GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"September 11th Tradgedy and videogames"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/11/01 at 19:41
Regular
we were all saddned by the events on september 11th and the many lives lost on that day but is taking computer games off the shelves going to far?
Game release dates such as spiderman 2 and syphon filter 3 were put back because of the terrorist attacks in the US and i was wondering whether that was nescesary or not. If we take these great titles off the shelves we are letting the terrorists win. I think that these games shouldnt be taken away from us as that is what the terrorists want and we should not give into them. I was looking foreward to playing syphon filter 3 but i heard on the news that it was taken off the shelves because of its 'terrorist content' i think that if people dont want to play games like this they shouldnt buy them.
Sun 04/11/01 at 23:49
We have to put 11th September in perspective 5000 people were killed in an act of extreme terrorism. Aproximately 500 of those people were British, thats more people than the IRA and Loyalist paramilitaries have willed in the last 30 years in Northern Ireland.

Many have sufferred, and in such circumstances the games industry is showing that it has some compassion and is not driven purely by greed.

As stated earlier it is only a few games that have been held back, and in most cases holding these games back in development will probably make these games better.

In the mean time there are loads of other games available to keep most entertained!
Sun 04/11/01 at 23:33
Regular
"um..."
Yeah the same thing happened with METAL GEAR SOLID 2 because apparently the storyline involves terrorists attacking New York this I can understand. The tragedy in america affected everyone and raised new ideas on what is politically correct. It is now possible to get 7 years in prison for saying religious jokes, so I can see where these companies are coming from.
Sun 04/11/01 at 23:20
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I agree with Gaming Guy on this one, but what are the Spider Man developers gonna do? Take out the twin towers? This might actually further offend people, rather than keeping them in.
Sun 04/11/01 at 21:57
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Mystique wrote:
> this has so been done before

So has public nudity...
> but it hasnt stopped your repeated offenses huh?!

:)

thing is i havent "streaked" in ages so :oP
Sun 04/11/01 at 20:23
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
In my personal opinion (and this won't be shared by many), games don't create "psycho killers" that run around on mass sprees, shooting anything that dares to move. Ok, granted, one of the famous school shootings in America was provoked by Doom, but that means that there's something wrong with the mentality of the kid, not the game. Those who can't maintain composure and restrain themselves from going on a killing spree shouldn't be playing violent game - full stop.

I don't think the events of September 11th should have effected the gaming industry. No offence to those who died that day, but it just has nothing to do with gaming - it's the people's mentality that makes them do these things. Many of these companies "withdrew", "delayed" or "edited" games, but was it really because of the terrorist attacks? I doubt it. This was just a mark of respect. If this terrorist attack would have happened in Afghanistan, the games wouldn't have been delayed - or I heavily doubt it anyway.

Don't blame gaming - blame the people behind the controllers.

Thanks for reading.
Gaming Guy.
Sun 04/11/01 at 20:12
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Mystique wrote:
> this has so been done before

So has public nudity... but it hasnt stopped your repeated offenses huh?!

:)
Sun 04/11/01 at 19:58
Regular
this has so been done before
Sun 04/11/01 at 19:46
The government haven't said to take them off the shelves the companies decided to because

1) Spiderman is based in New York with the twin towers so they took it off because of that

2) Other games Like Syphon Filter is because of all the destruction

etc
Sun 04/11/01 at 19:41
we were all saddned by the events on september 11th and the many lives lost on that day but is taking computer games off the shelves going to far?
Game release dates such as spiderman 2 and syphon filter 3 were put back because of the terrorist attacks in the US and i was wondering whether that was nescesary or not. If we take these great titles off the shelves we are letting the terrorists win. I think that these games shouldnt be taken away from us as that is what the terrorists want and we should not give into them. I was looking foreward to playing syphon filter 3 but i heard on the news that it was taken off the shelves because of its 'terrorist content' i think that if people dont want to play games like this they shouldnt buy them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.