GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Blah Blah violence blah blah realism"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/11/01 at 03:38
Regular
"Is violence in games acceptable"
"What when it looks almost real when you kill a character?"
"Are we affected by the violence in games?"
"Should GTA3 be released at all?"
"Is it right?"
---

Sound familiar?
Repeat after me, "It.Is.Just.A.Game"
Same can be applied to movies and music.

We have been maiming and killing each other since we swung through the trees folks, the only that's changed is now you can watch it live on CNN.
Games don't do it, movies don't do it, music don't do it.
We do it.
I read a thing about this precise topic in a paper today (probably the Daily Mail: Where homosexuals dont exist, England still rules the world and crime does not pay), and it was a question posed by some middle-aged dude that probably hasn't touched a video-game since he couldn't get the frog across the river on the logs.

Nobody asks us, the playing public.
We're not depraved rapists and thugs, we're polite, well mannered individuals that can laugh when we drive-by 6 pedestrians.
BECAUSE IT IS JUST A GAME.
That simple.
All there is to it.

If you are influenced enough to go out and try something, you're an idiot. Don't blame anything else, and don't make it so I can't get a game or movie because some tool thought Eminem told him to shoot his school up.

Has anyone here commited an act of crime since playing GTA3?
Has anyone here tried to infiltrate a top-secret miltary base since playing Metal Gear Solid?
Did anyone pull off a bungled-jewelry heist because of Reservoir Dogs?
Anyone?...didn't think so.
It's just the usual "Moral outrage" that sweeps us every now and then.
If it isn't GTA3, then it was "Lady Chatterly's Lover" by D.H.Lawrence. There was a public burning of that book when it was released. Now? You study it for A Level English.

Just relax. Or if you have posted here saying that games influence behaviour? Get rid of all your violent games and go play Nintendo.
Don't say it does cause something, but "Oh I can play/watch/read/listen because I am intelligent enough to not follow blindly."

I played GTA3 tonight.
I stole cars, I shot gang-members, I assasinated a paparazzi photographer (maybe not such a bad thing to try out for real). Yet I turned the game off, and went outside to play with kittens and squirrels and stuff.
Do you think Osama Bin Laden played a video-game and thought "I know!..."
No he didn't.
Those two kids in Columbine, did they listen to Marylin Manson and say "Hey,let's shoot those guys that have tormented us for years and then commit suicide because the song said we should?"
No they didn't.

Like Reed Rothchild said in Boogie Nights, "Hey if we stopped making these movies and the world was perfect because of that? Cool, I'll go do magic because that's something else I've been getting into".

It's just a game.
Play it, enjoy it. Turn it off and continue to do what you were doing before you played it.

Think of it like a mantra for your day
"It's just a game." Repeat it to concerned parents, or ask them what game made Michael Ryan go mental in Hungerford, or Dunblane.
No games at fault there.
Relax and enjoy your game.
Because that's all it is.

Now I'm tired and I'm off to yank old people out of their station wagons and try to join the local branch of The Yajuza.
Not that GTA3 made me or anything.
Mon 05/11/01 at 16:20
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
True, if he owned a Nintendo, his response would have been:

seigohse es gise 2 25 5 6236236 w t w eeeeeeeee
Mon 05/11/01 at 16:13
Regular
He owns a PS2. I blame that.
Mon 05/11/01 at 15:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You've hijacked my topic and turned into a farce.

A bloody farce.

How utterly childish.
Mon 05/11/01 at 15:54
"High polygon count"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Finally become a true resident of Northampton then
> Wookiee? ;-)

nah mate, i iz not dat bad, but on da slipry slope

;-)
Mon 05/11/01 at 15:26
Regular
"not dead"
WÚÛkiee M¯nßÜÄR wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> Has anyone here commited an act of crime since playing
> GTA3?

yeah mate, it got ta me

im now hooked on Crack. *twitch* i nicked
> sum carz to pay fuh me habit but it werent enuff *sniff*

s pent las nite
> trying ta kil sum bozo frum da top o greyfriars carpark in norfamptin cuz it
> pais mor muny *twich*

me famulie as dizowne d me *twich* *sniff* an me lif is
> in tatuz, an itz all cuza dat firkin game

dunt tuch it kidz else it wil muss
> u up sumin bad

Finally become a true resident of Northampton then Wookiee? ;-)
Mon 05/11/01 at 15:23
"High polygon count"
Goatboy wrote:
> Has anyone here commited an act of crime since playing GTA3?

yeah mate, it got ta me

im now hooked on Crack. *twitch* i nicked sum carz to pay fuh me habit but it werent enuff *sniff*

s pent las nite trying ta kil sum bozo frum da top o greyfriars carpark in norfamptin cuz it pais mor muny *twich*

me famulie as dizowne d me *twich* *sniff* an me lif is in tatuz, an itz all cuza dat firkin game

dunt tuch it kidz else it wil muss u up sumin bad
Mon 05/11/01 at 15:20
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
You just said what I did, with about 1/8 of the wordage.

Damn Dirty Classical Upbringing of mine
Mon 05/11/01 at 15:14
Regular
"not dead"
Excellent use of a quote from Boogie Nights.

Games are games, they're fun.

If you want to go out and hurt people, that's not GTA's fault, you have problems, the game didn't create these, you are just twisted.
Mon 05/11/01 at 14:38
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Goatboy wrote:

>Has anyone here commited an act of crime since playing >GTA3?

I played GTA2 for the first time and stole a pen from work 2 days later. Coincidence? I think not! I should sell my story to the Mail - headline news

"Pen stolen in GTA2 shocker!"

But seriously, well said Goaty ..... i (and i think everyone else who has ever played a computer game) agree with you 100%.

Actually, i ran over a rabit once...maybe there is something in it!

Gangsta "i'm just of to email the Mail" Hamsta
Sun 04/11/01 at 12:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Violence in games is a good thing. If I feel the need to vent some frustration, I just go and drive-by an old granny in GTA3. Simple.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.