GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Being invincible? Yes please!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/11/01 at 13:38
Regular
Cheats.... we all know what they do, what they are and why some people use them. They make us better at games we play. In one word, they make us invincible. Now of course, I don't mean this literally, but cheats are something that many disapprove of as they can ruin the games we play. However, when is cheating right? When can we get away with having that unlimited ammo cheat switched on? In my view the answer would be never. Personally I don't see the point in cheats, I never have. Let me explain why.

Cheats come in many forms.... proper cheats, glitches, and those cheats that give us a slight advantage over the game. However, there are also those "special" ones, which we have to pay for. Not cheats in the sense of the word, but these things are called cheat cartridges or cheat disks. Available on every platform around they enable us to be the best at our games. Be the best, do the best, beat the best. They give you many options, invincibility, invisibility, unlimited "place word here", level skips and many, many more things. Why do people feel the need to cheat like this though? They pay for a game and then they go and spend even more money to make them believe they are good at the game.

The worst case of this was a cheat cartridge that came out right near the beginning of the N64s life. It was called the Game killer. Its principle was simple, its effects devastating on the game. It did what the name suggested, it killed your game. Plug in Mario 64 and the option to get all 120 stars was yours. Lylat Wars, all gold medals...but I have to ask WHY? Why spend your money on a game only to use a device that completed the game for you? Is it challenging? Is it fun? No to both questions. Why bother?

Games are designed for us to play. We buy them to have fun and to get a challenge out of it. No one expects a game that completes itself for you do they? This type of cheating kills the concept of gaming and they make it little more than the pressing of a button. This brings me onto the next type of cheat. Codes.

Games come inbuilt with cheats, although many require lengthy presses of the pad or keyboard. Are these cheats wrong as well? I mean the developers put them there. Again, in my view they are wrong as well. You buy a game, do the first few levels and then have a wander down to your local Newspaper shop...what’s this? A magazine with cheats for "ultra good game 3"! You buy the magazine. You rush home and immediately type in the cheats. Before you know it you've seen every single level, had all the guns and saved the day. Was it worth it? Honestly? These cheats are strange ones. In one hand they are worthless (the one when you haven't completed the game) but on the other they are wonderful.

Wonderful? Whatever could I mean? How can a cheat be wonderful? What I mean by this is that they can enhance the game for you once you have completed it. Some games have secret levels, so secret that even completing the game cannot unlock them. The only way to do it is to type a cheat in. This is what I like to call a good cheat. Its a cheat that gives you an extra to a game, it won't ruin the game, it won't finish the game for you...its a good idea. The same goes for extra characters in games, although I feel that these should only ever be unlocked once you have completed the game, or got to a certain part.

We now come to the cheats that are referred to as glitches. A glitch is not a cheat as such, but it can be used to the same effect. It is a mistake by the games developers that has been missed by the games testers and the player can use it to their advantage. An example is a place in the game where you can stand and shoot all of your enemies without being hit. Another example would be a way of getting money over and over again so you can have as much as you want, when you want it. Are these cheats right? Should we use the developer’s mistake to our advantage? My personal opinion is that I don't know. Its not your fault they left something in the game is it? But the defining key issue is, will you feel good after using it?

I tend to feel guilty.... almost as if I have cheated the game itself. Am I stupid? I don't know, but these glitches are "cheats" that it is down to the player themselves to decide whether or not they will use them.

Leaving the subject of glitches I come onto cheating while playing online. This has to be one of the worst things an online gamer can do. Cheating to be the best, but the people who do this actually enjoy it. They enjoy making themselves appear to be the best at their game of choice, whether it be a strategy game where they can have as much money as they wish, or a FPS where they can have unlimited grenades. If there is a cheat, they will find it, they WILL use it mark my word. Some people just don't understand the idea of playing online, they don't understand that it is a great way to prove yourself to be the best, but more importantly to be the best by your skill alone and not a cheat which gives you a great advantage.

So far, all I have written about is how bad cheats are and how I disapprove of them. Well as I come to an end I want to speak about the type of cheat I agree with 100%. Unfortunately these cheats I have only seen in 2 games, these games are Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64. They are unlockable cheats, but not by getting to a certain point or anything like that. They actually test your skill; they make you work hard to complete a level in a certain time to unlock them. Unlocking them all is a huge test of skill which many people have trouble doing, myself included. It was only recently that I began to be able to do the Goldeneye time cheats with ease. They reward you for your troubles, but the reward is great, but not so much to ruin the game.

You may use the cheats in game. You may use some of the cheats in multiplayer, to make it a bit more interesting, but the key point is, you can't use them to complete levels you haven't done yet. This is what makes them so appealing in my eyes. You work hard to get them, but the game doesn't give into you, it makes you continue to work harder and harder until you realise that your not going to complete it unless you don't cheat and get good enough to beat the level.

So, after reading what I have just said, what are your thoughts on cheating? Are they right or wrong? Do you feel right using them? Or do you feel that guilt burning away inside of you when you know that your not really as good as the game thinks you are?

Thanks for reading.
MJ
Sat 10/11/01 at 13:38
Regular
Cheats.... we all know what they do, what they are and why some people use them. They make us better at games we play. In one word, they make us invincible. Now of course, I don't mean this literally, but cheats are something that many disapprove of as they can ruin the games we play. However, when is cheating right? When can we get away with having that unlimited ammo cheat switched on? In my view the answer would be never. Personally I don't see the point in cheats, I never have. Let me explain why.

Cheats come in many forms.... proper cheats, glitches, and those cheats that give us a slight advantage over the game. However, there are also those "special" ones, which we have to pay for. Not cheats in the sense of the word, but these things are called cheat cartridges or cheat disks. Available on every platform around they enable us to be the best at our games. Be the best, do the best, beat the best. They give you many options, invincibility, invisibility, unlimited "place word here", level skips and many, many more things. Why do people feel the need to cheat like this though? They pay for a game and then they go and spend even more money to make them believe they are good at the game.

The worst case of this was a cheat cartridge that came out right near the beginning of the N64s life. It was called the Game killer. Its principle was simple, its effects devastating on the game. It did what the name suggested, it killed your game. Plug in Mario 64 and the option to get all 120 stars was yours. Lylat Wars, all gold medals...but I have to ask WHY? Why spend your money on a game only to use a device that completed the game for you? Is it challenging? Is it fun? No to both questions. Why bother?

Games are designed for us to play. We buy them to have fun and to get a challenge out of it. No one expects a game that completes itself for you do they? This type of cheating kills the concept of gaming and they make it little more than the pressing of a button. This brings me onto the next type of cheat. Codes.

Games come inbuilt with cheats, although many require lengthy presses of the pad or keyboard. Are these cheats wrong as well? I mean the developers put them there. Again, in my view they are wrong as well. You buy a game, do the first few levels and then have a wander down to your local Newspaper shop...what’s this? A magazine with cheats for "ultra good game 3"! You buy the magazine. You rush home and immediately type in the cheats. Before you know it you've seen every single level, had all the guns and saved the day. Was it worth it? Honestly? These cheats are strange ones. In one hand they are worthless (the one when you haven't completed the game) but on the other they are wonderful.

Wonderful? Whatever could I mean? How can a cheat be wonderful? What I mean by this is that they can enhance the game for you once you have completed it. Some games have secret levels, so secret that even completing the game cannot unlock them. The only way to do it is to type a cheat in. This is what I like to call a good cheat. Its a cheat that gives you an extra to a game, it won't ruin the game, it won't finish the game for you...its a good idea. The same goes for extra characters in games, although I feel that these should only ever be unlocked once you have completed the game, or got to a certain part.

We now come to the cheats that are referred to as glitches. A glitch is not a cheat as such, but it can be used to the same effect. It is a mistake by the games developers that has been missed by the games testers and the player can use it to their advantage. An example is a place in the game where you can stand and shoot all of your enemies without being hit. Another example would be a way of getting money over and over again so you can have as much as you want, when you want it. Are these cheats right? Should we use the developer’s mistake to our advantage? My personal opinion is that I don't know. Its not your fault they left something in the game is it? But the defining key issue is, will you feel good after using it?

I tend to feel guilty.... almost as if I have cheated the game itself. Am I stupid? I don't know, but these glitches are "cheats" that it is down to the player themselves to decide whether or not they will use them.

Leaving the subject of glitches I come onto cheating while playing online. This has to be one of the worst things an online gamer can do. Cheating to be the best, but the people who do this actually enjoy it. They enjoy making themselves appear to be the best at their game of choice, whether it be a strategy game where they can have as much money as they wish, or a FPS where they can have unlimited grenades. If there is a cheat, they will find it, they WILL use it mark my word. Some people just don't understand the idea of playing online, they don't understand that it is a great way to prove yourself to be the best, but more importantly to be the best by your skill alone and not a cheat which gives you a great advantage.

So far, all I have written about is how bad cheats are and how I disapprove of them. Well as I come to an end I want to speak about the type of cheat I agree with 100%. Unfortunately these cheats I have only seen in 2 games, these games are Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64. They are unlockable cheats, but not by getting to a certain point or anything like that. They actually test your skill; they make you work hard to complete a level in a certain time to unlock them. Unlocking them all is a huge test of skill which many people have trouble doing, myself included. It was only recently that I began to be able to do the Goldeneye time cheats with ease. They reward you for your troubles, but the reward is great, but not so much to ruin the game.

You may use the cheats in game. You may use some of the cheats in multiplayer, to make it a bit more interesting, but the key point is, you can't use them to complete levels you haven't done yet. This is what makes them so appealing in my eyes. You work hard to get them, but the game doesn't give into you, it makes you continue to work harder and harder until you realise that your not going to complete it unless you don't cheat and get good enough to beat the level.

So, after reading what I have just said, what are your thoughts on cheating? Are they right or wrong? Do you feel right using them? Or do you feel that guilt burning away inside of you when you know that your not really as good as the game thinks you are?

Thanks for reading.
MJ
Sat 10/11/01 at 13:48
Regular
I only use cheats to mess about with when i've finished the game i'm playin
Sat 10/11/01 at 13:54
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I will never use cheats...ever!

They are annoying things, only losers use 'em.

Ok, ok - if you used them AFTER you've completed the game, then that's all right, I suppose. But using them when you've only just got the game is truly PATHETIC.

A mate of mine recently purchased GTA3. He got stuck on a mission on the first city. Do you know what he did? He ised a cheat so he could get passed it!

What I'm saying is that if you use a cheat like my loser friend, then you've wasted your money.

SHOCKY
Sat 10/11/01 at 16:03
"period drama"
i always wait til i've finished a game before using cheats.

unless they are just funny (big heads, through walls) cheats, i usually try them.
Sat 10/11/01 at 16:05
Regular
This isn't aimed at you specifically MJ, but everyone who says this:

How can you say "It's wrong to use cheats."?

If someone pays £30 for a game, and wants to use cheats, what's the problem? It's their money, their game, let them use cheats.

Also, it's said that "Using cheats takes the fun out of the game." Which is something I personally disagree with. It is fun when you cheat. A game like Quake, for example, if you put it hardest difficulty and put God mode on, it is fun.

Walking around spraying out rockets all over the place and not dying is fun - in my opinion, anyway.

Games don't have to be challenging to be fun - see a post I wrote about that a week or so ago.

All in all, I feel that if people want to use cheats, let them, it doesn't affect you, so what's the problem? Obviously this isn't true for online games where I feel everyone should have a level playingfield.

But some people have faster pings than others, so the playingfield is a bit wonky from the start. Are these people with cble modems cheats? Afterall, they are using a glitch in the system to have a better chance in the game, which by your definition MJ, is a cheat.

So where does it end?

Is someone who shoots an unarmed person in Goldeneye a cheat? Or is that part of the game?

Where do you draw the line?
Sun 11/11/01 at 14:05
Regular
*cough*

"What do you mean you shouldn't pop your own topics?" MJ says.

"I didnt pop anything!"

"Stop being a muppet MJ" everyone says.
Sun 11/11/01 at 14:09
I like the way you did that without actually answering ANY of the points raised in the other posts.

*Cough, what do you mean "sarcasm"? *cough.
Sun 11/11/01 at 14:15
Regular
Bollards wrote:
> I like the way you did that without actually answering ANY of the points raised
> in the other posts.

*Cough, what do you mean "sarcasm"? *cough.

Wahey, thanks for that. I know who it is now. Its you isn't it YH? In other words I shoudl have popped it by replying :P Damn I am dumb *no comments please*. :-D
Sun 11/11/01 at 14:17
MJswerve wrote:
Wahey, thanks for that. I know who it is now. Its you isn't it YH?
> In other words I shoudl have popped it by replying :P Damn I am dumb *no
> comments please*. :-D

Who's YH?

Why do you think I'm someone else?

I'm me for Gods sake! ME!!! I just haven't been around for a while.
Sun 11/11/01 at 14:22
Regular
Your Honour wrote:

How can
> you say "It's wrong to use cheats."?

If someone pays £30 for
> a game, and wants to use cheats, what's the problem? It's their money, their
> game, let them use cheats.

Hmmm, good point. I suppose if someone spends their money and they want to cheat its up to them. I guess its just my opinion that I would rather have a challenge to complete the game instead of it just being really easy, albeit very fun ;).

Games don't have to be challenging to be fun - see a post I wrote
> about that a week or so ago.

I read that, and you made some very good points in it. Games DON'T have to be challenging, but they should have the priority of being fun. Although honestly, would you rather play a game which is both challenging and fun that lasts a few weeks, or a game which is veyr fun for like an hour, but then loses its appeal?

All in all, I feel that if people want to use
> cheats, let them, it doesn't affect you, so what's the problem? Obviously this
> isn't true for online games where I feel everyone should have a level
> playingfield.

This is a very good point....in fact if you ask Sniper or MNG you will find out that this is the exact reason I made this topic. SOmeone was cheating while me and Sniper were playing Tactical ops *cough* http://www.tactical-ops.net *cough* by having unlimited grenades. However, they weren't using them against the opposite team *which I don't condon* but against me and the rest of the team. They were ruining it for everyone and sadistically having fun doing it.

But some people have faster pings than others, so the
> playingfield is a bit wonky from the start. Are these people with cble modems
> cheats? Afterall, they are using a glitch in the system to have a better chance
> in the game, which by your definition MJ, is a cheat.

Damn you YH.....stop making good point :-D I suppose pings affect the game greatly....in fact I don't suppose, I KNOW. I happen to have a Cable modem and I know my low ping (around 30) gives me a great advantage over 56k users as they tend to get lag. But really, is this a glitch? Or is it just some people want to be the best and have an advantage. But I mentioned this advantage can sometimes be percieved as cheating, so you are right on this point.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.