GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Adrian, you out there?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/05/03 at 21:24
Regular
adrian, I have another question for you, since you were a great help with advice for broadband ISP's.
I am about to go with pipex, but the modem they supply in their package works off the usb, meaning that the pc will have to be on for XBL to work, right?
could I plug the modem into a hub and run sep cables to both pc and xbox? I am sure that I've read somewhere that when using a hub though that the bandwith gets split if using both pc and xbox at the same time....will this effect XBL?
told you that my pc skills arnt the best, sorry
Wed 25/06/03 at 08:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Go to www.adslguide.org.uk

Look on the forums and ask about MTU and RWIN values and how to set them up.
Tue 24/06/03 at 00:56
Regular
woohoo....broadband is already activated :) just finished setting up the pc......its XBL tomorrow(later today!!)

I remember you posting about speed tests and settings but I cant find the post...could you? again?

thanks and hope to see you on live soon.
Sun 25/05/03 at 11:25
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> Scrapdealer might not of known what he was talking about, cause he was
> drinking :-P

Always drinking m8, and never quite sure about what it is that I'm talking about :ož
Sun 25/05/03 at 10:31
Regular
"BOSE"
Scrapdealer might not of known what he was talking about, cause he was drinking :-P
Sat 24/05/03 at 23:24
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
scrapdealer wrote:
> right then, another decision made!!!
> after a few beers and a quick chat with some mates, it looks like
> this....
> a wires only package from 'Zen', compatible with XBL apparently, a
> shiny new US Robotics modem/router with ethernet out. This should let
> me connect the pc AND the xbox with seperate RJ45 cables.
> The monthly is £23.82 with Zen and no connection charge either
> :)
>
> Pipex almost got it but they didnt reply when I asked if they
> supported XBL so they lost out!!lol
>
> this set-up should be ok u reckon??

Yes that will work. Pipex dont often answer emails as they have phone support. Also XBox Live does work as I use Pipex. They actually would say "No" they dont support it as if you had a problem with XBox Live you couldnt ask them for support, as they dont support it. But it does work. Any way Zen seem good and its only 38p a month more than Pipex, also having no connection charge is good as well. Also you will need to buy Mircofilters seperatly, but these can be only a few pounds from some places. You need 1 for each active phone socket.
Sat 24/05/03 at 22:44
Regular
right then, another decision made!!!
after a few beers and a quick chat with some mates, it looks like this....
a wires only package from 'Zen', compatible with XBL apparently, a shiny new US Robotics modem/router with ethernet out. This should let me connect the pc AND the xbox with seperate RJ45 cables.
The monthly is £23.82 with Zen and no connection charge either :)

Pipex almost got it but they didnt reply when I asked if they supported XBL so they lost out!!lol

this set-up should be ok u reckon??

Thanks for all your advice/help, hope to see you on XBL sometime toward the end of june i hope
Sun 18/05/03 at 23:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Yep I am here :). Yes you will have to leave your PC on to play XBL. I am pretty sure a HUB will not work, as your trying to have a USB interface with a Ethernet end, so the XBox could be connected to a Ethernet HUB but the modem couldnt as its USB. The best thing to do in your situation is to use a network card(NIC) as you just plug a Crossover cable(XBox Link cable if you have one) into the XBox and the PCs NIC. Then all you need to do is on your internet connection properties enable Internet Connection Sharing(ICS). Have the PC connected to the internet and then plug in the cables and turn on the XBox. XBox auto detects everything needed to run XBL through the connection. If you dont have a NIC installed then there easy to install and cheap to buy. You can get a NIC for £10 and 10m Crossover cable for another £4 or so. NICs just slot into a spare PCI slot and some dont even need drivers as Windows auto installs them. Most computer places would probably fit a NIC for you at a charge.
Sun 18/05/03 at 21:24
Regular
adrian, I have another question for you, since you were a great help with advice for broadband ISP's.
I am about to go with pipex, but the modem they supply in their package works off the usb, meaning that the pc will have to be on for XBL to work, right?
could I plug the modem into a hub and run sep cables to both pc and xbox? I am sure that I've read somewhere that when using a hub though that the bandwith gets split if using both pc and xbox at the same time....will this effect XBL?
told you that my pc skills arnt the best, sorry

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.