GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Football Punditry"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/11/01 at 12:44
Regular
OK, I got sent an e-mail yesterday called Ron Atkinson's bingo, (which I have unfortunately deleted, and so can't use in this post) which involved ridiculous statements by Ron Atkinson, which you were supposed to listen out for and score points depending on how many he used in a game.

It got me thinking about how useless TV pundits are. Almost definitely the worst is Dave Bassett, who simply repeats the commentary:

"Yeah, well, he's crossed the ball in from the left there, and well, the forward's controlled it, and well, he's put it in the goal." - Yeah, thanks Dave.

As opposed to Ron, who just makes up rubbish:

"Well, the little fellars knocked it up to the back stick, and the big lad's got eyebrows on it, put it in the blender, then he's gone for a tic-tac-toe" (Apparently this was the phrase he used when Andy Cole had a shot saved bottom-left, centre middle, and top-right, giving him three in a row in noughts and crosses - honest!!)

Then you have Andy Gray:

"As you can see here (using stupidly advanced computer graphics to show that David Beckham's mohican isn't quite straight) the lad's made a grrrreat effort, but the finish wasn't quite there when he needed it." or "Let me just run this through (queue footage running at double speed with stupid dots appearing everywhere as the players run around)....now, as you can quite clearly see, he's offside when the ball is played, (queue FA seeing Sky and quickly demoting our best referees to the Unibond Conference)

Or Andy Townsend:

"I'm here in the ITV Tactics Truck with Ugo Ehiogu (and loads of blokes sitting there pretending to do stuff...what could they possibly be doing? Tactics stuff?) - now, Ugo what did you think of the game?
- Well, uh, we, uh, lost, but I thought, uh, the boys did good.
- OK. Now, the sending off, do you think that changed the game?
- Well, uh, it meant that, uh we only had, uh, 9 men, so yeah.
- Except that of course then you had ten men, Ugo.
- Oh yeah.
- Thanks Ugo. Back to you Des

Sorry, but if any of this actually helps people watch football I'd be amazed. That's why MOTD was brilliant, there was good commentary, proper analysis, with good opinions, and no ridiculous gimmicks.

So come on, lets get some good pundits, intelligent commentators, and lose the ridiculous ProZone and all that!
Tue 13/11/01 at 12:44
Regular
"I love Dave music"
OK, I got sent an e-mail yesterday called Ron Atkinson's bingo, (which I have unfortunately deleted, and so can't use in this post) which involved ridiculous statements by Ron Atkinson, which you were supposed to listen out for and score points depending on how many he used in a game.

It got me thinking about how useless TV pundits are. Almost definitely the worst is Dave Bassett, who simply repeats the commentary:

"Yeah, well, he's crossed the ball in from the left there, and well, the forward's controlled it, and well, he's put it in the goal." - Yeah, thanks Dave.

As opposed to Ron, who just makes up rubbish:

"Well, the little fellars knocked it up to the back stick, and the big lad's got eyebrows on it, put it in the blender, then he's gone for a tic-tac-toe" (Apparently this was the phrase he used when Andy Cole had a shot saved bottom-left, centre middle, and top-right, giving him three in a row in noughts and crosses - honest!!)

Then you have Andy Gray:

"As you can see here (using stupidly advanced computer graphics to show that David Beckham's mohican isn't quite straight) the lad's made a grrrreat effort, but the finish wasn't quite there when he needed it." or "Let me just run this through (queue footage running at double speed with stupid dots appearing everywhere as the players run around)....now, as you can quite clearly see, he's offside when the ball is played, (queue FA seeing Sky and quickly demoting our best referees to the Unibond Conference)

Or Andy Townsend:

"I'm here in the ITV Tactics Truck with Ugo Ehiogu (and loads of blokes sitting there pretending to do stuff...what could they possibly be doing? Tactics stuff?) - now, Ugo what did you think of the game?
- Well, uh, we, uh, lost, but I thought, uh, the boys did good.
- OK. Now, the sending off, do you think that changed the game?
- Well, uh, it meant that, uh we only had, uh, 9 men, so yeah.
- Except that of course then you had ten men, Ugo.
- Oh yeah.
- Thanks Ugo. Back to you Des

Sorry, but if any of this actually helps people watch football I'd be amazed. That's why MOTD was brilliant, there was good commentary, proper analysis, with good opinions, and no ridiculous gimmicks.

So come on, lets get some good pundits, intelligent commentators, and lose the ridiculous ProZone and all that!
Tue 13/11/01 at 12:47
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Dammit, sorry, wasn't concentrating and put this in the wrong forum. I apologise for my incompetence!
Tue 13/11/01 at 12:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I suppose technically it is a TV thing.
Tue 13/11/01 at 12:54
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Yeah, do you reckon I can get away with? Maybe if we don't tell anyone they won't notice?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.