GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SquareSoft - Konami - Namco....Rockstar?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/11/01 at 04:23
Regular
Rockstar is the high end-games publishing division of Take Two Interactive Software. Now everyone has their favourite games publishers, the ones I look out for a Square, Konami, Namco and SierraOnline as they've always produced great games in the past.

Now I'm on the lookout for Rockstar games, because so far they haven't produced a dud. Their titles so far include:

Grand Theft Auto series
Smuggler's Run series
State of Emergency
Oni
Midnight Club: Street Racing
Wild Metal

and

the forthcoming Max Payne and State of Emergency.

The thing that grabs me about their games is their "Here's a gun, here's a city with lots of people and things in it, go ahead, just be yourself!" attitude to gameplay. There's no real linearity (kill this, go there, kill that, go somewhere else to progress) in their games, just total freedom of action and movement. In a lot of cases the actual storyline becomes secondary (particularly in GTA3) because you are having so much fun exploring.

Then of course is the adult humour that runs through much of the games that they produce, that hint of tongue in cheek violence that we can take or leave at whim. It shouldn't be a contentious issue as these types of games are aimed at the 18+ market (in the UK at least), and being over 18 we are, of course, fully aware that our ingame actions will have no impact on our real life actions.

With a catalogue of titles like this below their belt their future in my collection is pretty much secured.

They've got a great website listing all their games (with trailers and screens) and further information about the company for those that wish to know more.

http://www.rockstargames.com
Fri 16/11/01 at 23:12
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
> Oni
> Midnight Club: Street Racing

Oni was an oooooooook game I guess.

Is that Midnight Club racing game your talking about, that game which was a launch title for the PS2? It's surpose to be absolutely C***! My brother bought it with his PS2 when it came back and he thought it was really NAFF! I told him to take it back and he got a refund! Also most people took that game back as it was complete pish! I hope that's the game you were refering to! If not i'm sorry!

:)
Fri 16/11/01 at 22:45
Regular
The clip I saw of State of Emergency ages ago is probably out dated, but it looked awful.

It was tasteless, poor graphics, the Gameplay looked sluggish, there didn't seem to be real challenge other than blowing up swarms of panicking innocent people.

Seeing some fat guy tamping on some burning civillian made up my mind.

Everyone likes to go on the odd killing spree here and there, and although games like GTA, Goldeneye, let you kill innocents if you wanted or felt like it, you normally got punished for it in one way or another.
Promoting it as the main game objective is pretty sick.

Ofcourse, the game might've come along way and evolved into a good game since the clip was made but overwise it's just some immature romp trying to be cool with explicit tasteless violence.
Fri 16/11/01 at 22:37
Regular
Visiting their website now...
Fri 16/11/01 at 10:31
Regular
Good to see you like Konami...
Fri 16/11/01 at 10:07
Regular
"not dead"
FantasyMeister wrote:

The thing that grabs me about their games is their "Here's a
> gun, here's a city with lots of people and things in it, go ahead, just be
> yourself!" attitude to gameplay. There's no real linearity (kill this, go
> there, kill that, go somewhere else to progress) in their games, just total
> freedom of action and movement. In a lot of cases the actual storyline becomes
> secondary (particularly in GTA3) because you are having so much fun
> exploring.

Yep, good things about some new games = more freedom.

Damn dirty linearity.

If that's what Rockstar are doing they deserve credit.
Fri 16/11/01 at 04:23
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Rockstar is the high end-games publishing division of Take Two Interactive Software. Now everyone has their favourite games publishers, the ones I look out for a Square, Konami, Namco and SierraOnline as they've always produced great games in the past.

Now I'm on the lookout for Rockstar games, because so far they haven't produced a dud. Their titles so far include:

Grand Theft Auto series
Smuggler's Run series
State of Emergency
Oni
Midnight Club: Street Racing
Wild Metal

and

the forthcoming Max Payne and State of Emergency.

The thing that grabs me about their games is their "Here's a gun, here's a city with lots of people and things in it, go ahead, just be yourself!" attitude to gameplay. There's no real linearity (kill this, go there, kill that, go somewhere else to progress) in their games, just total freedom of action and movement. In a lot of cases the actual storyline becomes secondary (particularly in GTA3) because you are having so much fun exploring.

Then of course is the adult humour that runs through much of the games that they produce, that hint of tongue in cheek violence that we can take or leave at whim. It shouldn't be a contentious issue as these types of games are aimed at the 18+ market (in the UK at least), and being over 18 we are, of course, fully aware that our ingame actions will have no impact on our real life actions.

With a catalogue of titles like this below their belt their future in my collection is pretty much secured.

They've got a great website listing all their games (with trailers and screens) and further information about the company for those that wish to know more.

http://www.rockstargames.com

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.