GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Networking help please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/04/07 at 20:58
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Wireless router has been playing up for the last 2-3 days, randomly disconnecting. It's always done that, but recently it's been frequent rather than occasional. My brother is constantly shouting about it and blaming me, or trying to form some sort of incorrect theory. It tends to happen to him more than me, but it has been happening an annoying amount of times the last few days, possibly 10 times in the last 2 hours.

No settings have changed on the router since it was originally setup about 2 years ago.

Thoughts?
Sun 06/05/07 at 11:51
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Well last night my bro asked me how to access the router so that he could have a look. I was already in bed at the time.

This morning I couldn't connect, but later found out what he did, so I adjusted my settings accordingly so that I could get on.

Basically, I was trying to connect using our old settings, which included a WEP key.

What he's done is reset the router to its factory defaults. There is no WEP key, no password to change its settings, an easy-to-work-out IP address for any hackers nearby, no password to stop them changing the settings, and no list of allowed MAC addresses. I set up that list so that even if you worked out our WEP key, you still couldn't gewt on without being on the list.

So yeah, anyone want my personal details?

I'm not happy. I like the fact that it's all working now, so far (will have to see if it goes off again in a minute), and I don't feel defeated because I know he actually hasn't got a clue. He only understood the words "Restore to factory defaults", not the rest of it. We simply must have security. He was always on about everyone in the nearby houses hacking onto our network and causing trouble, despite the fact that I doubt they knew how either, but the fact is, they couldn't, and now, they can, with no effort at all.

We've already had someone on the main road behind the house using our network.

Thoughts now? I want privacy and security.
Fri 04/05/07 at 14:58
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I already know that the problem is not with the line. The computer I'm on now is my mums, which connects directly to our DSL router and only uses the wireless to transfer files or print jobs between computers on our network. Mum internet works fine.
Thu 03/05/07 at 10:34
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Find someone with an ADSL wireless router that is working and ask if you can borrow it. Only change the ADSL login details on the borrowed router and see how it goes. Ignore your brother as he is just annoyed (weird how broadband becomes a matter of life or death when it doesn't work!?).
Hopefully the borrowed router will work fine. If not then you know that it was working and you have not changed any settings apart from the username and password so it must either be line problems or environmental factors causing the problem.
Wed 02/05/07 at 18:38
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Well it's come to the point where we're all sick of it, and my brother wants me to fix it or replace it. However, he doesn't want me to change or touch it because it's apparently all my fault it's like this in the first place. Apparently, according to him, it's set up wrong, though he can't explain how. I'll suggest that he fixes it, because he has banished me from ever going near it, upon which he responds: "You caused the problem, so you fix it." Even though I'm now not allowed to touch or change it.

Any suggestions on what to do now?!
Sun 29/04/07 at 22:50
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. My brother seems to think the same as I do in that I can't accept that the equipment is knackered, but he'll do anything to make it my fault. Nothing I have done should cause any problems. Which is why I'm starting too to think thatt he router is fudged. Naturally, we bought it from Special Reserve, and ironically, for such a "bad piece of sh--" as he puts it, I have to keep reminding him that he was the one who sold it to us, as manager of the Norwich store.

I think I'll try restting it to the factory defaults, except enabling WEP of course, and if that doesn't sort it, get a new one.
Sun 29/04/07 at 21:08
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
If it isn't from interfering signals, then my only other thought is that is knackered and needs replacing. I could be wrong though, but I don't know of any other reason for the play-up.
Sat 28/04/07 at 20:13
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Any help please. The problem is still occuring. Also now, it is randomly disconnecting every few hours, but sometiems it has spasms of connecting for about 3 seconds, disconnecting for a second, connecting for 3 seconds, disconnecting for a second ...

And when it's not doing that, it's alternating between speeds of 5.5Mbps, 11Mbps and 18Mbps, when it should be running at 125Mbps, or at least 48Mbps.

Thoughts now?
Fri 27/04/07 at 14:12
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Okay, here's what I've done:
- Updated the firmware for the wireless router to the latest release, which apparently stops random resetting of the router in noisy environments (see here). Updating did not reset the settings to factory defaults as it says on the site.
- Changed channel from 13 to 9, so as to include my mum's computer on the network which isn't compatible with channels 12 or 13.

Now, every device can see each other on the network and we can exchange files across the LAN with no problems. But we simply cannot access the Internet, even though I can access the ADSL modem via its IP address. Also, no computers are able to access the wireless router via its IP address.

It was fine this morning when I first did this, but my brother turned on his laptop and an IP clash occured (I think - he didn't actually let me see). Now, we can't access the web, nor can we access the wireless router, but we can still exchange files via the wireless router across the LAN.

Thoughts?

Edit: Odd. Maybe an old IP lease has just expired or something. All of a sudden it now works.
Thu 26/04/07 at 22:35
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Eccles wrote:
> If your router has the option to change the transmit power then
> try increasing it.

Is this the Tx Rate? I have that set on Auto.
Wed 25/04/07 at 23:34
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
If your router has the option to change the transmit power then try increasing it. This will help override other wireless signal in range if that is what is causing the problem (could be a bit evil and cause the neighbours problems though!).
If your router is actually resetting itself then it's unlikely that wireles interference is causing this. The first thing to try would be to reset the router to factory settings and then try checking on the manufacturers website for a firmware update.
Of course there is always the chance that the router has just developed a harware fault. Perhaps you could borrw a different wireless router and see if that does the same thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.