GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2 3rd parties merge without even realising it!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/05/03 at 23:22
Regular
From http://www.gamesindustrynews.com/

Ubi Soft may be riding high in the videogames chart at the moment with Splinter Cell, the highly-acclaimed game of stealth and infiltration. But it seems that the company is blissfully unaware of some stealthy software piracy activities that have been going on right under its own nose.

Ubi Soft has teamed up with peripheral firms Fire, Mad Catz and Thrustmaster to produce Splinter Cell-branded products including an "official" cheat code disc for the PlayStation2 version of its best-selling game. What the games publisher doesn't appear to know is that this 'Official' cheat disc is actually made by the very same factories that manufacture pirated PlayStation2 discs in the Far East.

These types of Chinese copy disc are created by physically joining two discs together. In this case the Splinter Cell cheat disc has been 'joined' to a pirated copy of Sega's Crazy Taxi PS2 disc. It's easy to spot a Chinese copy a mile off - the Splinter Cell cheat disc even reports as "Crazy Taxi" when it's read using the CD-ROM drive of a standard PC computer.

LOL! Ubi and Mad Catz getting discs from a pirate supplier :D
Mon 05/05/03 at 20:44
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
Edgy wrote:
> Well Sega have passed on an email I sent them to their legal team. It
> is now up to Sega to decide whether or not to take action.

He he he, Sega will prob want to claim royalties on any disc's sold
Mon 05/05/03 at 19:14
Regular
Well Sega have passed on an email I sent them to their legal team. It is now up to Sega to decide whether or not to take action.
Mon 05/05/03 at 11:17
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
This has been going on for years, its how they make self boot pirate games, and its what killed off the dreamcast's copy protection system.

As for Ubisoft sending the cheat cd to the same ppl making pirates, I bet a researcher got sacked for that!
Sun 04/05/03 at 14:01
Regular
I'm not sure of why they need to stick two discs together to get the code to operate, but this is basically what happens:

The factory used to produce this new 'official cheats disc' for Mad-Catz and Ubi also make illegal pirate copies of games they sell in China.

They use a special method of copying the boot-up code from a game's disc, in this case, Crazy Taxi, and cut around the disc to make it small enough to fit their own program around it.

They then fix their own disc program to the outer edge to make the two discs as one.

They've been doing this with their pirate copies in China, and are doing the same with 'Official' cheat discs, which I would have thought would be licensed by Sony...

hmmm...
Sat 03/05/03 at 19:01
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
You two are idiots.

As are UBI Soft.
HA.
How the hell didn't they know?
I laugh at their stupidity.
Ha.
Sat 03/05/03 at 17:12
Same. What is it, did they stick two CDs together or summat?
Sat 03/05/03 at 17:11
"slightlyshortertagl"
Ermm...

Me am confused.
Fri 02/05/03 at 23:22
Regular
From http://www.gamesindustrynews.com/

Ubi Soft may be riding high in the videogames chart at the moment with Splinter Cell, the highly-acclaimed game of stealth and infiltration. But it seems that the company is blissfully unaware of some stealthy software piracy activities that have been going on right under its own nose.

Ubi Soft has teamed up with peripheral firms Fire, Mad Catz and Thrustmaster to produce Splinter Cell-branded products including an "official" cheat code disc for the PlayStation2 version of its best-selling game. What the games publisher doesn't appear to know is that this 'Official' cheat disc is actually made by the very same factories that manufacture pirated PlayStation2 discs in the Far East.

These types of Chinese copy disc are created by physically joining two discs together. In this case the Splinter Cell cheat disc has been 'joined' to a pirated copy of Sega's Crazy Taxi PS2 disc. It's easy to spot a Chinese copy a mile off - the Splinter Cell cheat disc even reports as "Crazy Taxi" when it's read using the CD-ROM drive of a standard PC computer.

LOL! Ubi and Mad Catz getting discs from a pirate supplier :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.