GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are games getting easy?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/11/01 at 18:39
Regular
I have only one qeustion,are games getting easy or is it just that we're getting good?
Whenever I get a new game it is so easy and I whizz right through and finish a couple of days later (including all them side quests and all them extra items).They're just too easy.I don't die in them sometimes,not enough challenges.The only games that stand a chance around me are Zelda games,they take a week to finish.I'm always looking for harder games to play,none so far.
I have all but one of the Tombraider games and I have given up on them,for their pure easiness.
I only play games nower days to have some fun,just wander around and find some mini games sometimes or just try to find something funny in it.
Does anybody agree with me?
P.S.I don't use cheats.
Sun 04/11/01 at 14:01
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
apparently Europe is the only place where games are still 'herdcore'. In Japan some games are made easier because the Japanese see themselves as like the Homeland of gaming so they get annoyed if they can't win stuff. In America some games have been made easier, in particular some with puzzle elements they've added more hints to cater for the (whats the politcally correct word for stupid?) 'cerebrally challenges' gamers.

So count yourselves as lucky! (or games could seem even easier!)
Sun 04/11/01 at 02:16
It is difficult to say that games are getting easier,

I thought about doing a post similar to this, my main reason for doing it was because a few nights ago, I found myself playing Final Fantasy 7.

I remember getting it when it came out, to me then, it was the hardest, most complicated game I had ever played. Since then I have grown older, wiser (maybe not wiser...), and have got better at gaming in general. That night I was comparing myself now to then, I reckon that Final Fantasy 9 is just as hard/easy as Final Fantasy 7 was, yet Final Fantasy 9 took me 3 months less to complete, and I completed Final Fantasy 9 in 3 days.

I was also comparing myself on shoot-em-ups. I remember as a younger child picking up the N64 console for the first time and playing on Goldeneye. I was absolutly pathetic at the game, but over the course of time, I have evolved into a better gamer, and now on Perfect Dark, I can give the Perfect Sim's a run for their money.

I reckon that games aren't getting harder, it's that we are getting better as gamers, and we are waiting for the next hard challenge.
Sun 04/11/01 at 01:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
As Meka said, games no longer get harder, just longer. Games like Fur Fighters are proper hardcore, because the levels are actually quite hard and you replay them many times. There's not that many of them but the games lasts for ages because you spend ages completing a level. Only hardcore gamers like us will enjoy this though.

On the other hand we have games like GT3, which although not actually HARD, are absolutely massive. With these you just have to get through it and these appeal to many more gamers.

Happy mediums are games like GTA3. They start off easy but get progressively harder. The game is also quite big; I can see at least a week in this for me and then I think I'm going to replay it, taking on all the special missions. These are my favourite style, as long as they can get the balance.
Sun 04/11/01 at 01:10
Regular
"not dead"
It's all to do with mass market appeal.

People don't like to get frustrated, not being able to finish games frustrates people, so people stop playing games.

As a result games are made much easier.

So developers have to put in further quests in harder difficulty levels, and have many optional side quests in order to keep those more experienced gamers happy.
Sat 03/11/01 at 20:22
Regular
"I'm you + 1!"
Games in a whole can't be progressively getting easier, that's just daft, some games however say like the popular Tomb Raider series may be 'easyish' at times so younger or not so skilled gamers can still play and enjoy the game..
Sat 03/11/01 at 19:33
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Some games are getting easier to cater for the casual gamers, who wouldn't like games that are too hard. Developers are (probably) nowadays spending more time trying to get the graphics decent now, so spend less time creating levels. (although the overall time spent making games has gone up hugely). But still if we look at many of the 16bit era updates (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong) then most of the 64bit games took me less time to complete than their 16bit prequels. I think this is because of quite a few reasons:

1) I am getting better at games
2) With the jump into 3D developers are going to initially find it hard to match the kind of difficulties gamers had to overcome in 2D games, and have the same number of set out 'levels'.
3) Developers are spending a long time getting graphics right, and the better graphics means more memory used, so less memory for levels and less time spent on them.

I think the next gen of 3D games will help remedy this with more space for levels and developers have more 3D experience. Also for the GC it is easy to develop for so if a developer spends as long making a GC game as they did an N64 one it should be much bigger (and better, hopefully!)

But games like Perfect Dark and Goldeneye are great cos they cater for casual and Hardcore gamers, with difficulties that don't just mean enemies take more shots to die, and you take less. The varying difficulty levels make the enemy more intelligent, add objectives, and can even change your situation at the start. (remember Carringtons Villa?)

Anyway I've run out of ideas.
Sat 03/11/01 at 18:39
I have only one qeustion,are games getting easy or is it just that we're getting good?
Whenever I get a new game it is so easy and I whizz right through and finish a couple of days later (including all them side quests and all them extra items).They're just too easy.I don't die in them sometimes,not enough challenges.The only games that stand a chance around me are Zelda games,they take a week to finish.I'm always looking for harder games to play,none so far.
I have all but one of the Tombraider games and I have given up on them,for their pure easiness.
I only play games nower days to have some fun,just wander around and find some mini games sometimes or just try to find something funny in it.
Does anybody agree with me?
P.S.I don't use cheats.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.