GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"De-Icing with Death2: There's Snow Going Back!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/11/01 at 14:27
Regular
Platform games of yesterday and todays 3D adventures have many similarities, perhaps the most obvious is the trend to have 'themed levels'. Some levels are sure to be seen in every game of this type, there's often a woodland or jungle level (something with trees), a desert level (sometimes a dessert level too), a lava or fire level, an awful water level, an 'industrial' level and always, always, always an ice level.

In games of old the differnet levels often were no more than differnt backgrounds, be it trees or dirty oil cans you were walking past. Maybe the enemies would look slightly different, but they'd be based on the same models from the first level. Only the ice level was different.

For on ice you may slip.

I remember trying to stand Wonderboy on the edge of a ledge, trying to size up a jump, only he didn't stop when I let go of the pad, he slip right into the pit.

Woah! I remember thinking! He can slide!

The thing is sliding was never fun, it was just frustrating. The same enemies would still come for you, only you wouldn't stop where you wanted to be able to hit them, you'd slide forward, then try to turn back, and slide back too far! It was just plain stupid!

Todays ice levels are a little better. The fact that it is icy DOES seem to make a difference, and puzzles can me ice themed, like having to melt something. Also, with todays analogue pads you can walk at varios speeds and the like, so you can allow for the coditions. Wonderboy could travel at 2 speeds, he'd go faster with the button held on, Zelda (and the like) can move at many, many speeds, from a tip toe, to a jog. If you jog on the ice, you may well slide a bit if you attempt to come to a sudden stop, as you'd expect. It's that much more responsive, that we can adjust the way we play to deal with the ice.

These days ice levels aren't so bad, are they? Especially considering they usually have to be thawed, so you get rid of all of the ice anyway.
Wed 07/11/01 at 14:27
Regular
"not dead"
Platform games of yesterday and todays 3D adventures have many similarities, perhaps the most obvious is the trend to have 'themed levels'. Some levels are sure to be seen in every game of this type, there's often a woodland or jungle level (something with trees), a desert level (sometimes a dessert level too), a lava or fire level, an awful water level, an 'industrial' level and always, always, always an ice level.

In games of old the differnet levels often were no more than differnt backgrounds, be it trees or dirty oil cans you were walking past. Maybe the enemies would look slightly different, but they'd be based on the same models from the first level. Only the ice level was different.

For on ice you may slip.

I remember trying to stand Wonderboy on the edge of a ledge, trying to size up a jump, only he didn't stop when I let go of the pad, he slip right into the pit.

Woah! I remember thinking! He can slide!

The thing is sliding was never fun, it was just frustrating. The same enemies would still come for you, only you wouldn't stop where you wanted to be able to hit them, you'd slide forward, then try to turn back, and slide back too far! It was just plain stupid!

Todays ice levels are a little better. The fact that it is icy DOES seem to make a difference, and puzzles can me ice themed, like having to melt something. Also, with todays analogue pads you can walk at varios speeds and the like, so you can allow for the coditions. Wonderboy could travel at 2 speeds, he'd go faster with the button held on, Zelda (and the like) can move at many, many speeds, from a tip toe, to a jog. If you jog on the ice, you may well slide a bit if you attempt to come to a sudden stop, as you'd expect. It's that much more responsive, that we can adjust the way we play to deal with the ice.

These days ice levels aren't so bad, are they? Especially considering they usually have to be thawed, so you get rid of all of the ice anyway.
Wed 07/11/01 at 14:37
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Shut up, Meka.
Wed 07/11/01 at 14:48
Regular
"not dead"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> Shut up, Meka.

:-(
Wed 07/11/01 at 14:48
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I thought I told you to shut it.
Wed 07/11/01 at 14:56
Regular
"not dead"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> I thought I told you to shut it.

Yarbells.

Big yar-blocko's to you Mr.
Wed 07/11/01 at 14:59
Regular
I'm going to post a message just so I see the little red number in the corner go up.

I'm sad, me.
Wed 07/11/01 at 14:59
Regular
Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!

It stayed the same!

What's going on!?
Wed 07/11/01 at 17:29
Isn't it something to do with users that now tiny red number. Wow, it's usually over a thousand. I feel priveliged to be in the select few on the new server. That other server is still on you know, I was whisked there by strange and irritating magicks. If you end up there you should clear your files and go to gameaday.co.uk and use the link in the first winner of the extra gameaday prize. Then you can go back through UKchatforums to the proper forums since the link in the extra gameaday uses that tiny window. Anyway, I made it back so that's good news.
Wed 07/11/01 at 17:34
Regular
"Digging!"
i like the DK ice level and the zelda one. they are great and i like the way you skid on the ice.
Wed 07/11/01 at 17:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Damn Dirty Ice

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.