GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Assassin's Creed II"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Assassin's Creed 2'.
Wed 14/07/10 at 19:53
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Assassin’s Creed II Review

This game review is based upon the Playstation 3 version of the game

Welcome to the Animus

The Assassin’s Creed series, created by Ubisoft, follows protagonist Desmond Miles as he plunges into the memories of his ancestors, learning of the historical battle between the assassins and the Templars. In the original Assassin’s Creed, Desmond takes the role of Altaïr through the Animus, as he attempts to help the company of Abstergo, who have kidnapped him, to find a missing artifact.

Although Assassin’s Creed was highly hyped and anticipated before release, the game failed to deliver on its many promises. Many found it to be repetitive & lethargic and without variety. Despite ambition, historical accuracy and beautiful scenery, Assassin’s Creed failed to have the substance in the gameplay to be as enjoyable as it could be.

Memory Sequence Activated

Armed with the feelings and thoughts of the public and reviewers, Ubisoft developed Assassin’s Creed II, aiming to not only deliver on the failed promise of the previous game, but to include more within the game than they ever claimed with the original. Another ambitious claim by Ubisoft, but following a failure to live up to the hype on the last iteration, can they be trusted?

Assassin’s Creed II follows Desmond as he steps into the shoes of his ancestor, Ezio Auditore Da Firenze, in an attempt to learn skills that he possessed for the modern-day fight with the Templars. Whilst doing this, more of the battle between the assassins and the Templars will become evident.

One comparison that is immediately evident when playing the game is that the time spent outside of the Animus, in the “real world”, is much less than that of the original game. This helps the game to flow better, as the gameplay is much less broken up.

Synchronization Complete

The mission structure is heavily improved compared to that of its predecessor. Gone is the rather mechanical scouting for clues by doing a selection of a limited variety of sidequests followed by an assassination system. This has been replaced by a much better, albeit slightly more linear, main storyline mission which allows for a larger range of mission types to be used to progress the game.

The game also provides a fair few side missions, ranging from assassination contracts to races to letter delivery. Each side mission comes with its own small dangers and requirements, which keep them somewhat slightly fresh. Little tweaks to the system like this help to form a much better game

Tomb Raider

Another optional part of the game is the exploration of assassin tombs. There are 6 assassin tombs over the course of the game, each designed to test your platforming skills through timed puzzles. These can be quite challenging, and for most people will be the most difficult part of the game that they attempt (if, of course, they bother to attempt them).

By completing all the puzzles, you will eventually make it to the tomb, where the individual assassin’s seal lies. Collecting all of these seals will result in you being rewarding with Altaïr’s armour, the most effective armour available in the game. Whilst doing the assassin tomb puzzles, the power and intricacies of the free-running engine can be fully appreciated.

Bleeding Effect

The gameplay is generally very similar to that of the original. The four face buttons control parts of the body, and the actions which can be performed depends on whether you are in a low profile or high profile state. Low profile actions tend to be used when attempting to remain unnoticed by guards, whereas high profile actions tend to be used when attempting to escape from guards, or when stealth is not of high priority.

Generally, the game can be split into two different parts; free running and movement, and fighting. The free-running part of the game involves climbing buildings and running across them. This part of the game works quite well, although scaling the sides of some buildings can be a bit irritating when the engine decides to be very picky in how or where it wants you to go.

The game also adds a few new options with how to stealthfully (or not so stealthfully) escape or eliminate threats. Alongside the original weapons from the first game, Assassin's Creed II also introduces smoke bombs, poisons, and the ability to cause crowd distractions (through money or factions), which means that some missions can be completed in a slightly more quiet and skillful manor.

Fighting has been tweaked slightly since Assassin’s Creed; however the general gist remains the same. Countering appears to have been weakened somewhat, which means that using the rest of available fighting techniques is generally a good idea. This, combined with the new array of weapons, and a slightly increased variety of enemies, means that this makes fighting slightly more interesting.

Florin the Money

Speaking of the new weapons, an addition to Assassin’s Creed II is the money system. For every mission completed, you earn money (which can also be earned through pick pocketing, looting, messenger intercepting and villa income). This money can be spent on several things, such as new weapons and armour, repairs, medicine, hiring factions and development of the home city. This adds a little bit of extra replayability to the game, especially to those completionists that are out there.

Eagle Vision

Graphically, the game is not much improved from that of the original Assassin’s Creed. That is to say that the surrounding environment is beautifully breathtaking, which can be especially noticed from one of the many high synchronisation points. Each of the cities that are available in the game are very lovingly and quite accurately recreated, and they look amazing. However, the character models of non-player characters do look like the sort of quality that would be expected of the previous generation of consoles still, but this doesn’t detract from the experience too much, unless, of course, that you are the kind of person who is really bothered by that sort of thing.

Stop! Assassin!

However, not everything is positive in this game; there are a few things that are annoying, although, in honesty, they are generally minor gripes. Firstly, I’ll address the notoriety meter. The notoriety meter isn’t awful, it generally works quite well, but in some situations it increases where I believe that it shouldn’t. For example, a high profile assassination in view of absolutely no-one should not increase notoriety, and neither should hanging assassinations from the edge of boats. Also, the fact that Ezio appears to be the only person in the game world that is able to swim seems a little unrealistic.

Any Last Words?

To conclude, Assassin’s Creed II is a beautiful game that far surpasses its predecessor in pretty much every aspect. ACII is a game that ought to be viewed as a game, rather than an “experience” which many dubbed the original to be. It plays very well and gives the player quite a lot to do within the game world, whilst not being overly dominating with when you need to do it. The many new additions fit into the game rather nicely, and very little detracts from the actual gaming experience. If you haven’t gotten it already, you could do a lot worse than choosing Assassin’s Creed II as your next gaming purchase.

Overall: 9.3/10
Tue 20/07/10 at 09:59
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
AC: Brotherhood is not ACIII, it's a sequel to ACII and is giving people the multi-player addon they have wanted for a little while.

ACIII will be a couple of years yet.
Mon 19/07/10 at 19:40
"possibly impossible"
It's been previewed at E3, could be early next year.
Mon 19/07/10 at 18:53
Regular
"How Ironic"
I've heard a completely different team are making Assassin's Creed 3 and that it will be released soon. I highly doubt it.

Show Spoiler
Mon 19/07/10 at 10:17
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
By the sounds of things, Assassin's Creed III will be coming, but not for a while, maybe another couple of years or so, and that will be the next ancestor in the story.

I'm looking forward to the next game, but I probably won't be getting it until a good couple of months after release.

Show Spoiler
Mon 19/07/10 at 09:17
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
That wouldn't surprise me Chris, but I doubt it. The whole plot is about Templars vs Thieves so they wouldn't need to add in that little bit.

The ending of this game freaked me out a little with the woman looking directly at camera, there was no need for it in my opinion...

Looking forward to the third game, was hoping we would get somebody other than Ezio to play, but with the new features in mind, it kind of makes sense.
Sun 18/07/10 at 11:59
Regular
"How Ironic"
Well the ending of the first AC was one of the worst game endings I've ever seen, it was just out of the blue.
Show Spoiler
Fri 16/07/10 at 19:57
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
The singers don't sing in harmony when there's two of them, I imagine 10 would be close to unbearable. Finally got to the end credits last night. Not much to add to the review from the final scenes, albeit I have to admit the storyline is getting more and more convoluted.
Fri 16/07/10 at 08:30
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I loved it! And the review!

Those singers did annoy me as well, but at the same time I used to make a game of collecting as many as I could. Think it reached about 10 at one point. Needless to say they didn't sing in harmony!
Thu 15/07/10 at 22:25
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Thanks Chris.

Those people are either messengers or thieves, depending on whether they appear as red (thieves), or not at all, on the map. Thieves have stolen your money, Messengers are holding...templar...money...I guess.

The lepars are basically back as singers, which can be even more annoying since you can get mugged by about 7 of them, but at least they run away if you bump into them.

But, again, I think it's very much a game that divides opinion, and that sort of stigma probably won't leave the series.
Thu 15/07/10 at 20:25
Regular
"How Ironic"
Nice review Flyer :) Still too much like the first AC formula for me. It's better, but still too many similar things, such as the men who keep appearing that you have to chase down, almost as annoying as them crazy guys who hit you for no reason in the first game. And the guards are still stupid :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.