GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*shmuck shmuck*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/11/01 at 19:17
Regular
Yeah, yeah, everyone knows what can be said about game graphics or gameplay, but let's go deeper into what makes a great game. Graphics and gameplay aren't everything!

Let's focus on storylines! What would a game be, a good one anyway, without a meaning behind all of it. We all play games today that have a storyline. The storyline grabs us deeper into the game, most of the time it leaves us trying to imitate real life. Strange I know, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

Games can be separated using genre to show the similarities between storylines. Here is my list of great games for their genre with a near-perfect storyline:

Action/Adventure - Intense

Max Payne - Very inventive storyline that's perfect for the genre. All alone, Max Payne has to fight back against those against him in his lonesome world. Slow-paced shooter which was absolutely perfect for the symbolism. The music gave off a certain sad emotion whilst the lone hero blasted his way through. Why was this such a great and successful game? All because of it's magical blend in graphics, gameplay AND storyline.

Onimusha Warlords - This different PS2 title to its genre was simply fantastic and well accepted by a wide range of audiences. This great Capcom creation was not the usual type of action/adventure we normally see in the industry, but everything about it was great. Everywhere you took your hero, Samanosuke, there was always a tense feeling surrounding you. The storyline for this game was pretty basic but very well constructed. During the game you'll approach certain areas leading to particular cutscenes. These cutscenes had a magnificient script to them and you just couldn't help but be impressed by it. It kept you in suspense all through the journey. The only flaw I could see about Onimusha Warlords was its length. Too short but fantastic!

Deus Ex - This PC shooter, and forthcoming PS2 title is a very good example when it comes to displaying a near-perfect game. It had nearly everything to keep you playing for months. The storyline was deep, graphics were appropriate, inventive gameplay and wonderful atmospheres. Emotions came flying out of this game when playing due to its intense storyline. Along Denton's (your hero) journey he comes across betrayal and attack, when this occurs the music seems to maximise the intensity leading to utter sympathy, even though it's a game! This very interactive title is a real classic for the PC format and a great example of how inventive storylines can be in games.

Silent Hill 2 - Although this may be classed in the survival horror genre Silent Hill 2 contains certain elements of action and adventure. I'm sure most of you know the storyline and would agree with me that it's simply very imaginative. Fantastis in fact because it fits in to the genre. Just playing this game will leave your poor body feeling all sorts of emotions whilst holding firm to your pad. Another great game with a great storyline.

Perfect Dark - Perfect Dark is a mission-based game like no other. It's objectives dig far deeper than original objective-based games due to the brilliant storyline. Once again this is a great N64 title that contains a lot of tension. This is further built by the tense music and atmosphere, especially when action takes place. Perfect Dark, a very addictive multiplayer, attracted many into its lair due to its appealing basis.

Grand Theft Auto 3 - As many already know, Grand Theft Auto 3 is simply legendary. At first sight the transformation from its predecessors is instantly visible. This is a 3D version which is absolutely fantastic. Joy just rushes through you as you play, as well as many curious thoughts thinking how the hell was such a great game achieved? It's efforts like this that are a true credit to the industry. To top such a great game GTA3 holds a great storyline with a brilliant gangster twist. With many missions to accomplish and a huge area to explore GTA3 is and plays like a charm!

Metal Gear Solid - The evr popular Konami title is set to release another stunner, MGS2, so let's take a look why this game was so good. Well, it had great gameplay, exceptional graphics and it brought a whole lot of new features to the genre. Our hero Snake has to try to retrieve/destroy the high-tech Metal Gear because of it being it the wrong hands. This game has a very strong storyline and a great script. As you progress in your journey you'll see how well everything's put together, and when you complete it you'll know why it's still a classic now!

Beat-em-ups - Mainly based on revenge

Tekken - I say Tekken and not the latest Tekken because from the start of this sequel a great storyline was formed. Developers, Namco, took their time in creating a storyline for each character and planning ahead for later sequels, that is why, today, they're seen as probably the best beat-em-ups ever! As I mentioned earlier, each character formed started off with a storyline and continued with it in later sequels. During the time and space of each sequel developers changed each characters' storyline and made it deeper, most likely because they wanted players of the game to feel the emotion and fight how the character would fight in real life. This emotion was further portrayed by fantastic FMVs with great appeal.The Tekken series are currently carrying on stronger than ever proving to be THE beat-em-up to get.

So as you have emphasised you'll have noticed that storylines play a very important part in the development of games. Great storylines can sometimes boost a game with not so good gameplay into still being as hit in the industry. But most of the thime games with great storyline have had a worthy blend with graphics and gameplay to our satisfaction.
Most of us can't imagine a game without some sort of storyline, what would be the point in playing. Even Mario has a storyline, even though it's not that great, which is an addition to his addictive gameplay making him what he is today.

Next time you indulge in some form of gaming think of what the game would be like without a storyline. Good luck 'cos I can't simply imagine!
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 03/11/01 at 19:17
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Yeah, yeah, everyone knows what can be said about game graphics or gameplay, but let's go deeper into what makes a great game. Graphics and gameplay aren't everything!

Let's focus on storylines! What would a game be, a good one anyway, without a meaning behind all of it. We all play games today that have a storyline. The storyline grabs us deeper into the game, most of the time it leaves us trying to imitate real life. Strange I know, but sometimes it just can't be helped.

Games can be separated using genre to show the similarities between storylines. Here is my list of great games for their genre with a near-perfect storyline:

Action/Adventure - Intense

Max Payne - Very inventive storyline that's perfect for the genre. All alone, Max Payne has to fight back against those against him in his lonesome world. Slow-paced shooter which was absolutely perfect for the symbolism. The music gave off a certain sad emotion whilst the lone hero blasted his way through. Why was this such a great and successful game? All because of it's magical blend in graphics, gameplay AND storyline.

Onimusha Warlords - This different PS2 title to its genre was simply fantastic and well accepted by a wide range of audiences. This great Capcom creation was not the usual type of action/adventure we normally see in the industry, but everything about it was great. Everywhere you took your hero, Samanosuke, there was always a tense feeling surrounding you. The storyline for this game was pretty basic but very well constructed. During the game you'll approach certain areas leading to particular cutscenes. These cutscenes had a magnificient script to them and you just couldn't help but be impressed by it. It kept you in suspense all through the journey. The only flaw I could see about Onimusha Warlords was its length. Too short but fantastic!

Deus Ex - This PC shooter, and forthcoming PS2 title is a very good example when it comes to displaying a near-perfect game. It had nearly everything to keep you playing for months. The storyline was deep, graphics were appropriate, inventive gameplay and wonderful atmospheres. Emotions came flying out of this game when playing due to its intense storyline. Along Denton's (your hero) journey he comes across betrayal and attack, when this occurs the music seems to maximise the intensity leading to utter sympathy, even though it's a game! This very interactive title is a real classic for the PC format and a great example of how inventive storylines can be in games.

Silent Hill 2 - Although this may be classed in the survival horror genre Silent Hill 2 contains certain elements of action and adventure. I'm sure most of you know the storyline and would agree with me that it's simply very imaginative. Fantastis in fact because it fits in to the genre. Just playing this game will leave your poor body feeling all sorts of emotions whilst holding firm to your pad. Another great game with a great storyline.

Perfect Dark - Perfect Dark is a mission-based game like no other. It's objectives dig far deeper than original objective-based games due to the brilliant storyline. Once again this is a great N64 title that contains a lot of tension. This is further built by the tense music and atmosphere, especially when action takes place. Perfect Dark, a very addictive multiplayer, attracted many into its lair due to its appealing basis.

Grand Theft Auto 3 - As many already know, Grand Theft Auto 3 is simply legendary. At first sight the transformation from its predecessors is instantly visible. This is a 3D version which is absolutely fantastic. Joy just rushes through you as you play, as well as many curious thoughts thinking how the hell was such a great game achieved? It's efforts like this that are a true credit to the industry. To top such a great game GTA3 holds a great storyline with a brilliant gangster twist. With many missions to accomplish and a huge area to explore GTA3 is and plays like a charm!

Metal Gear Solid - The evr popular Konami title is set to release another stunner, MGS2, so let's take a look why this game was so good. Well, it had great gameplay, exceptional graphics and it brought a whole lot of new features to the genre. Our hero Snake has to try to retrieve/destroy the high-tech Metal Gear because of it being it the wrong hands. This game has a very strong storyline and a great script. As you progress in your journey you'll see how well everything's put together, and when you complete it you'll know why it's still a classic now!

Beat-em-ups - Mainly based on revenge

Tekken - I say Tekken and not the latest Tekken because from the start of this sequel a great storyline was formed. Developers, Namco, took their time in creating a storyline for each character and planning ahead for later sequels, that is why, today, they're seen as probably the best beat-em-ups ever! As I mentioned earlier, each character formed started off with a storyline and continued with it in later sequels. During the time and space of each sequel developers changed each characters' storyline and made it deeper, most likely because they wanted players of the game to feel the emotion and fight how the character would fight in real life. This emotion was further portrayed by fantastic FMVs with great appeal.The Tekken series are currently carrying on stronger than ever proving to be THE beat-em-up to get.

So as you have emphasised you'll have noticed that storylines play a very important part in the development of games. Great storylines can sometimes boost a game with not so good gameplay into still being as hit in the industry. But most of the thime games with great storyline have had a worthy blend with graphics and gameplay to our satisfaction.
Most of us can't imagine a game without some sort of storyline, what would be the point in playing. Even Mario has a storyline, even though it's not that great, which is an addition to his addictive gameplay making him what he is today.

Next time you indulge in some form of gaming think of what the game would be like without a storyline. Good luck 'cos I can't simply imagine!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.