GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sound Success"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/11/01 at 14:42
Regular
The three new consoles have been compared to death on the terms of the processing and graphics cababilities, but an area which is largely overlooked has been the sound of a system. There could be a few good reasons as to why games players don't look at the sound availability of a system when it comes to looking at which console they want, and in my opinion the most significant one is the fact that until now there has been very little difference in the capabilities of consoles sound processing.

In 1992 the Commodore Amiga 500 was released, and to many people's surprise was overshadowed by the Atari ST in the music world, because the ST had MIDI ports built in. The Amiga however had something that no other home computer, or any system below a few grand had before. Multi channel sample support. In fact the Amiga could play back 4 channels of audio simultaneously, something which wasn't matched or bettered until the release of the Playstation and some high end PC sound cards. The current crop of consoles use exactly the same channel technology as the old Amiga, although there are more of them. The PS2 has 48 channels, and the Gamecube has 64. The Xbox on the other hand has 256 seperate channels.

By now your probably wondering what this means to the gamer, well, I'll explain. When your console plays back the sound of a car moving, it has roughly 5 seperate sounds to recreate the sound to a fairly decent standard. The engine noise, the exhast, the gear box, wind resistence and something else which the company adds. If you have more channels, the more things you can play back, and the more detailed the sound becomes. But the effects which can be applied to these channels is limited, and the technology is beginning to show weaknesses, so another system has to implemented.

The Xbox and Playstation 2 supports the future of home and cinema audio entertainment. It is called Physical Modelling, and it accurately recreates a model of the sound being produced, rather than just playing back a sampled recording. This allows many more parameters such as the RPM etc. of an engine be recreated to a much more impressive level, and when you hear the system being run, you just feel all the more underwhelmed by the current ability of the Playstation, Dreamcast and the upcoming Gamecube.

In terms of the auido quality shown and supported by these systems, the Xbox and Playstation 2 are far in front. Also, the Xbox, with a Dolby Digital decoder supplied by Dolby themselves, will be the true sound system for the audio enthusiast. The future was very much thought of when the Xbox was produced, and although many of you will never have heard of Physical Modelling before, it is sitting in the wings, just waiting to replace the poor, aged sampling techniques introduced by the Amiga.

*This was posted in the Xbox forum yesterday, but due to a lack of response, I deceided to copy it to here.*
Fri 09/11/01 at 16:17
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Resevilfan wrote:
>If you plug the PS2 up to 5:1 I bet it kicks *** :-)

I plug all my consoles through my PC - it has a sound blaster live platinum 5.1 and is outputted into the AUX ports on the back of my HI-FI (and as you so rightly said...the sound kicks ass...even the N64 is great.
Even the SNES is stunning!)
:D
Fri 09/11/01 at 15:43
Regular
"Back For Good"
Alot of people do overlook the sound but i'm different :-)

The Playstation was way ahead of it's time in this department, plently of sond channels, CD soundtracks etc where as the N64 had not bad but quite unclear sound effects.If you plug the PS2 up to 5:1 I bet it kicks *** :-)
Fri 09/11/01 at 15:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Groovy. The sound quality of a game and generally the SFX are very important factors to my decision, because I have an absolutely MASSIVE amp+speaker system (seperates) and they're crystal clear. Playing and forum of sound through these tinny PC speakers just makes me cringe!
Fri 09/11/01 at 14:42
Regular
The three new consoles have been compared to death on the terms of the processing and graphics cababilities, but an area which is largely overlooked has been the sound of a system. There could be a few good reasons as to why games players don't look at the sound availability of a system when it comes to looking at which console they want, and in my opinion the most significant one is the fact that until now there has been very little difference in the capabilities of consoles sound processing.

In 1992 the Commodore Amiga 500 was released, and to many people's surprise was overshadowed by the Atari ST in the music world, because the ST had MIDI ports built in. The Amiga however had something that no other home computer, or any system below a few grand had before. Multi channel sample support. In fact the Amiga could play back 4 channels of audio simultaneously, something which wasn't matched or bettered until the release of the Playstation and some high end PC sound cards. The current crop of consoles use exactly the same channel technology as the old Amiga, although there are more of them. The PS2 has 48 channels, and the Gamecube has 64. The Xbox on the other hand has 256 seperate channels.

By now your probably wondering what this means to the gamer, well, I'll explain. When your console plays back the sound of a car moving, it has roughly 5 seperate sounds to recreate the sound to a fairly decent standard. The engine noise, the exhast, the gear box, wind resistence and something else which the company adds. If you have more channels, the more things you can play back, and the more detailed the sound becomes. But the effects which can be applied to these channels is limited, and the technology is beginning to show weaknesses, so another system has to implemented.

The Xbox and Playstation 2 supports the future of home and cinema audio entertainment. It is called Physical Modelling, and it accurately recreates a model of the sound being produced, rather than just playing back a sampled recording. This allows many more parameters such as the RPM etc. of an engine be recreated to a much more impressive level, and when you hear the system being run, you just feel all the more underwhelmed by the current ability of the Playstation, Dreamcast and the upcoming Gamecube.

In terms of the auido quality shown and supported by these systems, the Xbox and Playstation 2 are far in front. Also, the Xbox, with a Dolby Digital decoder supplied by Dolby themselves, will be the true sound system for the audio enthusiast. The future was very much thought of when the Xbox was produced, and although many of you will never have heard of Physical Modelling before, it is sitting in the wings, just waiting to replace the poor, aged sampling techniques introduced by the Amiga.

*This was posted in the Xbox forum yesterday, but due to a lack of response, I deceided to copy it to here.*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.