GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jon and Will"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/08/00 at 20:34
Regular
Me and my Friend belive that the Dreamcast is the best console on Mutha £$!"% planet earth. I feel it is a strong competitor for being the console of the future. Who ever disagrees, please give us your replies.
Thu 17/08/00 at 23:15
I had Pizza and chips!
Thu 17/08/00 at 22:31
Okay people, this is getting ridiculous and there's a bit of unnecessary roughness going on! First, i would like to say that i didn't mean to imply that Playstations and so forth are better than Dreamcast, personnally i feel that playstations are a waste of money and the games for it are all clones of the same 3 games, sorry if i gave a different impression. Secondly, i presume that there is confusion about what an RPG is. Zelda and similar games cannot be considered an RPG because you don't develop or create and develop you're own character as such (Final Fantasy is a bit complicated but it differs from True RPG). RPGs such as Baldur's Gate and Fallout are very different from the type made for consoles and none of this type of RPG are availiable on consoles, they are more character interaction and with action as a possibility or sub-factor (mainly needed only for experience but good communication gets Experience too). So while there is a certain more hack and slash style of RPGs on consoles the true RPGs remain exclusive to PCs. Not sure what UT and Quake 3 have to do with space combat and flight sims? but i presume the reasons the best flight sims cannot be recreated onto a console is lack of buttons. This applies especially to space combat because there are shield modulations, throttles, energy distributions, each consisting of at least 3 buttons, and then there's targetting etc. so flight sims and Combat simulators are difficult to make for consoles, being that there are at most about 8 buttons i think. Not sure why sitting at a PC is more unwholesome than sitting on a sofa at a console? if you mean multiplayer, then the console is better for having friends over to play with (imagine if you will 4 people huddled round a PC, or the cost to buy 4 Pcs and Network them!) but if not that then you are making no sense! Dreamcast the console of the future? no, it is the console of the past and will be buried quite soon and PS2 will be a goner as soon as it arrives! Dreamcasts on-line abilities are just pointless and you are much much better to get a PC because it already has free phone bills availiable, you can get better modems and the web page design capabilities, not to mention that not all sites are compatible with Dreamcast! Upgrading your PC you say? well you must remember that minimum spec PCs even do tend to last a long time anyway, games technology has begun to fall farther and farther behind hardware capabilities, so if you bought the best PC on offer it would last for at least 3 years i should think and probably more! Anything else you'd like covered? or have i soundly thrashed all arguments?
Thu 17/08/00 at 21:05
Ok, some of you are getting a bit strayed from the Dreamcast discussion, look. We like it when you retaliating, but " Sorry i got disconnected." We dont want your life story, next you will be telling me what you had for dinner.
Thu 17/08/00 at 20:19
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Ugg The Thug wrote:
> You can say what you like about "crap PC's" but the
> fact, and it is a fact remains that if you are a wise shopper and
> buy the right PC the PC will out perform any console ever, hands
> down. There are also many things a PC can do which a console
> cannot, creating Graphics for example, manipulating images,
> printing pictures or other documents

Well of course it will! But PC's are specifically designed for doing varied tasks, such as Programming, Word Processing, Games, Web Design etc. A console isn't. A console is designed for doing one task. Playing games!

As with every PC out on the market, you can upgrade your PC, but don't the upgrades often cost as much as a console?

> PC's can also run more games than consoles, Space
> Combat Simulators for example, like TIE Fighter and X-wing vs TIE
> Fighter and the brilliant Freespace 2, games which cannot and
> probably will never run on a console. Other Flight sims like Red
> Baron are also not possible to recreate on a Console. Strategy
> games like Command and Conquer and Warcraft are also never as good
> as the PC version on a Console.

Have to disagree with you there, if I had a pound for every "I bought this yesterday and it doesn't work on my PC" line, I'd be a millionaire.

Why aren't games such as Red Baron possible to recreate on a console? Explain?

I mean, Epic have managed it with Unreal Tournament. Not to mention that console owners also have Quake 3 and Halflife coming to these shores soon.

> Finally the biggest game at the
> moment Diablo 2 and other RPG's never work on consoles and
> some like Fallout or Ice Wind Dale and Baldurs Gate are probably
> impossible to create for a console.

Have to disagree with you there too. RPG's are made for consoles IMHO. Titles such as Secret Of Mana, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Phantasy Star, Grandia. All great RPG's. And all console based.

Personally, I'm not a big PC gamer myself. There are some wicked games out for the PC. But I find sitting at a PC playing a game is somewhat unwholesome to me. I'd rather sit down on my sofa and play Virtua Tennis.
Thu 17/08/00 at 19:59
sorry about posting twice BT disconnected me while I was typing. (note: this is BT's fault not my PC's!!! as I had no trouble with my connection when I was with Virgin.net)
Thu 17/08/00 at 19:57
You can say what you like about "crap PC's" but the fact, and it is a fact remains that if you are a wise shopper and buy the right PC the PC will out perform any console ever, hands down. There are also many things a PC can do which a console cannot, creating Graphics for example, manipulating images, printing pictures or other documents, PC's can make web pages and you can type words, I know it may be possible to do text with a console but I imagine it is not as easy to do as typing with a keyboard. PC's can also run more games than consoles, Space Combat Simulators for example, like TIE Fighter and X-wing vs TIE Fighter and the brilliant Freespace 2, games which cannot and probably will never run on a console. Other Flight sims like Red Baron are also not possible to recreate on a Console. Strategy games like Command and Conquer and Warcraft are also never as good as the PC version on a Console. Finally the biggest game at the moment Diablo 2 and other RPG's never work on consoles and some like Fallout or Ice Wind Dale and Baldurs Gate are probably impossible to create for a console. PC's are getting lower in price as consoles become more expensive and Console games cost £20 or greater more than PC games. In the future the console will be but a memory as the Computer is the ruler of the earth (not as in we are slaves to computers but meaning that computers will be the main source of entertainment, education, travel and just about everything else).
Thu 17/08/00 at 19:57
You can say what you like about "crap PC's" but the fact, and it is a fact remains that if you are a wise shopper and buy the right PC the PC will out perform any console ever, hands down. There are also many things a PC can do which a console cannot, creating Graphics for example, manipulating images, printing pictures or other documents, PC's can make web pages and you can type words, I know it may be possible to do text with a console but I imagine it is not as easy to do as typing with a keyboard. PC's can also run more games than consoles, Space Combat Simulators for example, like TIE Fighter and X-wing vs TIE Fighter and the brilliant Freespace 2, games which cannot and probably will never run on a console. Other Flight sims like Red Baron are also not possible to recreate on a Console. Strategy games like Command and Conquer and Warcraft are also never as good as the PC version on a Console. Finally the biggest game at the moment Diablo 2 and other RPG's never work on consoles and some like Fallout or Ice Wind Dale and Baldurs Gate are probably impossible to create for a console. PC's are getting lower in price as consoles become more expensive and Console games cost £20 or greater more than PC games. In the future the console will be but a memory as the Computer is the ruler of the earth (not as in we are slaves to computers but meaning that computers will be the main source of entertainment, education, travel and just about everything else).
Thu 17/08/00 at 18:42
lol (laughing out loud)
Thu 17/08/00 at 11:18
> They are even thinking of another sequel making it up to Final
> Fantasy 10! when will it be the actual FINAL fantasy?

Well, Squaresoft have planned FF 11, but then apparently it's supposed to just be an on-line version of FF 10 - i.e. in a similar style to Ultima Online, etc.

Who knows? Just imagine...

"New this week: Final Fantasy XXVII for your PS99!"
Wed 16/08/00 at 21:53
Although I am a pure NINTENDO fan, I beleive sega to be good competitors in the gaming market! They, like Nintendo have brought out original games and like Nintendo don't rely on other developers to make the games for their consoles.

(rare is 33% owned by Nintendo)

Sony on the other hand rely on other developers as they have only made the Crash Bandicoot series for themselves! Although they bring out loads of games per month, most of them are 2D.

PC's are great and what you said about sequels being bad, I like sequels, look at the command & conquer series and the Worms series, they are some of the most popular games ever with their sequels making the stories even better!

I don't agree however with the final fantasy series! It was originally on the NES then continued on SNES and Gameboy and now on PC and Playstation! They are even thinking of another sequel making it up to Final Fantasy 10! when will it be the actual FINAL fantasy?

Anyway that's my opinion!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.