GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda and Link (Present and Past)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time'.
Sat 10/05/03 at 17:08
Regular
Link and Zelda have been going for quite a while now (1987 to be precise) and every game that they make has been completely amazing and so to celebrate the release of Zelda the wind waker (the 9th game of Zelda) I will give you a run down of each game.

1.The very first game was in 1987 The legend of Zelda on the NES. The NES was an 8-bit console. In the Legend of Zelda Ganon’s army has invaded hyrule castle and has stolen the Triforce of power. Zelda fearing Ganon’s wicked rule, split the Triforce of wisdom into eight fragments and hid these in eight underworld labyrinths. At the same time she sent her nursemaid Impa to search hyrule for a man with enough courage to destroy Ganon. Hearing of this, Ganon kidnaps Zelda and send his minions to find Impa. Impa was pursued and finally Surrounded by the monsters but before they could hurt her a young lad named link appears and scares them off.

2.The second Game released in Europe in 1989(the year I was born) was The Legend of Zelda: The Adventures of Link on the NES. The storyline is as usual Princess Zelda is held captive in a permanent, magical state of sleep. This was the Final Zelda game on the NES. A console which first brought us Zelda on a 8-bit console it will never be forget in my eyes.

3. The third game was on the SNES The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past which was released in Japan in 1991 and North America in 1992. The game, a milestone in the Adventure genre enjoyed huge success. This was a tribute to its Highly detailed and impressive design as well as demanding riddles. If I had to complain about something, I would point to some of the later dungeons. You can literally spend DAYS in any given dungeon trying to figure out just how you’re supposed to advance to the next area. But on the whole another brilliant game.

4. The First game to be released on the Game boy in 1993 was The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening. It was necessary to fight through jungle terrain and a complex system of caves in Cocolint Island. Link's Awakening takes place just after A Link to the Past, with Link travelling across the sea by boat. Of course, since fate has no mercy for heroes, he ends up shipwrecked on an island and knocked unconscious. He awakens in the house of a local named Marin and discovers that the only way off the island is by awakening the legendary Wind Fish. Though the story strays from its roots by neglecting staple features such as the Triforce, Ganon and Zelda, it does nothing to detract from the game and make it feel any less magical than the other Zelda titles. Instead, it offers a refreshing break from the overused norm of 'rescue the princess and get the Triforce. Even today this is still a popular game on the original game boy. In 1999 Link’s awakening DX was released for the Game boy colour

5. 64 Bits that’s how much the Nintendo 64 had. Amazing really how much Zelda has evolved. In 1998 The Ocarina of time was released it had 3d graphics and was simply the best around at the time. I remember getting it for Christmas and never stop playing it for ages. It had a never before instrument the Ocarina and you could ride a horse. Usual plot but 3D. At the touch of one button link could change the time of day using his Ocarina. Truly amazing.

6. Still on the same console Nintendo 64 released a sequel to the ocarina of time the Majora’s Mask, which was released in 2000. Link was required to fulfil a multitude of tasks within a 72-hour period. The player could also turn back time and solve riddles. In My opinion it wasn’t as good as the ocarina of time but still it was Zelda.

7.2001 saw the double pack release of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of seasons both on the Game boy colour. At the end of either of the games, a new password feature appears. This enables you to transfer Equipment and abilities, thereby unlocking additional events and riddles. In Oracle of Seasons, it's up to Link to rescue perennial Damsel in Distress Princess Zelda by making use of the Rod of the Four Seasons. By using the rod to alter the seasons, Link can open up new areas and secrets. Similarly, in Oracle of Ages, players will make use of a harp to enable Link to travel back and forth through time, to similar effect.

8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past was next on another new console the Game boy Advance. This was actually a remake of the SNES classic a link to the pass in 1992. In this game two to four of your friends can stand-by in Link-Mode to take up the challenge in the treacherous dungeons. The music is great, the colours are vibrant, and the game play is right on... this is a classic Nintendo game ported perfectly to the GBA.

9. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker it says amazing in the title. It has finally come all the hype about the game and people were not disappointed in it. It cost £34.99 for the Gamecube and came with a Free disk which had The ocarina of time and Master quest on it (Master quest was supposed to be released on the 64DD) plus it has footage of up coming games. Well the actual game itself is truly breath taking. Quite a lot of people that I Know where put off by the sudden change to Cel-shaded. However its Zelda if Nintendo didn’t think it would work they wouldn’t have made it. All the equipment is there with a few extras. But this time the story has changed. Aryll Link’s sister is captured by a flying bird and kept in a Forbidden forest. Link can also control which way the wind is blowing with his new Wind waker( a bit like a conductor).

Well thank you for reading and lets just wait for the next Zelda to come along.

Blurb
Sun 11/05/03 at 16:22
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Dringo wrote:
> Tony_Blair wrote:
> and no one remembered about Zelda on the CDI *tuts* *hugs own copy*
>
> There are 3 Zelda's on the Cdi, all poorly constructed and crap... why
> Nintendo gave such a franchise to phillip's is beyond me... although I
> rather enjoyed Hotel Mario.
=====

Think it was due to the legal rights of something or another, which gave Nintendo no choice but to allow the phillips to create this games. Hotel mario was great! I also have another console something by Panasonic 3DO lol that console was class!
Sun 11/05/03 at 14:23
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Probably.

*Shrugs*

I dunno, they're all rubbish nowadays though.
Sun 11/05/03 at 14:22
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Final Fantasy 4 and 6 are excellent.
Sun 11/05/03 at 14:19
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Memorandum wrote:
> Tony_Blair wrote:
> I am sure you would play FF series if it had zip storyline ;P
>
> Zip?

If by zip you mean no storyline, then I would agree.

Although I don't play Final Fantasy anyway. It's more like an interactive film than a game.
Sun 11/05/03 at 14:10
Regular
Tony_Blair wrote:
> and no one remembered about Zelda on the CDI *tuts* *hugs own copy*

There are 3 Zelda's on the Cdi, all poorly constructed and crap... why Nintendo gave such a franchise to phillip's is beyond me... although I rather enjoyed Hotel Mario.
Sun 11/05/03 at 13:40
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Tony_Blair wrote:
> I am sure you would play FF series if it had zip storyline ;P

Zip?
Sun 11/05/03 at 13:37
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Storylines do encourage you to finish a game, but playing through something you get no enjoyment from just to see the story unfold is rather pointless.

Like those fools who like MGS2, then again, it only had about 3 hours of gameplay.
Sun 11/05/03 at 13:25
Regular
SToryline can actually be rather compelling...

Helped me to finish Turok 3.
Sun 11/05/03 at 13:14
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Dringo wrote:
> Memorandum wrote:
> Playing a game just for the storyline is stupid.
>

=====

I am sure you would play FF series if it had zip storyline ;P
Sun 11/05/03 at 13:06
Regular
Memorandum wrote:
> Playing a game just for the storyline is stupid.

Aka Resident Evil.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.