GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo @ E3 - Dringo edition"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/05/03 at 02:05
Regular
I know I posted this in the Nintendo forum but I'm trying to slowly put my more primal posts in here now... oh and it might be an intriguing experiment to get Turbonutter back :P

Dringo Edition 1:

To claim success of E3 2003 for Nintendo isn’t as clear cut as previous years. E3 2001held the biggest collection of new Nintendo announcements, for it’s Gamecube console, ever at a single event. E3 2002 unleashed several new games including new Zelda games and playable version of Mario Sunshine and the Wind Waker… E3 2003 meanwhile saw a load of previously announced games with a few in playable form. Was this really the most disappointing E3 show ever? Well that really depends where you’re coming from.

As a die-hard industry loving Nintendo fan I can honestly say other than the promising looking Geist there were no new games at E3 I actually will make a concerted effort to buy. Nintendo did not show anything on the level of pure fun, and although I managed to improve my knowledge on some previously announced games I wasn’t knocked off my feet with new ones. But it wasn’t to say there wasn’t any new games; we of course got the confirmation and unveilings of 3 new Pokemon games, 2 new Zelda titles and loads of Mario games. And it is from this, system selling point of view, that you have to realise Nintendo did it for the money.

Year after year we get Nintendo showing off their brilliance once again, and this year we didn’t. The two new Zelda games seemed like small, multi-player driven mini-games. The Pokemon games seemed essentially pointless particular ‘Memory magic’ or ‘Box’, which could be incorporated into the new Colosseum with relative ease. And what of the “BIG” announcements (despite one being ruined with Miyamoto’s European tour)? We got an exclusive Sims idea and an Exclusive Metal Gear solid game, how the hell are these two games related too Nintendo in any way? Metal Gear Solid is a realistic game and The Sims is basically a dumbed down version of Animal Crossing. Yet of course they sell, and although I’m disappointed to see Nintendo finally cashing in on brand names or “selling-out” as you will, it is something we’ve been asking them to do for many years now. So we have no one else to blame but ourselves.

Nevertheless Nintendo’s desire to push an innovative idea came heavily into play at E3. The GBA-GC link up has been a mocked extra to the Gamecube. Something you can use to unlock a few extras or add an optional gameplay addition. Metroid and Zelda used it and yet it proved Nintendo’s unwillingness to support the idea, yes it could unlock an extra game or help you on your quest but it was hardly essential. The GBA has been an optional addition from the start and Nintendo’s ability to capitalise on the Gameboy’s success hasn’t been realised… till now. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Pac Man, 2 Zelda games and 2 Pokemon games look set to really launch this idea, and all of a sudden it doesn’t look so silly. These are 4 major system selling franchises (except maybe Pacman) that have the ability to make this an essential addition to the Gamecube and no longer optional. But what of pricing? Crystal Chronicles and Pokemon Colosseum will almost certainly be released as a full price game, because that is what they are. The two new Zelda titles, Pac man and Pokemon Box do not appear to be worth thirty odd quid. The two Zelda games and particularly the new Pac Man idea looks like great fun but if they launch at full price I won’t buy them, as they aren’t worth it. They need to be launched at the same low price as Pokemon Box for this idea to be considered. I for one have taken notice of the concept now.

So most of us left E3 hoping for more. Yes we had the GBA-GC link up pushed, yes we had some cash ins, but we didn’t get anything to wow over. But then that isn’t really true, looking at what was on offer and Nintendo beat the competition hands down. It was just on the scale of announcements and unveilings, Nintendo didn’t do so well regarding. And the GBA had a storming show, Advance Wars, Mario and Luigi, Mario brothers 3, Pokemon Pinball and Metroid Zero to name a few games that really made you smile at the GBA’s future… despite the PSP announcement.

Yet questions over Mario 128 still reigns, where were EAD’s (Nintendo’s in house developers) games? Yes Pikmin 2 and Mario Kart (which is essentially finished) were there… but Nintendo’s teams handle so much. Kirby’s Air ride is in development by Hal, Wario’s World is being done by Treasure, Star Fox by Namco, F Zero by SEGA, Tennis and Golf by Camelot, 1080 by NST, Mario Party 5 by Hudson, Pokemon Channel from Ambrella, Pokemon Colosseum from Genius Sonority Inc, and Giftpia by Skip. Are we really supposed to believe EAD are at full stretch with their small GBA-GC games and Pikmin 2? It all comes to a conclusion that Nintendo are gearing up their best announcements for their home coming show, Spaceworld. It does seem increasingly likely they will house it again this year… and judging on the past 2 Spaceworld’s… we can expect something very special indeed (2000 – Gamecube unveiling 2001 – Mario Sunshine and Zelda Wind Waker unveiling).

Dringo.
Sun 18/05/03 at 02:05
Regular
I know I posted this in the Nintendo forum but I'm trying to slowly put my more primal posts in here now... oh and it might be an intriguing experiment to get Turbonutter back :P

Dringo Edition 1:

To claim success of E3 2003 for Nintendo isn’t as clear cut as previous years. E3 2001held the biggest collection of new Nintendo announcements, for it’s Gamecube console, ever at a single event. E3 2002 unleashed several new games including new Zelda games and playable version of Mario Sunshine and the Wind Waker… E3 2003 meanwhile saw a load of previously announced games with a few in playable form. Was this really the most disappointing E3 show ever? Well that really depends where you’re coming from.

As a die-hard industry loving Nintendo fan I can honestly say other than the promising looking Geist there were no new games at E3 I actually will make a concerted effort to buy. Nintendo did not show anything on the level of pure fun, and although I managed to improve my knowledge on some previously announced games I wasn’t knocked off my feet with new ones. But it wasn’t to say there wasn’t any new games; we of course got the confirmation and unveilings of 3 new Pokemon games, 2 new Zelda titles and loads of Mario games. And it is from this, system selling point of view, that you have to realise Nintendo did it for the money.

Year after year we get Nintendo showing off their brilliance once again, and this year we didn’t. The two new Zelda games seemed like small, multi-player driven mini-games. The Pokemon games seemed essentially pointless particular ‘Memory magic’ or ‘Box’, which could be incorporated into the new Colosseum with relative ease. And what of the “BIG” announcements (despite one being ruined with Miyamoto’s European tour)? We got an exclusive Sims idea and an Exclusive Metal Gear solid game, how the hell are these two games related too Nintendo in any way? Metal Gear Solid is a realistic game and The Sims is basically a dumbed down version of Animal Crossing. Yet of course they sell, and although I’m disappointed to see Nintendo finally cashing in on brand names or “selling-out” as you will, it is something we’ve been asking them to do for many years now. So we have no one else to blame but ourselves.

Nevertheless Nintendo’s desire to push an innovative idea came heavily into play at E3. The GBA-GC link up has been a mocked extra to the Gamecube. Something you can use to unlock a few extras or add an optional gameplay addition. Metroid and Zelda used it and yet it proved Nintendo’s unwillingness to support the idea, yes it could unlock an extra game or help you on your quest but it was hardly essential. The GBA has been an optional addition from the start and Nintendo’s ability to capitalise on the Gameboy’s success hasn’t been realised… till now. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Pac Man, 2 Zelda games and 2 Pokemon games look set to really launch this idea, and all of a sudden it doesn’t look so silly. These are 4 major system selling franchises (except maybe Pacman) that have the ability to make this an essential addition to the Gamecube and no longer optional. But what of pricing? Crystal Chronicles and Pokemon Colosseum will almost certainly be released as a full price game, because that is what they are. The two new Zelda titles, Pac man and Pokemon Box do not appear to be worth thirty odd quid. The two Zelda games and particularly the new Pac Man idea looks like great fun but if they launch at full price I won’t buy them, as they aren’t worth it. They need to be launched at the same low price as Pokemon Box for this idea to be considered. I for one have taken notice of the concept now.

So most of us left E3 hoping for more. Yes we had the GBA-GC link up pushed, yes we had some cash ins, but we didn’t get anything to wow over. But then that isn’t really true, looking at what was on offer and Nintendo beat the competition hands down. It was just on the scale of announcements and unveilings, Nintendo didn’t do so well regarding. And the GBA had a storming show, Advance Wars, Mario and Luigi, Mario brothers 3, Pokemon Pinball and Metroid Zero to name a few games that really made you smile at the GBA’s future… despite the PSP announcement.

Yet questions over Mario 128 still reigns, where were EAD’s (Nintendo’s in house developers) games? Yes Pikmin 2 and Mario Kart (which is essentially finished) were there… but Nintendo’s teams handle so much. Kirby’s Air ride is in development by Hal, Wario’s World is being done by Treasure, Star Fox by Namco, F Zero by SEGA, Tennis and Golf by Camelot, 1080 by NST, Mario Party 5 by Hudson, Pokemon Channel from Ambrella, Pokemon Colosseum from Genius Sonority Inc, and Giftpia by Skip. Are we really supposed to believe EAD are at full stretch with their small GBA-GC games and Pikmin 2? It all comes to a conclusion that Nintendo are gearing up their best announcements for their home coming show, Spaceworld. It does seem increasingly likely they will house it again this year… and judging on the past 2 Spaceworld’s… we can expect something very special indeed (2000 – Gamecube unveiling 2001 – Mario Sunshine and Zelda Wind Waker unveiling).

Dringo.
Sun 18/05/03 at 11:40
Regular
Double posting. SLy.

:-D
Sun 18/05/03 at 17:18
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> Double posting. SLy.
>
> :-D

As cunning as a fox that has been studying cunning at the oxford university of cunning... I'll think you fine.
Fri 23/05/03 at 09:05
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I didn't realise that Nintendo were actually at E3 this year. Still, you learn new stuff everyday :P
Mon 16/06/03 at 18:17
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> I didn't realise that Nintendo were actually at E3 this year. Still,
> you learn new stuff everyday :P

GBA got the best showing out of all the consoles...

so :P
Mon 16/06/03 at 18:24
Regular
"aliens exist"
or trying to get your word count up???? hmm
Sun 22/06/03 at 00:00
Regular
"gsybe you!"
FantasyMeister wrote:

Didn't realise PS2 actually had anything interesting around it anymore.

:P
Sat 05/07/03 at 21:33
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
FantasyMeister wrote:

----

No, I'd wager you were too busy drooling over the fact that Gran Turismo 4 now has cars with 17.5 valves, 6 litre engines, autodrive 623.48 gearboxes and a set of stimulation racing tyres.

;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.