GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ahhhh Jim Lad, PIRACY"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/08/00 at 21:17
Regular
Many people are baffled about the whole concept of piracy. I am sure you will agree with me that there is nothing more satisfying than purchasing a brand new game and going on to complete it. However, speaking from experience, if your game is copied then you do not get the same appreciation of the ending of the game. Instead of feeling proud, you feel, in a way, that you have cheated to reach the final stage. Of course it is tempting being offered games like Smack down and Metal gear solid for just £4. In my opinion, you should resist temptation because the games often lack quality shown by authentic games. If this unpleasant trend continues, computer game producers who already lose millions may stop producing quality games. The worst scenario is a complete stop to all games which would there for mean the end of fun in life. So we should all join together and stop giving into these criminals. Already many producers are dropping their prices to demand - so lets show our gratitude, and buy genuine games from Captain Hook.
Thu 17/08/00 at 21:17
Many people are baffled about the whole concept of piracy. I am sure you will agree with me that there is nothing more satisfying than purchasing a brand new game and going on to complete it. However, speaking from experience, if your game is copied then you do not get the same appreciation of the ending of the game. Instead of feeling proud, you feel, in a way, that you have cheated to reach the final stage. Of course it is tempting being offered games like Smack down and Metal gear solid for just £4. In my opinion, you should resist temptation because the games often lack quality shown by authentic games. If this unpleasant trend continues, computer game producers who already lose millions may stop producing quality games. The worst scenario is a complete stop to all games which would there for mean the end of fun in life. So we should all join together and stop giving into these criminals. Already many producers are dropping their prices to demand - so lets show our gratitude, and buy genuine games from Captain Hook.
Thu 17/08/00 at 22:40
You are quite right, games piracy is a bad thing and can only serve to lower the qaulity of the gaming industry! I'm not so sure about the End of all fun but it would be a major blow to entertainment (though it's unlikely, games piracy is getting rarer on the PC due to many games including CD codes and miscellaneous reasons... not that it was ever too huge a problem on the PC.)
Thu 17/08/00 at 22:42
oh and don't you mean "Arrr Jim Lad"? (heh, joke, no offense)
Thu 17/08/00 at 23:10
To all those who agree: Do you ever use emulators and roms downloaded from the internet? If so you are computer pirates as no games made by Nintendo and Sega are ment to be copied in any way unless a license agreement is filled in by the emulator owner!

I've been offered pirate games for Fony Greystation in my school and I don't even own a Fony Greystation!
Thu 17/08/00 at 23:22
Ahh, the good old days of Commodore 64, i think Emulators that revive such things are fine, when bought from a shop mind. Who can ever forget Jet Set Willy! (well you never knew him, and i was only 8 i think!)
Fri 18/08/00 at 22:09
Emulators bought from shops and made by the companies are good, but I'm talking about those illegal downloads!
Sat 19/08/00 at 12:46
Yes you're right, illegal download ones are bad. I did just have to mention that not all emulators are bad though!
Sun 20/08/00 at 22:44
Piracy......Ummmmmm..so you've never copied onto a tape any music, say from the radio or copied a mates Cd cuz you don't wanna buy it then? Depends how you look at piracy, now I don't condone the organised crime type of piracy, where huge amounts of money are being made from the sale of doggie games Cds, to fund the production of a drugs racket.But on the other hand, if someone who owns a Cd writer and wants to make a few notes selling the odd copied game to a mate, whats wrong with that?After all, we've all made copies of something in our life time, mainly music, but you don't see the music industry going belly up from that, and that industries piracy wave is bigger than most!!!!Anyway, if piracy was really what companies like Sony wanted to stop, why the hell did they make Cd writers and tape recorders for.We're all guilty, we've all done, it's just that some of us ain't hypocrites (Greek derived word,means people acting like someone else)So hoist the Jolly Roger, and save a few quid!!!ARTY
Sun 20/08/00 at 23:02
I haven't pirated anything ever! I think that you may be right though and i'm not saying i never would... but it is a crime and shouldn't be done!
Mon 21/08/00 at 14:23
Regular
"not dead"
Isn't one of the reasons that Nintendo stuck with carts for so long is because they were harder to copy? Also I use emulators, they're not illegal if you own the games that you emulate. I find it handy being able to use the save feature of the emulator that the original game did not have. (I don't have time to start from the start every go!). Also it beats replacing all of the joypads that no longer work, frayed cables etc..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.