GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Apart from Ken Kutaragi retiring and this GOTY compo..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/04/07 at 11:56
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Apart from Ken Kutaragi retiring have you all noticed there's absolutely nothing of note happening in the gaming world for the last few months?

It's the gaming doldrums, that rare combination of calm seas and nothing blowing to give gaming momentum. I think this year is especially quiet due to two new consoles being released with not many games and now everyone is frantically trying to polish off games in development so they'll have something to release for the summer.

It's OK for PS3 users who get Oblivion to keep them busy, and it's fine for FFXI fans who've got FFXI to fall back on, and I guess XBox users will be content shooting each other in their shooty games and Nintendo users will carry on collecting stars and bouncing on mushrooms, but in terms of anything new happening it's been a dire quarter of a year. I can't remember it being this quiet in the previous two decades, and now that E3 has been scrapped we haven't even got all the pre-show press hype that used to give us something to drool over during the lenient months.

I note that Ken Kutaragi timed his retirement just before the Forza 2 demo gets released, it may not be a coincidence.

Anyhow, to keep us busy during this lean period, here's a little compo:

Guess what IGN is going to nominate as Overall Game of the Year (GOTY, see?) for 2007.

Personally I'm going to plump for Mass Effect on the XBox 360 because it offers something relatively new (spacey RPG shooter) and looks like it might do it rather well.

It could be ousted from this position by something unheard of getting released this year, but I don't think these days it's possible to have something in development for 5 years without us knowing about it.

Previous IGN Overall Game of the Year Winners were:

2006: Okami (PS2)
2005: God of War (PS2)
2004: Half-Life 2 (PC)

So add your guess. Whoever gets it right can have every poster replying to their topics during 2008 add a little /bow to the end of their replies, and deservedly so. Although I can't make it compulsory.

(Closing date for entries: June 30th 2007)
Sun 29/04/07 at 21:57
Regular
"8==="
E3 was becoming too big and expensive for developers showcasing their games so they decided a smaller, more limited thing, would be better.
Sun 29/04/07 at 21:23
Regular
Ridddddddddge Racer!
Sun 29/04/07 at 20:13
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Geffdof wrote:
> No more E3? How did I not know about this? It made May so
> exciting after seeing loads of new game trailers.

My thoughts exactly. Why did it get cancelled?

Ohhhh maybe it was because of the PS3 show last year :D
Sun 29/04/07 at 20:07
Regular
I say Super Mario Galaxy.
Sun 29/04/07 at 17:57
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
If it lives up to the hype, I cant see anything beyond Spore winning.

I was quite excited by the prospect of Mass Effect but all the recent videos have put me off it as it looks too FPS-ish compared to what was originally promised.
Sat 28/04/07 at 23:08
Regular
"lets go back"
No more E3? How did I not know about this? It made May so exciting after seeing loads of new game trailers.

Assassins Creed looks like it will be good as does GTAVI, but little detail is know of either and probably wont be for months. I might just ignore any gaming news for 6 months than randomly take a look and be pleasantly surprised.
Sat 28/04/07 at 19:55
Regular
"Mooching around"
But then, apart from Nintendo's efforts, the gaming industry is steadily going downhill.

People are less interested in it than they were before, people are moving on from the home console, everyone wants something new.

I know I'm certainly bored with the same old titles with new faces.
Fri 27/04/07 at 20:24
Regular
I've actually worked out this entire time, it's time for another 6-pack thread.
Fri 27/04/07 at 16:47
"possibly impossible"
Does look impressive for a PS2 game, yes, but does it stand out enough from the first one?
Fri 27/04/07 at 16:36
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
God of War 2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.