GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Pokémon Soul Silver"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pokemon SoulSilver Version'.
Fri 09/07/10 at 16:25
Regular
The newest remake of the expansive Pokémon franchise brought a much loved game to a new generation. I myself was 8 when Pokémon Silver was first released, so, 8 years on, it is good to see a personal favourite from my gaming past brought to life in a new format, beautifully sprited and with a lot of extra content.

The huge world that the game presents is breathtaking. Two regions, Joho and Kanto are presented with gorgeous graphics and interactivity, making a Trainer's travels far more interesting. In this updated version, full colour makes the game more pleasing to look at than the flat, two dimensional world offered in the earlier games, as technology has advanced, Game Freak and Nintendo have become able to give us a spectacular return to possibly the best region in the franchise.

Over 400 Pokémon are now on offer in this edition, giving hours upon hours of trading, catching and battling possibilities. After the player has received the National Pokédex, more Pokémon become available to them, from Hoenn, Sinnoh, and the original Kanto. Now, like in Pokémon Yellow where Pikachu follows you around, you can now have your lead Pokémon follow you on your travels, and you can turn and interact with it, receviving responses in the long grass like "_______ is noticing the scent of the grass." and "________ was surprised by the noises in the thicket!" and many more depending on where you currently find yourself.

There are now many more minigames on offer in Pokémon Soul Silver, with the Pokéathlon and many in game contests. These extra features give the game a versatilty not yet offered in past editions.

The Pokéwalker also adds a huge bonus feature: training a pokémon as you walk around, away from your DS. Whether you are in school, at work, or out on a break, you can train a Pokémon.

There are two main problems with this game.
Firstly, a problem in all the games: HMs. Moves that cannot be deleted, but are integral to progressing through the game. I am sure that I am not alone when I say it would be better to be able to delete them at will, without having to visit the deleter.
Secondly: Every now and again, when you walk towards the edge of a building, a small collection of pixels appears at the very edge of the screen, usually the same colour as the floor. This is a simple problem that could have been fixed before the game hit the shelves, retailing at Ł35 - Ł40 pounds or $40 in the US. For that sum of money, graphics bugs are expected to be fixed.

I recommend that you buy the game rather than getting it on an R4 device, as the R4 editions do not come with the Pokéwalker, a phenomenal device that you are cheating yourself out of, and getting a copy in English that doesn't have the screen freeze at every point possible (usually when going into wild encounters) or black screen when you enter or leave the building (no graphics come on, but the music changes).

This game is a must have for all those who have enjoyed past Games.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 09/07/10 at 16:25
Regular
The newest remake of the expansive Pokémon franchise brought a much loved game to a new generation. I myself was 8 when Pokémon Silver was first released, so, 8 years on, it is good to see a personal favourite from my gaming past brought to life in a new format, beautifully sprited and with a lot of extra content.

The huge world that the game presents is breathtaking. Two regions, Joho and Kanto are presented with gorgeous graphics and interactivity, making a Trainer's travels far more interesting. In this updated version, full colour makes the game more pleasing to look at than the flat, two dimensional world offered in the earlier games, as technology has advanced, Game Freak and Nintendo have become able to give us a spectacular return to possibly the best region in the franchise.

Over 400 Pokémon are now on offer in this edition, giving hours upon hours of trading, catching and battling possibilities. After the player has received the National Pokédex, more Pokémon become available to them, from Hoenn, Sinnoh, and the original Kanto. Now, like in Pokémon Yellow where Pikachu follows you around, you can now have your lead Pokémon follow you on your travels, and you can turn and interact with it, receviving responses in the long grass like "_______ is noticing the scent of the grass." and "________ was surprised by the noises in the thicket!" and many more depending on where you currently find yourself.

There are now many more minigames on offer in Pokémon Soul Silver, with the Pokéathlon and many in game contests. These extra features give the game a versatilty not yet offered in past editions.

The Pokéwalker also adds a huge bonus feature: training a pokémon as you walk around, away from your DS. Whether you are in school, at work, or out on a break, you can train a Pokémon.

There are two main problems with this game.
Firstly, a problem in all the games: HMs. Moves that cannot be deleted, but are integral to progressing through the game. I am sure that I am not alone when I say it would be better to be able to delete them at will, without having to visit the deleter.
Secondly: Every now and again, when you walk towards the edge of a building, a small collection of pixels appears at the very edge of the screen, usually the same colour as the floor. This is a simple problem that could have been fixed before the game hit the shelves, retailing at Ł35 - Ł40 pounds or $40 in the US. For that sum of money, graphics bugs are expected to be fixed.

I recommend that you buy the game rather than getting it on an R4 device, as the R4 editions do not come with the Pokéwalker, a phenomenal device that you are cheating yourself out of, and getting a copy in English that doesn't have the screen freeze at every point possible (usually when going into wild encounters) or black screen when you enter or leave the building (no graphics come on, but the music changes).

This game is a must have for all those who have enjoyed past Games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.