GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What if the N64 was online?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/11/01 at 16:08
Regular
Wouldn't it have been great if the N64 offered online play, internet access and e-mails? But, what games would have been great if you could play them online? TELL ME!
Thu 15/11/01 at 15:15
Regular
The 64DD had the ability to go online.
Wed 14/11/01 at 17:46
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Perfect Dark online.
Need I say ANY more?
Wed 14/11/01 at 13:19
Regular
"I confused?"
Goldeneye online!!
Need I say more.
Sun 04/11/01 at 22:39
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Phi11ip wrote:
> Only problem is that it would have been a modem and the lag on the games would
> just ruin things! you would shoot sum1 and by the time it had connected to the
> server they would have gone and you would have missed your shot.

That's not how it would traditional be coded. Normally the hit on the other player would be registered and if you'd ran away by the time the hit registered the other player would be left wondering what hit him.

Cable pings are down at about 120 - that's a tenth of a second lag which is highly playable. 56k modems can still manage pings of around 200-300, which is still managable. Put it this way, I've played hours on Counter Strike and Half Life on line with my 56k modem - don't see why the N64 couldn't have managed the same.

That said - there is absolutely no way the N64 should have had a modem.
Sun 04/11/01 at 21:53
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Ev][L~Dark wrote:
> In the Nintendo Offical Mag, they said That 'I rather nintendo stick to making
> great, value for money games instead of worryin' about this so called
> "internet revoluton"'

>WTF are they talking about?

Well if a game has online functions then after buying the game, you then have to pay to use it online{phone bill or subscription to some service which lets you play the game}. But if a game doesn't have online functions then you buy the game and that's it. Value for money! There's no extra costs! See I'd rather Nintendo made a great game that I could play on my own or with me mates, and without having to pay extra to play it over the net!

:)
Sun 04/11/01 at 21:28
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
In the Nintendo Offical Mag, they said That 'I rather nintendo stick to making great, value for money games instead of worryin' about this so called "internet revoluton"'

WTF are they talking about?
Sun 04/11/01 at 18:30
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
If the 64 was online? My phone bill would be EVEN BIGGER! :-)
Sun 04/11/01 at 17:15
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Dark Mark wrote:
> Wouldn't it have been great if the N64 offered online play, internet access and
> e-mails?

You might be able to get that sort of experience when GC is released, if developers decide to make copies of N64 games on the GC discs.

That would be so great, good, rad and any other words I can think of meaning "good", like terrific.
Sun 04/11/01 at 16:45
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I don't think that online plays gonna be a major thing on the Gamecube!

Honestly it's really not that necessery! Split screen with your mates is still LOAD O' FUN!

:)
Sun 04/11/01 at 16:30
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Only problem is that it would have been a modem and the lag on the games would just ruin things! you would shoot sum1 and by the time it had connected to the server they would have gone and you would have missed your shot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.