GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A look down Mario lane..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/01 at 21:40
Regular
Mario has kept us going through all Nintendo consoles, so lets all take a look down memory (Or Mario) lane.

Nintendo Entertainment System

MARIO BROTHERS. Mario Brothers was one of the most addictive games to ever come out. This was a huge game covered in cheats, the most memorable was on the second world. You had to jump out of the screen and run over the end of the level to three pipes leading to other worlds, classic cheat still remembered to this very day. Completing this could take months to even years.

MARIO BROS. 2 Mario Bros 2 was so fun! Not only were the worlds massive and full of bosses and other rock hard enemies you could choose your character, each having unique special skills such as Peach’s floating jump technique and Mario’s speed when picking up items and plants. Recently remade for the Gameboy Advance it shows that old games don’t necessarily mean bad games, long live classics!

MARIO BROS. 3 Mario Bros 3 was the first Mario game that you could do others things than just playing levels. Each world has a huge range of mini-games where you have to destroy enemies or just guess the right treasure chest to win items such as a flying cap, mushroom or any of the many more power-ups in this huge Mario classic. This could take months to complete, even when you get to the last level it could take months to finish, this is NES gaming at it’s very best.

Mario games were definitely the top class of the NES, a NES was not complete without one, or all, of these genius creations from Nintendo.

Gameboy Mono/Pocket

SUPER MARIO LAND. The first Mario Land went along the lines of the first Mario Bros game, brilliant bosses and tricky levels really made this game yet another Mario classic. Many people who have Gameboys are still playing this mini platformer to this day. A brilliant part of this game is the water world when you get to drive a submarine as little Mario while blasting enemies with torpedoes, my personal favourite part of this game.

MARIO LAND 2: 6 GOLDEN COINS. Like Mario Land 1 6Golden Coins went along the lines of another Mario NES hit. But this time Mario Bros 3 was game. As Mario you had to go through worlds on a birds eye view going through tough levels and after beating all the levels on a world you get to face a fierce boss. This was also Wario’s debut.

MARIO GOLF. This is the only golf game I’ve ever enjoyed for a Gameboy. It’s easy to play and fun, only thing is, there’s only two courses on this Gameboy hit.

Like the NES you had to have a Mario Land on your Gameboy, it was the only way.

SUPER Nintendo Entertainment System

SUPER MARIO ALL STARS. Mario All Stars was probably the most memorable game out of all the consoles. This game included all the Mario Bros from the NES series (Including Mario Bros: The Lost Levels which was not released in Britain) but with enhanced graphics. Not only that but a brand new Mario game came out with Mario All Stars. This was called Super Mario World, which included Yoshi who stared in Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, which wasn’t really a Mario game.

SUPER MARIO KART. Yes, this is where it all started. The ‘Cartooned Racer Revolution’ started here. The likes of Crash Team Racing and Konami Krazy Racers all came from this Mario racer. This brilliant racer really made you think about which character to choose. If it’s a long race you’d need to choose a racer with a high top speed, if it’s a short track you’d need a racer with high acceleration. It’s the best racer you could wish for.

MARIO PAINT. Possibly the strangest Mario title of all, I don’t have to say much about this game, it tells you all in the title.

MARIO RPG. This game wasn’t released in England but if you were lucky enough to have a converter pack (Not entirely sure of the name) that lets you play games from other countries, you’d know how great this title was. First ever Mario RPG game, best game for the SNES god bless you if you didn’t get to play this huge hit.

I don’t think I know anyone who didn’t have Mario All Stars for the SNES, that just shows a lot in itself.

Nintendo 64

SUPER MARIO 64. Mario 64 is a release game from heaven, this is probably the longest running game for the N64. People were amazed by the graphics when this first came out, it was the biggest Mario game of them all. Getting 120 stars ( *’s) was a real challenge. As if beating Bowser three times and getting all the Stars in the castle and on the levels to complete the monster of a game you have to get 100 coins on each level, people may think this is easy but try doing this levels like the ones on Mario, it’ll blow you away how hard it actually is. But when you actually complete it you’ll be so pleased and surprised to meet your old mate Yoshi, 100 lives and a flying cap.

MARIO KART 64. Mario Kart 64 is the second coming of the classic Mario racer. This is the best N64 racer by far, it may not have the realism of racers like Gran Turismo, but Mario games aren’t really meant to be realistic, more cartooned and comic. The battle modes are brilliant and the Cups will keep you coming back for more, even when you’ve completed all the cups on all CC you’ll still go back and try to complete them on mirror mode, which is won when you have completed all cups on all CC.

MARIO PARTY. Mario Party was probably a board game debut on the N64, and what a debut it was, the one player wasn’t great but the multiplayer was pure gold and diamond mixed together in a pot.

MARIO GOLF. Mario Golf was a remake of the Gameboy Mono/Pocket and a great golfing game, there was so many characters for a golfing game. All the stars were in there. Yet another Mario classic, when will it stop?

MARIO TENNIS. Mario Tennis was the debut of yet another evil brother of Mario’s and his name was Waluigi, What an original name. This is quit an unusual game but still really good (Can’t think of a descriptive word). This game was quite a challenge, it had brilliant gameplay and winning different courts was oh, so fun.

MARIO PARTY 2. The second coming of the board game hit. This one is MUCH better than Mario Party, the multiplayer, though it’s hard to believe, is better than the first. The one player is also quite fun, it’s basically like the first but better.

PAPER MARIO. This is a gaming gem. Paper Mario is proof that no matter how new generation consoles get, a good 2D can still beat 3D games. This RPG is very unique. Collecting the Seven Spirit Stars could never be so fun, in fact I’m still playing this game, it aint easy ya know!

MARIO PARTY 3. The final N64 game and it’s better than both Mario Party and Mario Party 2. I can’t say much about this though, I’ve only played it once.

From the N64 release game to the last N64 game Mario has been there to guide us through the secrets of Nintendo 64, lets hope Gamecube takes on this legacy.

Gameboy Advance

SUPER MARIO ADVANCE. Super Mario Advance is another ‘couple of old titles’ game. This included hits Mario Bros and Mario Bros 2 with graphic enhancements of course. It’s fun if your not sick of old titles.

MARIO KART ADVANCE: SUPER CIRCUIT. Mario Kart Advance is the best game for the GBA by far. Brilliant tracks and characters makes this the most enjoyable GBA game, it’s got over 40 tracks to keep you playing and the usual Mario gang to join in the fun, you just can’t get enough of that Mario Kart.

Mario has really struck the GBA big time, so far Mario has claimed the prize for the best GBA title, lets hope he keeps on doing this on all consoles.

Thanks for reading RiCkOsS
Fri 16/07/10 at 23:16
Regular
Meet at the Hare n Hounds at 9.00 A.M. route to be decided
Sun 18/08/02 at 16:36
Regular
Ok! Good!
Sun 18/08/02 at 11:32
Regular
Me, for some unknown reason :-)

Yay!
Sat 17/08/02 at 13:11
Regular
Oh yeah! Just checked the date! Wow.. so who popped this back up?
Sat 17/08/02 at 10:59
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Wow - you've only got to mention Mario now and you get a GAD..
>
> It was a well deserved win though, well done.

Heh, don't congratulate me. This was from almost a year ago! :-D
Sat 17/08/02 at 02:41
Regular
Either September 27th or October 4th.
Sat 17/08/02 at 02:02
Regular
"One Of A Kind"
Blazing Anton wrote:
> Hey, ive got a mario based question so i thought id ask in here.
>
> when is mario sunshine out? ive seen on most websites that its
> 04/10/02 but on here (sr) it says sometime in january 2003.
>
> which one is right?
>
> cause i so much want this game.

Ignore this just seen other topic in here with same type of question

Sorry!!!!
Sat 17/08/02 at 01:58
Regular
"One Of A Kind"
Hey, ive got a mario based question so i thought id ask in here.

when is mario sunshine out? ive seen on most websites that its 04/10/02 but on here (sr) it says sometime in january 2003.

which one is right?

cause i so much want this game.
Sat 17/08/02 at 01:52
Regular
Wow - you've only got to mention Mario now and you get a GAD..

It was a well deserved win though, well done.
Fri 16/08/02 at 18:27
Regular
Hehe, my first and only forum GAD :-)

Seems as though everyone wins for mario post. First shocky, then me, then Sibs. Nice :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.