GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need some questions answered."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/11/01 at 10:57
Regular
Next year I'm going to America. When I'm there I hope to buy a Game cube. I know that I can't use UK games on the American version and I'll have to get some sort of adaptor for my tv and plug. Is there anything else I need to know.

Cheers

PS Can any one tell me how much it will cost.
Mon 12/11/01 at 10:57
Regular
"I confused?"
Next year I'm going to America. When I'm there I hope to buy a Game cube. I know that I can't use UK games on the American version and I'll have to get some sort of adaptor for my tv and plug. Is there anything else I need to know.

Cheers

PS Can any one tell me how much it will cost.
Mon 12/11/01 at 10:58
Regular
You will need a power step up convertor.

A TV which supports NTSC input,

and enough cash to buy import games at about twice the price of UK games when you come home.
Mon 12/11/01 at 11:05
Regular
"I confused?"
How much will the import games cost?
Mon 12/11/01 at 11:58
Regular
They are coming in from Japan at about £60 at the moment.
Mon 12/11/01 at 12:37
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Here's the deal:

Buy a US console and some games over there... the console and games will be far cheaper than over here...

Buy a power transformer (about £15 from somewhere like Tandy)

Make sure your TV has the ability to play NTSC format signal, and that it has a SCART input (any modern TV will).

When you buy American games in England, they will probably be about £50... however, you do get them sooner, they run faster and often there are many games release in America, but not over here.

If you want to play UK games, then you will either need to get the console "chipped" (that is, get a company to put a special computer chip inside the machine that will allow it to play any games), OR there may be cartridges that will fit into into the back/underside of the console, and allow you to play any games (like with the gameshark things).

You will then be able to play any game from any country... but do remember that such chips and carts will not be available from launch... it may take a few months to develop them.

Sonic
To be this good takes AGES
Mon 12/11/01 at 12:39
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Bonus wrote:
> You will need a power step up convertor.

A TV which supports NTSC input,
>

and enough cash to buy import games at about twice the price of UK games
> when you come home.

Where will you find these Power Step up Convertor?
Mon 12/11/01 at 16:13
Regular
"DS..."
dont you meen a step DOWN convertor?
slik ~_~
Mon 12/11/01 at 18:48
Having a US console rather than a European console has many advantages, such as:

1. Titles are released earlier.
2. Larger library of games available.
3. NTSC (US) runs at 60hz, where PAL (Euro) runs at 50hz, meaning US games will run faster and on a full screen.
4. Games and accessories will definitely be cheaper.
5. Console is easy to modify. You can bet it will be possible to modify the US console to play Japanese games.... and just think how many games that are released in Japan that aren't even released in the US, never mind Europe. Infact, the modification to play US games on a Japanese console has already been discovered, so there is no reason not to buy a Japanese console anymore.

I have a Japanese GameCube, and about a month ago I pre-ordered the US GameCube. Only after that I found out the Japanese console can easily be modified! I guess I can have one for the sitting room and one for the bedroom now!

Another idea is to wait until December 14th and import the "Q" GameCube from Japan which is made by Panasonic (Matsushita). This model also has DVD and music capabilities, complete with a remote control and looks the business too. Just get this console modified to play US games and then you're laughing. The ultimate machine! Goodbye to the Playstation 2!
Mon 12/11/01 at 19:02
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Yeah, but if you buy games (US games) on import from an auction site like ebay.com you will get them cheaper than the US retail! But you will have to pay the shipping costs, which will probably be about £5-10 per package if it's a DVD sized kind of case. Hope this helps you decide!
Mon 12/11/01 at 19:28
In addition to my previous post, there are loads of American shops online (huge retailers and small outlets) who will sell the games for the normal rate and are willing to send internationally. OK, so you have to pay a little extra on P&P and on a rare ocassion you get charged import duties from Customs and Excise, but to get games months earlier, it's still well worth it I think, especially in the long run. As we know, there are loads of places in the UK that sell import games, but mostly at rip off price. AND ONE OTHER BIG ADVANTAGE ABOUTING IMPORTING.... you get to play a game months before most other people, so when your mates finally get a copy you can say to them in a smug voice "already completed it"!.... and if it's a multiplayer game you can kick their ass! at it everytime!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.