GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, HD then..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/07/06 at 23:19
Regular
"8==="
Ok so HD's being pushed to death and the next-generation of games certainly do look good on a standard tv, but it'd be interesting to see the difference between non-HD and HD with regards to games.

I know tv programs in HD are/can be 4x more detailed but is this generally the case for games? Obviously games aren't up to the standard of real footage (although some might give Pixar movies a run for their money!) so is the difference really worth forking out for a new £500+ tv?

Clearly people can offer opinions until they're blue in the face but I'd rather see a link to some pictures that can accurately portray the differences between a game being displayed on a HD television and the same game on a normal tv.

Also, are computer monitors able to display games in HD? Would a VGA box be able to take a HD signal and display it properly on a monitor?

As you can see I'm not up on the technical stuff, perhaps some of you can help answer these questions and/or provide a satisfactory link so I can really see what all the fuss is about? :)
Sat 08/07/06 at 13:01
Regular
"8==="
Yeah I sometimes get that. Not very often though.

*Waits for TV to explode*
Sat 08/07/06 at 12:17
Regular
"Mooching around"
Whenever I put 60Hz on my TV it just starts buzzing; I get scared; and quickly change back to 50Hz. :-P
Sat 08/07/06 at 02:57
Regular
"8==="
Geffdof wrote:
> the picture
> quality is improved quite a bit over regular TV. IT makes
> everything look new and bright, as though its been polished.

Sounds like the difference I noticed when I put Pal 60 on, it wouldn't affect gameplay though.
Fri 07/07/06 at 19:37
Regular
"lets go back"
Well I cant really answer that properly. What would I say? Its seven better?

I saw some demonstrations of HD tv's in John Lewis. Up until that point I thought they would be a bit rubbish but the picture quality is improved quite a bit over regular TV. IT makes everything look new and bright, as though its been polished. I dont think its that amazing though because not everything would look improved. It would be great for some films and games or maybe nature shows or something, but if all you watch is eastenders then there isnt much point.

I'd suggest you all go down to a shop such as John Lewis and have a look. They have them on display with HD tv running on them.
Thu 06/07/06 at 23:55
Regular
"Mooching around"
How much better? :-D
Thu 06/07/06 at 23:46
Regular
"lets go back"
If your TV breaks anytime soon and you need to replace it then go for HD because there isnt much point spending £300 on a new "regular" tv when you could future proof for a few hundred more.

I wouldnt bother rushing out and buying one straight away. You would only see the benefit if you subscribed to Sky HD, had a HD games console and a HD DVD player which would end up costing you hundreds more.

HD does look better though, so start saving for in the future.
Thu 06/07/06 at 22:58
Regular
"8==="
Nice. :D

Might see what it looks like on my monitor then. :)
Thu 06/07/06 at 22:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Hedfix wrote:
> Obviously games aren't up to the
> standard of real footage (although some might give Pixar movies
> a run for their money!) so is the difference really worth
> forking out for a new £500+ tv?

Purely for gaming? I'd say no too.
I think thats true for HD in general though. There isnt a great deal of support for it yet. At this point if you need a buy a new TV then HD is the way to go I think. Buying a new TV for the sake of HD doesnt seem a great prospect yet.

> Clearly people can offer opinions until they're blue in the face
> but I'd rather see a link to some pictures that can accurately
> portray the differences between a game being displayed on a HD
> television and the same game on a normal tv.

Never seen any such pictures myself. And I'm not sure how much use they'd be to you as you're always going to be limited by the resolution of the pictures.
I'm assuming you have a PC of some description. Pick any game, run it at a resolution of 640x480, then try running it at 1024x768. That as good an illustration as any of the type of difference you'll see. Although I would point out that you wont see as much of a difference between a standard TV and a HD TV as there are other influencing factors.

> Also, are computer monitors able to display games in HD? Would a
> VGA box be able to take a HD signal and display it properly on a
> monitor?

Yes they are. And you dont really need a VGA Box to use them anymore, theres a VGA HD AV Cable available for 360 that'll plug into a monitor.
Thu 06/07/06 at 22:47
Regular
"8==="
Ok, cheers. :)
Thu 06/07/06 at 22:33
Regular
"Mooching around"
Hedfix wrote:

> I know tv programs in HD are/can be 4x more detailed but is this
> generally the case for games? Obviously games aren't up to the
> standard of real footage (although some might give Pixar movies
> a run for their money!) so is the difference really worth
> forking out for a new £500+ tv?

Not just for games, I don't think so. Apparently games look amazing on them, but they just cant be worht getting something that costs more than a PS3.

> Clearly people can offer opinions until they're blue in the face
> but I'd rather see a link to some pictures that can accurately
> portray the differences between a game being displayed on a HD
> television and the same game on a normal tv.

> Also, are computer monitors able to display games in HD? Would a
> VGA box be able to take a HD signal and display it properly on a
> monitor?

I doubt VGA can at the moment. But my laptop's LCD screen can support a medium resolution HD signal.

> As you can see I'm not up on the technical stuff, perhaps some
> of you can help answer these questions and/or provide a
> satisfactory link so I can really see what all the fuss is
> about? :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.