GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thoughts on the England Sweden game"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/11/01 at 13:00
Regular
Well I thought we played well.

Our defense still isn't working together as a unit, but how can it when the players only get together a handfull of times a year?

I guess the key will be to use players that understand each other already. Once Sol Cambell has settled at Arsenal he may form a great partnership with Martin Keown, why not let the national team take advantage of this? Throw Ashley Cole into the picture too, and the 3/4 of the defense will already be working as aunit.

That would mean leaving out Rio Ferdinand, who has played quite well for England lately.

It was good to see Scholes playing well again. He was always busy in midfield, and made a number of chances.

Trever Sinclair did okay, but I don't think he's the answer to the left side problem. Anderton was pretty much anonymous after he came on.

Phillips didn't do baly up front, but Fowler was much more impressive, getting into good positions.

Beckham certainly knows how to take a penalty! Christ, did he ever put some power behind that!

Sweden had won something ridiculous like 13 games on the trot, and are full of confidence, it's good to see that we played at least at the same level.

Come February, when we play Holland, our defense will get a good test. We need tough gammes to prepare us for the World Cup.
Mon 12/11/01 at 13:00
Regular
"not dead"
Well I thought we played well.

Our defense still isn't working together as a unit, but how can it when the players only get together a handfull of times a year?

I guess the key will be to use players that understand each other already. Once Sol Cambell has settled at Arsenal he may form a great partnership with Martin Keown, why not let the national team take advantage of this? Throw Ashley Cole into the picture too, and the 3/4 of the defense will already be working as aunit.

That would mean leaving out Rio Ferdinand, who has played quite well for England lately.

It was good to see Scholes playing well again. He was always busy in midfield, and made a number of chances.

Trever Sinclair did okay, but I don't think he's the answer to the left side problem. Anderton was pretty much anonymous after he came on.

Phillips didn't do baly up front, but Fowler was much more impressive, getting into good positions.

Beckham certainly knows how to take a penalty! Christ, did he ever put some power behind that!

Sweden had won something ridiculous like 13 games on the trot, and are full of confidence, it's good to see that we played at least at the same level.

Come February, when we play Holland, our defense will get a good test. We need tough gammes to prepare us for the World Cup.
Mon 12/11/01 at 13:03
Regular
I thought the match was good. I didn't see it all, only watch the highlights on BBC saturday evening, but they only cut out 15 mins from the 90, so it wasn't so bad.

We shouldn't have had that penalty. Simple as that.

Also, we did play well, but not as well as we need to. Beckham was once again in a class of his own - we're a bit up sheet street if anything happens to him before next summer.

I thought Heskey appeared to do sod all - except fall over, as per usual.
Mon 12/11/01 at 13:06
Regular
"not dead"
Yes, I forgot Heskey was even on the pitch!

Actually he did win 2 decent headers in the box in the first half, but defenders got to them before Phillips did.

No it wasn't a penalty, but hey, you take advantage of these things!
Mon 12/11/01 at 13:06
Regular
"not dead"
Forgot to mention that Danny Murphy played well, after he came on as a sub.
Mon 12/11/01 at 15:21
Regular
Danny Murphy did play well.

I suspect he will be in the 22 who fly out next summer.

Apparently Gary Linekar has said that Kevin Phillips doesn't deserve to be in the 22. Not sure of any details, just caught a headline on the back page while at lunch.
Mon 12/11/01 at 15:34
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Yes, it wasn't a penalty, but wasn't there a Sweedish handball in the area in the second half? Nobody complained, because we were lucky to get the first one, but if we hadn't, we could just as easily have had that one.

I didn't think we played particularly brilliantly. Folwer had a handful of good chances later on, and should have converted one of them. Phillips didn't really do much - but then he didn't really get any chances. Whose fault is that?

Sven's luck held. Again.
Mon 12/11/01 at 21:07
Martin Keown is too old now, he is slow and clumsy at iternational level.

What about Gazza coming back in, he looks in good form at the moment
Mon 12/11/01 at 22:23
I expected better things against Sweden, but the way we played the match, a draw was what either team deserved in the end.

Magnus Hedman did one hell of a save to stop Beckham's first half free kick, but it was nice to see that Beckham got revenge later on with the "penalty".

Apart from that, the team really didn't play exceptionally well. Not very happy with the team's general performance, but then a draw's a draw.
Mon 12/11/01 at 22:33
Regular
What about Backburns Dunn getting into the team? Heard reports in the papers today that he will be called into the team for the next match.

Only seen him play against Arsenal this season, but he was absolutly amazing!
Mon 12/11/01 at 22:38
I reckon David Dunn is a player with a lot of potential, he may become one of our better players and may take a more influencial role in the international game.

He may be a challenger to the role of Steven Gerrard or Paul Scholes, wherever he becomes a first team regular or a substitute for them should the worst happen remains to be seen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.