct. So anyway, when I got there that morning, my adrenaline was pumping, as if I was about to explode or something. Why? I don’t know. Besides, there was nothing I could have done to make the time stop, in order to get their any earlier, so I tried to relax myself. But there was nothing I could do to calm down. Time was going and I shouted “FASTER. FASTER!!!” Would you believe it…I got their when at least 70 people were in the queue, if not, more. I still queued up, since Kazunori-san would be making an appearance, not to mention the Page 3 lovelies. So I waited and waited. I even had my camera with me. And why not? Page 3 girls, a GT3 Honda S2000, and of course Kazunori Yamauchi. Even, ‘Taka Hirose’ was there, part of the group called ‘Feeder’. What’s more...if you play against Taka in Gran Turismo 3, and beat him…you could win yourself an album of Feeder, signed by Taka himself.

So anyway…coming back to the queuing up…yep, you guessed it…I hadn’t even gone in yet. But check this out! I saw Kazunori pull up in the Honda along with the Page 3 girls, so I began taking pictures. There were even magazine photographers taking photos. Flashes were flying around, like a ‘Dogfight’ of ‘F14’s’. Kazunori-san started the day off nicely. He waved the flag in front of the store and the race began…Gran Turismo 3 was finally launched. The first 50 people had already gone in, with the rest of us still waiting outside. I was very disappointed. However, to fill our happiness a little, trying to compensate for making us wait outside so long, the staff of HMV came out, giving us official T-shirts of GT3, as well as key rings. Not bad I guess…hey…it’s FREE.
In the end, the rest of us finally got in. It was like a stampede…my word…what a rush! I was pushed this way and that way, (all whilst going up the stares, making it even scarier). It must have taken a good 5 minutes to get upstairs. All I could see before my eyes, was ‘Gran Turismo 3’ this and ‘Gran Turismo 3’ that. Massive screens covered the walls of the game in action. It was GT3 heaven. This really felt like a dream come true. But I was also a little sad, well actually very sad. I saw people with their bundle packs of GT3 and the official wheel, (brought for only £40 with the use of their ticket). I came out the store heartbroken. I went back to the station, on my way to go home. Something like the ‘Jedi Force’ told me to look back. What did I see? Two more fans carrying home their GT3 pack. I felt even worse, but then it occurred to me…”DESTINY LIES WITHIN”. I went to speak to one of them, asking if they were the first inline to get their ticket. He answered, “Yes.” He then told me, “Here you go, take this extra ticket”. My face lit-up, wondering if this was real, or if I were dreaming. He told me that he had to make a complaint, so one the HMV staff offered him another ticket. I didn’t ask him why. I mean…someone offers you a ticket, saving you £70, take it, and don’t ask any questions, LOL. So I did and I was most grateful. Him and his friend went their way, and I went mine. But then I turned around and saw him smile to his friend. I felt as though I was tricked into going back and embarrassing myself at the store. I went running through the station, after the guy who gave me the ticket. I told him straight. “Look, I don’t mean this in a rude way, but it’s a long walk back to the store. Is this for real, or are you pulling my leg”? Obviously he said, “It’s no joke man…trust me. Go there and tell them that this is your ticket”. So I apologised, and thanked him again. I went back to the store, and to make the long story short (too late), I was entitled to the bundle pack. The bundle of GT3 was around £105 on its launch day. I got the whole bundle for only £40. Okay, to make it look cheaper…£39.99. I was so happy…I could cry. If only I took the e-mail address of the guy who gave me his ticket, to thank him again. It was like a miracle happening for me that day. So not only did I get the free gifts outside the store, for not arriving their on time, but I also got the bundle deal as well.

After browsing around the store for a while, I went down the escalator and found ‘Taka’ playing against fans on the PlayStation 2 pods. I got the chance to play against him. Unfortunately I didn’t win, but he was still kind enough to give me a signed album, because of the effort I put in.

Well…the day turned out just great. It may not have went as planned, but it was very exciting. I had a wonderful time, and what’s more…I only found out about this launch special the night before, at the Sony PlayStation 2 site. Incredible.

Well anyway, I hope you all enjoyed my story. It may have been long to read, but it had a happy ending.

Thank you,

Son Of Liberty
Fri 16/11/01 at 13:16
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
It was finally morning, Friday 20th July. I must have woken up at around 06:15. I was so excited about the “Gran Turismo 3” launch day at HMV in Oxford Circus, (I believe that’s where it was). Yep...I’m sure it is. Anyway…that was the day of GT3. It was everywhere. Even ‘Kazunori Yamauchi’, the game’s developer was making an appearance, alongside two gorgeous ‘Page 3’ girls from the ‘Sun’ paper, in a nice Honda S2000, (black, with the “Gran Turismo 3 A-spec” logo written along the side of doors). I was an incredible day. You may be wondering what the whole hype was about. Well…it’s like this. You ready? The first 50 people to queue inline for the Gran Turismo 3 opening day will receive a special ticket. It may not have been like the ‘Golden Ticket’ that ‘Mr. Willy Wonker’ was handing out, but it was definitely something that people would love to get their hands on. Why? Because the first 50 to receive a ticket, will get the official GT3 Force Feedback steering wheel FREE! That’s right…FREE! Yes…you heard me correct. So anyway, when I got there that morning, my adrenaline was pumping, as if I was about to explode or something. Why? I don’t know. Besides, there was nothing I could have done to make the time stop, in order to get their any earlier, so I tried to relax myself. But there was nothing I could do to calm down. Time was going and I shouted “FASTER. FASTER!!!” Would you believe it…I got their when at least 70 people were in the queue, if not, more. I still queued up, since Kazunori-san would be making an appearance, not to mention the Page 3 lovelies. So I waited and waited. I even had my camera with me. And why not? Page 3 girls, a GT3 Honda S2000, and of course Kazunori Yamauchi. Even, ‘Taka Hirose’ was there, part of the group called ‘Feeder’. What’s more...if you play against Taka in Gran Turismo 3, and beat him…you could win yourself an album of Feeder, signed by Taka himself.

So anyway…coming back to the queuing up…yep, you guessed it…I hadn’t even gone in yet. But check this out! I saw Kazunori pull up in the Honda along with the Page 3 girls, so I began taking pictures. There were even magazine photographers taking photos. Flashes were flying around, like a ‘Dogfight’ of ‘F14’s’. Kazunori-san started the day off nicely. He waved the flag in front of the store and the race began…Gran Turismo 3 was finally launched. The first 50 people had already gone in, with the rest of us still waiting outside. I was very disappointed. However, to fill our happiness a little, trying to compensate for making us wait outside so long, the staff of HMV came out, giving us official T-shirts of GT3, as well as key rings. Not bad I guess…hey…it’s FREE.
In the end, the rest of us finally got in. It was like a stampede…my word…what a rush! I was pushed this way and that way, (all whilst going up the stares, making it even scarier). It must have taken a good 5 minutes to get upstairs. All I could see before my eyes, was ‘Gran Turismo 3’ this and ‘Gran Turismo 3’ that. Massive screens covered the walls of the game in action. It was GT3 heaven. This really felt like a dream come true. But I was also a little sad, well actually very sad. I saw people with their bundle packs of GT3 and the official wheel, (brought for only £40 with the use of their ticket). I came out the store heartbroken. I went back to the station, on my way to go home. Something like the ‘Jedi Force’ told me to look back. What did I see? Two more fans carrying home their GT3 pack. I felt even worse, but then it occurred to me…”DESTINY LIES WITHIN”. I went to speak to one of them, asking if they were the first inline to get their ticket. He answered, “Yes.” He then told me, “Here you go, take this extra ticket”. My face lit-up, wondering if this was real, or if I were dreaming. He told me that he had to make a complaint, so one the HMV staff offered him another ticket. I didn’t ask him why. I mean…someone offers you a ticket, saving you £70, take it, and don’t ask any questions, LOL. So I did and I was most grateful. Him and his friend went their way, and I went mine. But then I turned around and saw him smile to his friend. I felt as though I was tricked into going back and embarrassing myself at the store. I went running through the station, after the guy who gave me the ticket. I told him straight. “Look, I don’t mean this in a rude way, but it’s a long walk back to the store. Is this for real, or are you pulling my leg”? Obviously he said, “It’s no joke man…trust me. Go there and tell them that this is your ticket”. So I apologised, and thanked him again. I went back to the store, and to make the long story short (too late), I was entitled to the bundle pack. The bundle of GT3 was around £105 on its launch day. I got the whole bundle for only £40. Okay, to make it look cheaper…£39.99. I was so happy…I could cry. If only I took the e-mail address of the guy who gave me his ticket, to thank him again. It was like a miracle happening for me that day. So not only did I get the free gifts outside the store, for not arriving their on time, but I also got the bundle deal as well.

After browsing around the store for a while, I went down the escalator and found ‘Taka’ playing against fans on the PlayStation 2 pods. I got the chance to play against him. Unfortunately I didn’t win, but he was still kind enough to give me a signed album, because of the effort I put in.

Well…the day turned out just great. It may not have went as planned, but it was very exciting. I had a wonderful time, and what’s more…I only found out about this launch special the night before, at the Sony PlayStation 2 site. Incredible.

Well anyway, I hope you all enjoyed my story. It may have been long to read, but it had a happy ending.

Thank you,

Son Of Liberty
Fri 16/11/01 at 13:24
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Heartwarming :)

Nice to see one of our Foggers have a good gaming experience. Makes a change from all the "Prices of games these days" whinges that you get from the likes of...

no, I'd better not say.
Fri 16/11/01 at 13:25
"I hate that!!!"
didn't wookie win something for basically the same thing?
Fri 16/11/01 at 13:29
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Heartwarming :)

Nice to see one of our Foggers have a good gaming experience.
> Makes a change from all the "Prices of games these days" whinges that
> you get from the likes of...

no, I'd better not say.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed my day out stroy FantasyMeister. My whole family new just how much I waited for GT3 on PS2. They all gave me a hug and congrtulated me.
Fri 16/11/01 at 13:32
"High polygon count"
Doughnut Monster wrote:
> didn't wookie win something for basically the same thing?

There are similarities, but it's not the same.

Mine was a story about a GTA3 mission, told as if it were real life.

This actually *is* a story about real life.
Fri 16/11/01 at 13:39
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Doughnut Monster wrote:
> didn't wookie win something for basically the same
> thing?

There are similarities, but it's not the same.

Mine was a story
> about a GTA3 mission, told as if it were real life.

This actually *is* a
> story about real life.

Thanks WòókieeMøn§†€®. I am very happy to see that you are not upset because of the similarities. I meant no harm by making this topic. It's 100% true and I hadn't even read yours until now, which is very good by the way.

p.s. Congratulations on your GAD win - nice little story, that one.
Fri 16/11/01 at 13:44
"I hate that!!!"
fair enough.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.