GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo - The Competion Killer"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/11/01 at 18:00
Regular
One thing that gets me angry is the comments made about Nintendo. If you would look at the history you will find that Nintendo have beaten all the other consoles/companies.
Here is just a few points that will show just how well Nintendo have been able to the longest lasting major console/games company.

1. Nintendo have the most popular games console in the world. The Gameboy.
2. Sega have finally admitted defeat by canning Dreamcast and joining up with Nintendo to bring games such as Crazy Taxi and Sonic the Hedgehog to Gamecube.
3. Nintendo are now the only console/games company to have started making games and still devotes itself to making games unlike Sony and Microsoft, who got greedy for money despite being huge companies already, feel they can just join the games console market that Nintendo and Sega had shaped and made profitable.
4. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have created there own trademark charcters. Nintendo have Mario and the gang whilst Sony have Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft, to name just two, who were not even made by Sony.

If any more Nintendoids agree with me then let me know your thoughts on the matter.
Mon 05/11/01 at 18:00
One thing that gets me angry is the comments made about Nintendo. If you would look at the history you will find that Nintendo have beaten all the other consoles/companies.
Here is just a few points that will show just how well Nintendo have been able to the longest lasting major console/games company.

1. Nintendo have the most popular games console in the world. The Gameboy.
2. Sega have finally admitted defeat by canning Dreamcast and joining up with Nintendo to bring games such as Crazy Taxi and Sonic the Hedgehog to Gamecube.
3. Nintendo are now the only console/games company to have started making games and still devotes itself to making games unlike Sony and Microsoft, who got greedy for money despite being huge companies already, feel they can just join the games console market that Nintendo and Sega had shaped and made profitable.
4. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have created there own trademark charcters. Nintendo have Mario and the gang whilst Sony have Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft, to name just two, who were not even made by Sony.

If any more Nintendoids agree with me then let me know your thoughts on the matter.
Mon 05/11/01 at 21:19
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
XBox's mascot iz Bill gates :)
I bet he'll have a game about himself :)
Mon 05/11/01 at 21:57
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Yeah it'll be called 'Sim- Multi Billionaire' or 'Theme Business'
:-)
Mon 05/11/01 at 22:51
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
It'd be called "Sim Bill Gates Business Tycoon Simulator"

:)
Thu 08/11/01 at 19:57
Regular
I've got a "Bill Gates" screensaver somewhere where he climbs down the screen and hits it with a hammer!
Thu 08/11/01 at 20:07
Regular
1. Nintendo have the most popular games console in the world. The
> Gameboy.

True, although some people for some reason don't believe the Game Boy to be a games console. They think that because you play it and hold it in your hands, it's a totally different thing. But don't you play games on it? Don't you use a controller to play them with (even though it's built in)? In a way, handheld systems are much better than 'normal' consoles because you can do so much more with them! You could say that you are right about the Game Boy being a competition killer. The two major competitors were the Game Gear and the Neo Geo Pocket Color (that's a mouthful to say) and you don't see them on the shelves in videogames much anymore!

2. Sega have finally admitted defeat by canning Dreamcast and
> joining up with Nintendo to bring games such as Crazy Taxi and Sonic the
> Hedgehog to Gamecube.

However, Sega are also making games for X-box and Playstation 2. Sega aren't actually joining up with any company. they are allowing their branch 'Sonic Team' to work on Nintendo media, and are using other branches of the company to work on the other systems. The competition isn't completely annoyed with the Nintendo deals.

3. Nintendo are now the only console/games company to
> have started making games and still devotes itself to making games unlike Sony
> and Microsoft, who got greedy for money despite being huge companies already,
> feel they can just join the games console market that Nintendo and Sega had
> shaped and made profitable.

Even though I can't think of any right now, Sony do make their own games, as do Microsoft on the PC (Age of Empires anyone?). The trouble is, their own games wont be able to compete very well with the likes of the Resident Evil and Tony Hawks' series's. So maybe Microsoft and Sony are doing themselves a favour by not making their own games...financially anyway. Nintendo and Sega however do still make their games because, no matter what people say, most of their games are top quality and stand out above all the competition.

4. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have created
> there own trademark charcters. Nintendo have Mario and the gang whilst Sony have
> Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft, to name just two, who were not even made by
> Sony.

Sony hasn't got any trademark characters. Crash Bandicoot is coming to Game Boy Advance and Lara Croft (who originally starred on the Sega Saturn) has starred on most major consoles, including the Game boy Color. Microsoft will probably attempt to have their own mascot, but I think it'll be hard for them to create one as successful as Mario, Pikachu and Sonic.

You could say that in some ways you are right about Nintendo being competition killers, but remember, without competition then there wouldn't be many decent games. Games are created in the knowledge that they have to compete with other games, so they are usually made to the best standards.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.