GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fussy neighbours"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/04/07 at 14:27
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I can't remember if I posted the argument which was in the local newsletter on here, but this one is sort of similar, though I thought it best to put it in a new topic.

Bare with me, this is going to be a long post...

Please find enclosed an overhead view of my house. The red car you can see on our drive belongs to my brother.

Now then, you will see thatmy house is situated at the very end of a small junction which leads down to four other houses. This junction has the same name as the road which my house is on, because it's like a little housing estate where they don't bother naming little roads like that and they just adopt the name of the one they join.

Anyway, the people who live in the house of the corner of that junction, whose house is visible in that picture, have erected a legitimate-looking sign in their garden which clearly states "Private Drive: No Turning".

This morning, my brother had taken his usual lazy approach to parking the van on our drive forwards, rather than reversing in. This makes it much harder for me in the mornings to get out of our drive. I have to reverse out of our drive onto the road, and the van has no rear-iew mirror, only wing mirrors.

So I reverse out of my drive, and I take the easiest option which is to reverse about 5 ft up the "private" drive, just to give me enough room to swing round and be on my way.

Upon doing so, the lady of the house comes outand tells me that it's really annoying for her and her family that people keep turning around in front of their window. She also tells me that people shouldn't do it because it's a private drive, and that it's not much harder to swing the van round, in reverse, to a perpendicular angle to how it started, so that I would just accelerate forward to go.

Okay, that's her side of the argument, that her family don't want people reversing and truning round in front of their house when there's a perfectly good turning circle at the end of my road.

Now for my side of the argument:
First of all, that sign is not legal, nor is it official. Secondly, the end of that drive is not their property, nor is it private. It is a public road leading to four houses which is owned by the council and has small spaces on its side for turning around in, not for parking. You might just be able to make out one of the turning spaces i nthat pic, just where the shadow of the bungalow to the right starts.

If that drive is private, then so is the one at the bottom of the hill which isn't signposted. You can't see it in that pic. Also, she's right to suggest that I should turn round in the turning circle at the bottom of the hill, but in a van, that is very hard. The van is obviously longer than a car, with no rear windows and no rear-view mirror. Also, that turning circle is very rarely empty, especially at about 9am which is when I was leaving. Nearly always, that turning circle is jam packed full of illegally parked cars (it is not legal to park in a turning circle), and it is almost impossible to turn the van round in it. It's far easier to use the junction opposite my house. Of course, I could also use the other one near the bottom of the hill, but that is a bit more of an inconvenience, though I'll do it if she persists, because I don't have a problem with it.

As well as this, you can obviously see from that photo that vehicles which turn around using that junction obscure our window too, as well as theirs. We've never complained. Also, I don't know if its visible in that pic, but she drives a light blue Volkswagen Bug, which she parks on their purposely-built driveway on their front lawn. When she reverses out of the driveway onto the private drive (moving to the right in that pic), she doesn't reverse so that she is facing our house (facing down in that pic), so that she can just drive forward to go. No, instead she reverses out, facing away from our house (up in that pic), then reverses round the corner in front of our house so that she is facing up the hill (facing right in the pic), then she will accelerate away. Personally, I cannot see how that manoeuvre is easier than what I just suggested. It also means that she has to reverse in front of our window to do so.

So I want your views on this. Who's in the right? Who's in the wrong? Who do you agree with? What are your thoughts?
Fri 27/04/07 at 21:50
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Well he said it himself - he nodded like sage. :p
Fri 27/04/07 at 20:33
Regular
Lol, you utter herb.
Thu 26/04/07 at 21:28
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Cong Man wrote:
> The Indian Mallard speaks wise words.
*Nods sagely* Indeed.
Thu 26/04/07 at 20:15
Regular
"..."
The Indian Mallard speaks wise words.
Thu 26/04/07 at 20:08
Regular
It's such a ridiculously tiny thing - 'people driving on the road near my house'. Clearly she is highly strung and retarded. I imagine she's talked herself into getting worked up about it, where a normal person would shrug it off.

She's clearly in the wrong here, but if you're inclined to point that out to her and ignore her requests, I'd suggest that you're facing an interesting choice:

You can be 'right'
Or you can have a good relationship with your neighbour.

However, that doesn't mean you have to cave. If she's worked herself up into a fuss, she may *think* she wants people to stop reversing in her drive, but in practice, she'll probably be happy to be acknowledged, respected and feel that the people aren't doing so with a blatant disregard for her views.

If you were to talk to her about this, I would suggest it go something like this:

Twain - "Ah, yes, I appreciate that you mustn't like that happening. (Sincerely. Understand her point of view).

"It's a difficult situation because the van isn't very maneuvourable, and my lay brother always parks it so I have to reverse out of the drive.

"Would you be happy to compromise - I'll do my best not to go any further than I have to, and hopefully not intrude too far on your view. You could let me know how if you're happy how things are going."

She feels acknowledged, and that you're not completely disregarding her feelings. You get to keep reversing lazily, but make more of an effort on your part.
And you get to make friends with your neighbour.

Joy and hippiness.

Worst comes to worst: "Of course, I could also use the other one near the bottom of the hill, but that is a bit more of an inconvenience, though I'll do it if she persists, because I don't have a problem with it."
- There's your answer.
Thu 26/04/07 at 18:09
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Smedlos wrote:
> In my friends case there is a tarmac road leading up to her
> neighbours driveway that leads to her house. The driveway is of
> course her neighbours but the road is not, however her neighbour
> seems to think it is.

This road is also tarmac, and actually, her official driveway is round the back of her house, further down the road which my house is on.
Thu 26/04/07 at 15:13
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
At the end of our driveway is a sort of a big path at the side.
We don't own all fo it, just a bit at the end, where my dad put down a curb, himself.
Now, some smart chaps in a lorry thought it would be smart to turn up all the grass and break/crack the curb.
Great.
Thu 26/04/07 at 15:10
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
This is very similar to a friend of mine who has a problem with one of her neighbours who says that my friend and others on the cul - de -sac are using her "driveway" to park on and turn round in.

Twain wrote:

> Now then, you will see that my house is situated at the very end
> of a small junction which leads down to four other houses. This
> junction has the same name as the road which my house is on,
> because it's like a little housing estate where they don't
> bother naming little roads like that and they just adopt the
> name of the one they join.

In my friends case there is a tarmac road leading up to her neighbours driveway that leads to her house. The driveway is of course her neighbours but the road is not, however her neighbour seems to think it is.

> Anyway, the people who live in the house of the corner of that
> junction, whose house is visible in that picture, have erected a
> legitimate-looking sign in their garden which clearly states
> "Private Drive: No Turning".

Same as in my friends case which is where the problem occurs.

> So I reverse out of my drive, and I take the easiest option
> which is to reverse about 5 ft up the "private" drive,
> just to give me enough room to swing round and be on my way.
>
> Upon doing so, the lady of the house comes outand tells me that
> it's really annoying for her and her family that people keep
> turning around in front of their window. She also tells me that
> people shouldn't do it because it's a private drive, and that
> it's not much harder to swing the van round, in reverse, to a
> perpendicular angle to how it started, so that I would just
> accelerate forward to go.

My friends dispute came when people who were visiting her and her other neighbours parked on the "private" road instead of clogging up the cul - de - sac which this particular neighbour didn't like.

After a while she sent solicitors letters to all the neighbours saying if they parked on "her" drive again she would sue them for trespass. Cue the neighbours getting together and clarifying that it was a public road and since then parking even more on her "driveway" just to p*ss her off for being such a moron.

And I'm right behind them.

> So I want your views on this. Who's in the right? Who's in the
> wrong? Who do you agree with? What are your thoughts?

I'd carry on doing what you're doing as you're in the right. If she's sad enough to lay in wait looking for people turning in this road let her she's not got much of a life.
Thu 26/04/07 at 14:27
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I can't remember if I posted the argument which was in the local newsletter on here, but this one is sort of similar, though I thought it best to put it in a new topic.

Bare with me, this is going to be a long post...

Please find enclosed an overhead view of my house. The red car you can see on our drive belongs to my brother.

Now then, you will see thatmy house is situated at the very end of a small junction which leads down to four other houses. This junction has the same name as the road which my house is on, because it's like a little housing estate where they don't bother naming little roads like that and they just adopt the name of the one they join.

Anyway, the people who live in the house of the corner of that junction, whose house is visible in that picture, have erected a legitimate-looking sign in their garden which clearly states "Private Drive: No Turning".

This morning, my brother had taken his usual lazy approach to parking the van on our drive forwards, rather than reversing in. This makes it much harder for me in the mornings to get out of our drive. I have to reverse out of our drive onto the road, and the van has no rear-iew mirror, only wing mirrors.

So I reverse out of my drive, and I take the easiest option which is to reverse about 5 ft up the "private" drive, just to give me enough room to swing round and be on my way.

Upon doing so, the lady of the house comes outand tells me that it's really annoying for her and her family that people keep turning around in front of their window. She also tells me that people shouldn't do it because it's a private drive, and that it's not much harder to swing the van round, in reverse, to a perpendicular angle to how it started, so that I would just accelerate forward to go.

Okay, that's her side of the argument, that her family don't want people reversing and truning round in front of their house when there's a perfectly good turning circle at the end of my road.

Now for my side of the argument:
First of all, that sign is not legal, nor is it official. Secondly, the end of that drive is not their property, nor is it private. It is a public road leading to four houses which is owned by the council and has small spaces on its side for turning around in, not for parking. You might just be able to make out one of the turning spaces i nthat pic, just where the shadow of the bungalow to the right starts.

If that drive is private, then so is the one at the bottom of the hill which isn't signposted. You can't see it in that pic. Also, she's right to suggest that I should turn round in the turning circle at the bottom of the hill, but in a van, that is very hard. The van is obviously longer than a car, with no rear windows and no rear-view mirror. Also, that turning circle is very rarely empty, especially at about 9am which is when I was leaving. Nearly always, that turning circle is jam packed full of illegally parked cars (it is not legal to park in a turning circle), and it is almost impossible to turn the van round in it. It's far easier to use the junction opposite my house. Of course, I could also use the other one near the bottom of the hill, but that is a bit more of an inconvenience, though I'll do it if she persists, because I don't have a problem with it.

As well as this, you can obviously see from that photo that vehicles which turn around using that junction obscure our window too, as well as theirs. We've never complained. Also, I don't know if its visible in that pic, but she drives a light blue Volkswagen Bug, which she parks on their purposely-built driveway on their front lawn. When she reverses out of the driveway onto the private drive (moving to the right in that pic), she doesn't reverse so that she is facing our house (facing down in that pic), so that she can just drive forward to go. No, instead she reverses out, facing away from our house (up in that pic), then reverses round the corner in front of our house so that she is facing up the hill (facing right in the pic), then she will accelerate away. Personally, I cannot see how that manoeuvre is easier than what I just suggested. It also means that she has to reverse in front of our window to do so.

So I want your views on this. Who's in the right? Who's in the wrong? Who do you agree with? What are your thoughts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.