GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games To Films"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/11/01 at 14:34
Regular
Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, a lot of the games that are ripped off into movies are not very good. It costs money to buy the licence (which can fluctuate to cost more than the film production) and millions of pounds to create the actual film itself. However, granted that there is a decent film company out there that's willing to convert some games into films, which ones would you choose and which stars would you get to play them.

Max Payne - With a plot worthy of a film, this could be a big success, should it be plugged to the silver screen. With a multi-million dollar budget, it could be made into something that not only gamers enjoy, but movie goers too! We could have just any italian actor playing the mob bosses and yes, you guessed it, Arnold Schwaranegger as Max Payne himself. Ok, Arnie may look a little big for Payne, but it's no biggie, right?

Hitman Codename: 47 - This game is no Max Payne, but still a great game nonetheless. With an original plot and not neccassarily large budget, it could be made into a decent film. The critics will call it a cheap rip off of Hanibal, but gamers will love it! The only actor I can think of with (lack of) hair like the main character is Jack Nicholson - he would make the perfect hitman!

Return To Castle Wolfenstein - Ok, so the game isn't out yet, is that really a problem? We've all seen the screenshots and or movie clips of it and it look amazing. If made by the right directors etc, it could be a cracking horror film. With a decent (or even half-decent) script, this could be a film to see. I wouldn't expect to see any big time actors in this one, as it's a film that need not splash out money on expensive actors. The cheapest will do.

Alien .vs. Predator - No, not Sigourney Weaver this time, not Ripley. It wouldn't need any famous people and the cheapest possible will do, as with Return To Castle Wolfenstein. A lot of the film could be computer generated (alien, predator etc), unlike the 80s, early 90s versions. It wouldn't be very demanding from an acting standpoint and could easily pull in audiences who have seen any Alien or Predator film, or even played the game itself - provided, that is, that there is no more Alien films being advertised at the time!

Diablo - This doesn't have too a complicated storyline but could be a little demanding to the directors, as there would be a lot of ground to cover, as there would be with any RPG converted into a game, as they contain non-linear plots. The film would have to cover just the bare essentials, and nothing else, or we're looking at Gone With The Wind all over again here. Again, cheapest actors possible, as no famous people are required for the role.

No One Lives Forever - I know what someone will say - this game is already a film in Austin Powers. That is a fair comment but not particularly true. Austin Powers was more comedy than anything else, but this could focus on being serious, like (most parts of) the James Bond films. Infact, yes, a James Bond film but a female instead and cutting all comedy out - that's the formula to a (not so) good film!

In theory, a lot of those would be good, but may totally and utterly stink.

Thanks for reading.
Gaming Guy.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 03/11/01 at 14:34
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, a lot of the games that are ripped off into movies are not very good. It costs money to buy the licence (which can fluctuate to cost more than the film production) and millions of pounds to create the actual film itself. However, granted that there is a decent film company out there that's willing to convert some games into films, which ones would you choose and which stars would you get to play them.

Max Payne - With a plot worthy of a film, this could be a big success, should it be plugged to the silver screen. With a multi-million dollar budget, it could be made into something that not only gamers enjoy, but movie goers too! We could have just any italian actor playing the mob bosses and yes, you guessed it, Arnold Schwaranegger as Max Payne himself. Ok, Arnie may look a little big for Payne, but it's no biggie, right?

Hitman Codename: 47 - This game is no Max Payne, but still a great game nonetheless. With an original plot and not neccassarily large budget, it could be made into a decent film. The critics will call it a cheap rip off of Hanibal, but gamers will love it! The only actor I can think of with (lack of) hair like the main character is Jack Nicholson - he would make the perfect hitman!

Return To Castle Wolfenstein - Ok, so the game isn't out yet, is that really a problem? We've all seen the screenshots and or movie clips of it and it look amazing. If made by the right directors etc, it could be a cracking horror film. With a decent (or even half-decent) script, this could be a film to see. I wouldn't expect to see any big time actors in this one, as it's a film that need not splash out money on expensive actors. The cheapest will do.

Alien .vs. Predator - No, not Sigourney Weaver this time, not Ripley. It wouldn't need any famous people and the cheapest possible will do, as with Return To Castle Wolfenstein. A lot of the film could be computer generated (alien, predator etc), unlike the 80s, early 90s versions. It wouldn't be very demanding from an acting standpoint and could easily pull in audiences who have seen any Alien or Predator film, or even played the game itself - provided, that is, that there is no more Alien films being advertised at the time!

Diablo - This doesn't have too a complicated storyline but could be a little demanding to the directors, as there would be a lot of ground to cover, as there would be with any RPG converted into a game, as they contain non-linear plots. The film would have to cover just the bare essentials, and nothing else, or we're looking at Gone With The Wind all over again here. Again, cheapest actors possible, as no famous people are required for the role.

No One Lives Forever - I know what someone will say - this game is already a film in Austin Powers. That is a fair comment but not particularly true. Austin Powers was more comedy than anything else, but this could focus on being serious, like (most parts of) the James Bond films. Infact, yes, a James Bond film but a female instead and cutting all comedy out - that's the formula to a (not so) good film!

In theory, a lot of those would be good, but may totally and utterly stink.

Thanks for reading.
Gaming Guy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.