GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Two Months on..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/01 at 18:39
Regular
Roughly, about two months ago we hung are heads in sorrow and showed are love towards the victims of the terrible attacks that took place in the city of New York. These two pasting months since the attack, has given us even more violence with war breaking out between USA and the party of Osama Bin Laden (Afghanistan). I put Afghanistan, as they are involved in the war just as Osama Bin Laden is, as they are the victims that are caught up in the middle of all this mayhem.
After the thousands of deaths witnessed in New York, Afghanistan and seeing the excellent film, Pearl Harbour, showing what it was just like at the gigantic dock during the attacks from Japan, computer games just don’t appeal to me at this moment of time.

Using games as an example such as GTA3, Soldier of Fortune and Red Faction all show the deaths of innocent people getting killed. Grand Theft Auto 3: the aim of the game (apart from the missions) is to kill people to get points and money.
Solider of Fortune puts you in a war scenario were you are to kill people to accomplish the game.
And finally, Red Faction witnesses deaths of innocent slave miners as they work flat-out for a small amount of money

You may say to me that I am acting silly. You may say these are just merely games made for nothing else but fun, and that the people that are murdered are just a few pixels bundled together to look like humans. But, this to me feels disrespectful to the people that have witnessed such horror over these past few months, dead or alive. These people are the victims or family members of those that have passed away, who have actually witnessed the real thing, not just played it on a computer screen.

Many games have been postponed or banned, well not banned but taken out of production due to scenes of terrorism in the game or other reasons similar to this. A Plane Simulator by Microsoft gave you the opportunity to fly over real-life scenarios including New York. The game was taken out of production as it had been rumoured that the terrorists had used the simulator for training.

I am not a strong believer in religion, and I may only be 13 but its my principle and honour that I stand by.
I will soon out-grow this no-killing-innocent-people-on-computer games phase but for now I stand strongly for what I believe in.

I thank-you for your time…
Thu 15/11/01 at 18:39
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Roughly, about two months ago we hung are heads in sorrow and showed are love towards the victims of the terrible attacks that took place in the city of New York. These two pasting months since the attack, has given us even more violence with war breaking out between USA and the party of Osama Bin Laden (Afghanistan). I put Afghanistan, as they are involved in the war just as Osama Bin Laden is, as they are the victims that are caught up in the middle of all this mayhem.
After the thousands of deaths witnessed in New York, Afghanistan and seeing the excellent film, Pearl Harbour, showing what it was just like at the gigantic dock during the attacks from Japan, computer games just don’t appeal to me at this moment of time.

Using games as an example such as GTA3, Soldier of Fortune and Red Faction all show the deaths of innocent people getting killed. Grand Theft Auto 3: the aim of the game (apart from the missions) is to kill people to get points and money.
Solider of Fortune puts you in a war scenario were you are to kill people to accomplish the game.
And finally, Red Faction witnesses deaths of innocent slave miners as they work flat-out for a small amount of money

You may say to me that I am acting silly. You may say these are just merely games made for nothing else but fun, and that the people that are murdered are just a few pixels bundled together to look like humans. But, this to me feels disrespectful to the people that have witnessed such horror over these past few months, dead or alive. These people are the victims or family members of those that have passed away, who have actually witnessed the real thing, not just played it on a computer screen.

Many games have been postponed or banned, well not banned but taken out of production due to scenes of terrorism in the game or other reasons similar to this. A Plane Simulator by Microsoft gave you the opportunity to fly over real-life scenarios including New York. The game was taken out of production as it had been rumoured that the terrorists had used the simulator for training.

I am not a strong believer in religion, and I may only be 13 but its my principle and honour that I stand by.
I will soon out-grow this no-killing-innocent-people-on-computer games phase but for now I stand strongly for what I believe in.

I thank-you for your time…
Thu 15/11/01 at 18:45
I see where you are coming from JaCeeUK.. You do make good points.
Thu 15/11/01 at 18:47
Regular
"Hoo Har"
I try... but never usually suceed :)
Thu 15/11/01 at 20:21
Regular
"Hoo Har"
If you know what I mean....
Thu 15/11/01 at 21:04
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Yeah, it's a touchy subject but I'd have to agree with you. Playing games like GTA3 doesn't seem right after tragedies like that. But, I'd argue that games are an escape from reality. But not very well, because I'm tired and killing time 'til I can go home. Natch.
Thu 15/11/01 at 21:05
You seem to be staying late.
Thu 15/11/01 at 21:10
Regular
"..."
Sodding Idiot wrote:
> You seem to be staying late.

yeah, were not allowed to leave, ever...
Thu 15/11/01 at 21:15
Regular
"Hoo Har"
lol
Thu 15/11/01 at 21:48
Regular
"You've upset me"
SPIDER!!!!!!!!!

JASON!!!!

HURRAY!!!!
Thu 15/11/01 at 21:51
Regular
"Hoo Har"
RBS, you keep saying... Are you trying to say something :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.