GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are Sony Ripping us off? or not?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/08/00 at 18:30
Regular
Could sony be ripping us off, i mean if you think about it the PS2 will only have 2 controller ports so to enjoy 4-player games we will have to buy a multitap, also they will shortly be releasing the PS2 Hard Drive. Final Fantasy 11 will be mostly an online game apparently so we will have to pay for the phone time we spend online. But the PS2 will also have a lot of amazing features such as the DVD player and the backwards compatible games so it will also be quite useful, so is it Scammy Sony or is it So damn good Sony?
Wed 23/08/00 at 21:51
RPG games are the best in the worl Arty,have you ever sat down for an hour or two and played ff8,no i doubt it otherwise you wouldn't say playing Rpg's is an affliction, it is a pleasure to play rpgs as any slightly intelligent people would tell you!
Wed 23/08/00 at 11:30
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
We ARE getting ripped off! Okay, let's see shall we? We've got £300 for the console, £100 for a couple of games, £60 for a memory card and extra control pad and £20 for a DVD movie. Giving us a grand total of *drum roll* £480 *Kkkssshhhtttt*

Now, let's see how much the aforementioned Sony goodies would cost our American cousins. *tapping away on calculator* As I suspected, our American cousins will pay the grand total of *drum roll again* £311 *Kkkssshhhtttt*.

That pretty much settles that argument doesn't it?

B/leeders
Kill Piracy!
Tue 22/08/00 at 18:32
No, Sony are not ripping us off at all. The Nintendo 64 was £500 at release, and there was only one good launch title. The PlayStation 2 will be £300, but for that you get a machine that not only plays games but also DVD movies, which is worth £300 alone. The package also includes a memory card and a demo disc (two things not included with the N64).
With the PSone also arriving around the same time as the PS2, Sony are being very generous by allowing backwards compatibility (possibly to Sony's financial disadvantage).
Sony's competitors are the people ripping us off. Sega are releasing an extra DVD drive (which will probably cost the same as the console), while Nintendo's Dolphin will probably cost the same or more than the PS2, but won't play DVD movies.
£300 is a lot of money in anyone's books, but compared the competition Sony are giving the best deal by far. Anyway, it won't be long before the PS2 will be £200, or even £100. Once all the consoles are released, people will realise that Sony are top of the pile once again.
Tue 22/08/00 at 12:40
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Hey Tigerblade!

Is Romeo Must Die any good? I'm a big Jet Li fan and was just wondering what the flick was like?

I can't believe it's still yet to come out in the cinema here. But it's on DVD in the US. That's it, I'm hacking my Samsung 709 :o)

When I end up purchasing a PS2, it WON'T be a PAL model. No sirreee! US NTSC all the way! :)

B/leeders
Kill Piracy!
Mon 21/08/00 at 22:15
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA.
Different plug????????????
HA!
The only difference in plugs is that we require one more small stick of metal.
Sony like ripping people off, cus they know that you all will be happy to get ripped off, thats why.....
And its true, you are.
I think Ill wait for the price to go down and in the meantime Ill play all my Playstation games on the Dreamcast, at twice the resolution and then watch Romeo must die on my portable DVD player while you wait for the release of the PS2, enjoy your console.
I really do hope its up to your expectations, but if its not then Im sorry that I couldnt get through to you, I hope it is though.
I have just got a refund for my import one that went mental....
I might get a UK one with the money....
Dunno yet
Mon 21/08/00 at 20:14
I think that we are getting ripped off because Sony say that it is costing more in England because of the exchange rate and the different plug that the Americans have. Sony say that we pay more because of the different plug, but why cant the Americans pay more because they have a different plug.

Im still gonna go out and buy one though.
Fri 18/08/00 at 18:13
Regular
"I like cheese"
I'll wait for the price to go down because I don't have the money to pay £300. I didn't have for the PSX, and I won't have for the PS2.
Fri 18/08/00 at 16:29
If Sony cant keep up with the demand, do you think they will lower the price??????

I dont think so.

Sony loves ripping people off, they do it all the time....

Ant, if you dont think Sony are ripping you off, how come you might wait untill the price goes down????

WAKE UP PEOPLE, SONY ARE RIPPING YA ALL OFF
Thu 17/08/00 at 21:57
Also, if you really had that strange affliction of playing RPG's and you already had a multi-tap, then you could use that.And for once in my life I'm going to pay through to teeth and buy a PS2, something no other console has given me the urge to do, um...... strange that....maybe it's because it looks and sounds so F-in great!!!!!!I can't wait, and what a fair way Sony have come up with of distributeing them, pre-order means no queing at some god for saken shop for hours, only to discover they've all sold out.Just imagine if you had to travel 20 miles to for that pleasure as well, what a bummer that'd be !!!!And as for the delay, we'll thats down to the fact that so many have been pre-ordered, Sony can't keep up with the demand.AIN'T IT GREAT!!!!!!!!Har Har Har.ARTY.How yah doin Ant, alright mate?
Thu 17/08/00 at 19:57
Regular
"I like cheese"
No, I don't think they are ripping us off. Apart from the fact that the Americans get it cheaper than us. But I'm not that into FF games, so I don't care about the new FF game, as long as Metal Gear Solid 2 is coming out, I don't really care. In a year the PS2 is meant to go down to £100, so I might wait 'til then. And multi-taps don't cost that much, and not that many games have 4 players anyway.
Thanks for reading, Ant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.