GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Have all great games series gone downhill?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/06/10 at 21:31
Regular
"Broken Seahorse"
Are you wondering whatever happened to the Monkey Island games? Did you think the last one ruined the magic for you? Do you think that a particular favourite games series of yours has got worse over recent years? Was Halo better as a standalone title? What's your opinion? Give it on any game series you love! Have they got worse or better, given the broad spectrum of gaming!
Thu 23/12/10 at 22:29
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Yes. Game companies take advantage of a winning idea and then dumb it down for the moronic casual gamer in order to increase sales.
Thu 23/12/10 at 21:27
Regular
"Broken Seahorse"
Alfoncy wrote:
I wouldn't say so, look at Nintendo for example. I have never seen a badly reviewed game in any of its mascots main series. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best reviewed game of this generation.

I think the key to good gaming series is longer development cycles, I can't think of a gaming series released every year that hasn't become stale. Look at Valve, they have hideously long development cycles and they always release gold.

Zero Punctuation is a particular games reviewer known for his ruthless harshness on games, he says that Nintendo rely on their classic characters in order to boost sales. So it is just one rehash after another, I agree with him, as most wii games are fluctuating in a particular pattern: new zelda game, new mario game, new mario game with 2d mechanics, new metroid game, and now they have rehashed goldeneye. Thanks for your post, though
Thu 17/06/10 at 16:34
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Most games do fall stagnant - I can see the CoD series rapidly becoming too samey.

However, there are some brilliant franchises out there - I recently played Splinter Cell Conviction and they have changed the gameplay almost entirely - instead of being overly stealthy, they have made it more action-orientated.

Games do need a new idea to freshen them up, after a few sequels, but the majority of them get them and continue being successful. One exception is Halo: ODST. Bungie tried something new and it failed. Horribly.

Still, take everyone as it comes and I guess it is down to the individual to decide whether or not it feels dated.
Thu 17/06/10 at 11:17
Regular
I wouldn't say so, look at Nintendo for example. I have never seen a badly reviewed game in any of its mascots main series. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best reviewed game of this generation.

I think the key to good gaming series is longer development cycles, I can't think of a gaming series released every year that hasn't become stale. Look at Valve, they have hideously long development cycles and they always release gold.
Wed 16/06/10 at 22:41
Regular
"eat toast!"
Like all good things, they come in small packages and what goes up must come down.

Even brilliant game franchises will become stagnant and just be release the same tat again and again. It what lead to the gaming crash in some ways as everyone kept rehashing the same games again and again.

Some keep the quality up like GTA series but some are slowly falling stagnant. But there are high points and low points of any series these days.

Just compare RE from the start to finish and we've seen it evolve into something very alien.
Wed 16/06/10 at 21:31
Regular
"Broken Seahorse"
Are you wondering whatever happened to the Monkey Island games? Did you think the last one ruined the magic for you? Do you think that a particular favourite games series of yours has got worse over recent years? Was Halo better as a standalone title? What's your opinion? Give it on any game series you love! Have they got worse or better, given the broad spectrum of gaming!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.