GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Play aren't cheap any more"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/05/03 at 22:52
Regular
I'm sure SR won't be too bothered by this topic, given the nature of it.

What happened to Play? When SR started to jack their prices up in the direction of high street level, Play were there to help me out.
It's gradually dawning on me that like SR before them, Play have found success, and it's time to cash in on it.

What's going on with everyone? Does it really make good business sense to rack up the customers then change your pricing policy to destroy the very reason they came to you?

I was impressed that they randomly sent me a free ps2 vertical stand with my zelda order. Suddenly paying £5 over other places' prices didn't seem so bad. (I wanted it on release, so didn't want to lose my place in the pre-order waiting list). They do have the odd bargain too (ps2 mem card 2 pack). But for the most part they just aren't cheap any more.

Ah well. I cut back my buying from SR when they lost their price edge. Play probably took a lot of their custom then. But who now shall succeed play as seller of cheap stuff to me?
Fri 09/05/03 at 22:04
Regular
Blank wrote:
> CD Wow import from Hong Kong, if it's the site I'm thinking of.
>
> Don't say I didn't warn you.

CD-wow rules!
Fri 09/05/03 at 22:02
Regular
in terms of service, Amazon is king on the net. absolute top-notch for service
Fri 09/05/03 at 20:16
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Heh.

Actually he does have a point.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:50
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
It was a small joke about the SARS virus, doesn't really matter. Admittedly, it was a bad joke.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:46
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Nothing wrong with importing from Honk Kong, Blank. I've dealt with numerous Ebay users in Hong Kong and got some startlingly cheap anime DVD's and received most of them within 4 days of ordering.

You just have to know which labels to look out for 'cause there are obviuosly some conmen around.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:41
Regular
Ebay is excellent.
Bought a new keyboard off that for 17 quid which is cheaper than the RRP.
You can even find second hand games that i didn't buy in the first place for much cheaper.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:41
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
CD Wow import from Hong Kong, if it's the site I'm thinking of.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
Fri 09/05/03 at 19:11
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
To my mind, it's not just the price you get something for, but how fast the delivery is as well. A lot of the time I impulse buy stuff I want, and if I know it's going to take - like in Play's case - up to working 5 days to get it then it puts me off. Sure postage was free, but it sucked, and they sent items seperately so you ended up with things all coming on different days - one of my orders came across 4 days once, yet all were dispatched the same day.

My best experience with buying games online is sadly not with SR, but GAME, I ordered two in stock Gamecube games, and pre ordered the new Zelda pack last Tuesday afternoon at about 4pm. Next morning the two games arrived, and first thing Thursday morning the Zelda Console pack arrived. And postage was all free :)

For anything else online I tend to look to Ebay as, if you're careful, there are bargains to be had, though I'm going to take a look at that CD WOW site someone mentioned and see if they have imports like Play 'cause there are a few I want and they go for silly prices on Ebay.
Fri 09/05/03 at 18:40
Regular
gameplay.co.uk isnt bad. most of the time similar prices to SR, sometimes better. good service though :-)
Fri 09/05/03 at 18:36
Regular
But its better to wait closer to release date on that site, prices normally drop. They aren't the best for cheap pre-order, but worth a look

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.