GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 development almost stopped....."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/08/00 at 16:27
Regular
"Japanese developoers (Namco, Capcom, Square etc.) have almost stopped development on PS2 at the moment and many companies are being forced into considering other platforms as the Japanese population refuse to buy new games.

90% of the people who own a PS2 now use it soly as a DVD player.....

This could be very bad for us in the UK. Many games will not reach these shores and as the Dreamcast is picking up phenomenly in the UK with stunning new releases the PS2 may already have failed."

Surely this can`t be good - can it???
Especially since a DC, DVD player, PS emulator six games AND a vmu and extra controller will all cost less than a PS2 with one game (based on Toys Rus prices for all items)
Mon 14/08/00 at 16:27
"Japanese developoers (Namco, Capcom, Square etc.) have almost stopped development on PS2 at the moment and many companies are being forced into considering other platforms as the Japanese population refuse to buy new games.

90% of the people who own a PS2 now use it soly as a DVD player.....

This could be very bad for us in the UK. Many games will not reach these shores and as the Dreamcast is picking up phenomenly in the UK with stunning new releases the PS2 may already have failed."

Surely this can`t be good - can it???
Especially since a DC, DVD player, PS emulator six games AND a vmu and extra controller will all cost less than a PS2 with one game (based on Toys Rus prices for all items)
Tue 15/08/00 at 03:02
What on earth are you talking about. Where did you hear about Namco, Capcom, and Square to stop development on Playstation 2. Final Fantasy X and XI are coming out for the PS2 within the next 2 years, while Namco will be obviously be working on Tekken 4, and Street Fighter III should come out for the console.
And i don't know why 90% of the Japanese would use it solely for a DVD player, because they all probably already own a one.
Tue 15/08/00 at 16:56
You obviously have no grasp on the industry what so ever......

1) Tekken Tag on the PS2 was a failure grabbing a 29/40 in Famitsu whilst Soul Caliber on the DC was a succes, grabbing 40/40.

2) Square are no longer binded to Sony and have made FFx and FFXI easy to convert across platforms... They are already consiering external development....

3) "The Dreamcast is a lot more versatile and easier to program for than the Playstation 2 and that is why we are concentrating on development for this console" - Capcom

4) The Japanese mainly own vcd players and not many had DVD players before the release of the PS2.....

And those statistics came from CVG.....
Wed 16/08/00 at 18:56
Regular
"I like cheese"
For a start, I don't care about Capcom, because I haven't got any of their games. All Square ever made that was good was the Final Fantasy stuff, and I'm not a major fan of them, and Namco will still be making Ridge Racers and more Tekkens even though TTT looks great. All I care about is Konami (for my Metal Gear Solid games), EA Sports for all my sports games, Eidos as they are probably the best game developers at the moment, Codemasters, and Lucasarts for all my STAR WARS games!!!!! Oh yeah, 90% developing canceled for PS2??? I don't believe that, and if you look in the Official UK Playstation Magazine number 44 I think, there is a whole 20 page spread on new games for the PS2,including a few more previews in each mag after that.
Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 18/08/00 at 16:23
So Resident Evil is no good and does not sell consoles????
Square made A LOT more than the `Final Fantasy stuff` and when I said that Namco are slowly moving to Dreamcast that DOES NOT MEAN THEY WILL STILL BE CHUCKING OUT CRAPPY TEKKEN GAMES ON THE PS2, are you deaf?????????
No, TTT does not look great and certainly does not play like it either and why are you so sure Namco will be making more cr@ppy sequels????
You are so thick, if they dont make money they arent going to try, why bother???
And Konami???? Metal Gear Solid Game(s?????) There will be no gameS, just A GAME which wont be out in time for NEXT Christmas.
And, in case you havent realised, Lucas arts are cross platform and Eidos are almost bankrupt and have resulted to Tomb Raider 5 AND they are VERY heavy supporters of the DC.

I feel sorry for you....
One game to look forward to that doesnt come out untill Christmas 2001???
Hah! I have Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Dead or Alive 2 in my room right now and they are all better than TTT, RR5 and.....
well, thats it really.....
Fri 18/08/00 at 18:23
Regular
"I like cheese"
For a start, I am not thick. You are just biased. There will be more games we haven't heard of, and Tekken games-crappy?? As if. TTT might not be brilliant but the others were, and they may be able to improve. I'm pretty sure there will be an MGS3 on the PS2. As well as the new Bond games. The PS2 hasn't even come out here yet, and the DC has been out a year, I wonder why the DC has more games?? Hmmmmmmmmm.
I don't care about what games you have, and I know ridge racer 5 is crap. I'm also not deaf. I look in Game and I see about 30 Dreamcast games. There are probably more but they are not good enough. I bet in a years time when I get the PS2 there will be lots of games for the PS2. If you just waited before spreading your biased opinion everywhere then you would see. You called me thick and deaf, but I am not going to insult you over your opinion. I realised it was wrong last time I did it.
Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 18/08/00 at 20:59
You're right Ant, insulting people ain't good, but some nerds get a kick out of it.Very sad, but then who cares about them anyway, they probably find it very hard to make friends!!!And spend all night playing with thier Chu Chu Rockets, cuz girls don't like em either.
Sat 19/08/00 at 18:34
Regular
"I like cheese"
Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! Very funny ARTY. I sent you an e-mail and I don't know if it got through, could you tell me. I sent it on the 19th. Speak to ya later, Ant.
Sat 19/08/00 at 21:37
Not as yet, you still having trouble?Thought you forgot about me!!!!!I sent you one the other night, did you get that?Hope you resolve it all soon, and did you win the PS2?????...hope so!!!!!ARTY
Sat 19/08/00 at 23:09
DC Has had nearly a year to come to grips with the machine and for developers to push the console where as ps2 has had just a few months in japan. The bouncer(mae by square) is he hoest hing around, everyone is talking about it so don't be so quick to make statements tigerblade and o some research.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.