GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Splinter Cell: Conviction"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction'.
Tue 15/06/10 at 14:54
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Spliter Cell Conviction
As reviewed on the Xbox 360

In what has to be one of my favourite game series of all time I became mightily excited at the prospect of Splinter Cell agent Sam Fisher going rogue and fighting against his former employers, Third Echelon. As excited as I was, I was equally disappointed that the game seemed to stay with a release date of TBA and when it was announced, the game was constantly delayed. Was it going to be worth the wait?

When the game was finally released, I wasn’t sure what to expect. So many proposed features in article and previews were mentioned, but cut short or replaced with something else instead. However, the end product works well and looks fantastic.

Without wanting to give too much of the plot away, this game focuses its sonic goggles on Third Echelon’s attempt to overthrow the power in the White House. The theme continues from the previous games where a mole suddenly becomes too big for his boots and takes control. A side plot to the story touches upon Sam’s daughter, Sarah, revealing the truth about her disappearance. Very interesting how the plot plays out and it is very deep.

I’ll get the point about graphics out early on. Previous Splinter Cell games have always been celebrated for their top-notch graphics and impressive lighting effects. You will be pleased to know that Conviction does not disappoint. The effects are utterly astounding and the shadow effects are even more effective than its predecessors. Moving into the darkness has now become easier to understand. If you are hidden, the screen takes on a black and white effect, whereas if you are visible, you see everything in colour. Looks very tidy and takes one less item to watch away from the HUD. Your objectives also are displayed on the scenery, which is quite movie-like. It took me a while to get used to, but it is a very swish touch that adds atmosphere to a rather dark game.

Gameplay has now shifted from the stealthy-stealthy sneak from A to B without being noticed by guards C and D before extracting through extraction point E. Now it is a simple case of going from A to B via any means necessary. If you happen to kill everyone you meet along the way, so be it. I guess this helps to create a bit more freedom within the game to play the way you feel most comfortable to play.

This does mean however, the game has become a lot easier to play, mainly down to the more action-orientated game design. If things go bad, there isn’t much a frag grenade and a semi-automatic can’t get you out of. Cover is easy to find and move between, enemies can be executed speedily if you take the time to prepare and your objectives are clearly marked.

Although it focuses heavily on action, you can still play in the dark. I particularly enjoy the game of hide and seek you can play with your enemies – a quick distraction here, a panic moment there and a sneaky dispatch from behind is always great fun! If they do happen to spot you, your last known position is a ghostly silhouette that remains where you were last spotted and that is where the guards will investigate first. This has tactical advantages, especially when dealing with a large group of enemies.

The weaponry available has expanded greatly, to include a range of machine guns, pistols and a shotgun. The high-tech gadgetry has also expanded slightly, with a portable EMP added to the collection. All of these can be upgraded via the use of upgrade points. Upgrade points are obtained throughout the game by completing different game related challenges (all are optional and sort of act as an internal achievement system – they don’t require you to do any extra objective). These challenges range from successfully eliminating ten opponents without detection to doing specific things during an interrogation. This in turn keeps the game interesting as you’ll always have a challenge in mind that you would aim to go for during your next objective.

As you can already tell, I am a big fan of the Splinter Cell series and as such I actually entered the risky depths of the online multiplayer. There are several online modes available, but the most notable one is “Hunter”. In this mode, you pair up with another gamer to eliminate all opponents on a map. This enlarges the cat and mouse fun of playing with the enemies’ heads as you work together to eliminate them. This mode is available offline as well, along with a single player option in a gameplay mode called Deniable Ops. A downside of this is that the maps are huge. Why is that a bad thing? Well it takes approximately 2-3 minutes to load a map – with most games now plunging you straight into the action, the wait here can be tedious. But once you are in, you will be too absorbed in the action to remember it!

Overall, Splinter Cell Conviction is another fantastic episode in an already incredible game series. Great graphics, realistic sounds and a new style not only has maintained the high reputation of the brand, but has also added something refreshing into the mix to ensure the series would stand strong if yet another sequel were to be released. I’d certainly recommend a lengthy rent of this game, as there is a lot to involve yourself in, but for me, this is on the “to buy” list, just as I love the genre.

94%
Tue 15/06/10 at 14:54
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Spliter Cell Conviction
As reviewed on the Xbox 360

In what has to be one of my favourite game series of all time I became mightily excited at the prospect of Splinter Cell agent Sam Fisher going rogue and fighting against his former employers, Third Echelon. As excited as I was, I was equally disappointed that the game seemed to stay with a release date of TBA and when it was announced, the game was constantly delayed. Was it going to be worth the wait?

When the game was finally released, I wasn’t sure what to expect. So many proposed features in article and previews were mentioned, but cut short or replaced with something else instead. However, the end product works well and looks fantastic.

Without wanting to give too much of the plot away, this game focuses its sonic goggles on Third Echelon’s attempt to overthrow the power in the White House. The theme continues from the previous games where a mole suddenly becomes too big for his boots and takes control. A side plot to the story touches upon Sam’s daughter, Sarah, revealing the truth about her disappearance. Very interesting how the plot plays out and it is very deep.

I’ll get the point about graphics out early on. Previous Splinter Cell games have always been celebrated for their top-notch graphics and impressive lighting effects. You will be pleased to know that Conviction does not disappoint. The effects are utterly astounding and the shadow effects are even more effective than its predecessors. Moving into the darkness has now become easier to understand. If you are hidden, the screen takes on a black and white effect, whereas if you are visible, you see everything in colour. Looks very tidy and takes one less item to watch away from the HUD. Your objectives also are displayed on the scenery, which is quite movie-like. It took me a while to get used to, but it is a very swish touch that adds atmosphere to a rather dark game.

Gameplay has now shifted from the stealthy-stealthy sneak from A to B without being noticed by guards C and D before extracting through extraction point E. Now it is a simple case of going from A to B via any means necessary. If you happen to kill everyone you meet along the way, so be it. I guess this helps to create a bit more freedom within the game to play the way you feel most comfortable to play.

This does mean however, the game has become a lot easier to play, mainly down to the more action-orientated game design. If things go bad, there isn’t much a frag grenade and a semi-automatic can’t get you out of. Cover is easy to find and move between, enemies can be executed speedily if you take the time to prepare and your objectives are clearly marked.

Although it focuses heavily on action, you can still play in the dark. I particularly enjoy the game of hide and seek you can play with your enemies – a quick distraction here, a panic moment there and a sneaky dispatch from behind is always great fun! If they do happen to spot you, your last known position is a ghostly silhouette that remains where you were last spotted and that is where the guards will investigate first. This has tactical advantages, especially when dealing with a large group of enemies.

The weaponry available has expanded greatly, to include a range of machine guns, pistols and a shotgun. The high-tech gadgetry has also expanded slightly, with a portable EMP added to the collection. All of these can be upgraded via the use of upgrade points. Upgrade points are obtained throughout the game by completing different game related challenges (all are optional and sort of act as an internal achievement system – they don’t require you to do any extra objective). These challenges range from successfully eliminating ten opponents without detection to doing specific things during an interrogation. This in turn keeps the game interesting as you’ll always have a challenge in mind that you would aim to go for during your next objective.

As you can already tell, I am a big fan of the Splinter Cell series and as such I actually entered the risky depths of the online multiplayer. There are several online modes available, but the most notable one is “Hunter”. In this mode, you pair up with another gamer to eliminate all opponents on a map. This enlarges the cat and mouse fun of playing with the enemies’ heads as you work together to eliminate them. This mode is available offline as well, along with a single player option in a gameplay mode called Deniable Ops. A downside of this is that the maps are huge. Why is that a bad thing? Well it takes approximately 2-3 minutes to load a map – with most games now plunging you straight into the action, the wait here can be tedious. But once you are in, you will be too absorbed in the action to remember it!

Overall, Splinter Cell Conviction is another fantastic episode in an already incredible game series. Great graphics, realistic sounds and a new style not only has maintained the high reputation of the brand, but has also added something refreshing into the mix to ensure the series would stand strong if yet another sequel were to be released. I’d certainly recommend a lengthy rent of this game, as there is a lot to involve yourself in, but for me, this is on the “to buy” list, just as I love the genre.

94%
Tue 15/06/10 at 19:24
"possibly impossible"
Nice review.

Wasn't sure about the game but might try it if I get the chance now.
Wed 16/06/10 at 08:14
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Cheers pb.

I think the change from overly stealthy to action-orientated is something that put many people off of it. It is also much grittier than the previous ones.

Don't really know why, but the game just worked for me.

On a side note, all of these good reviews makes me look like all games out there are great. Perhaps I need to play through some rubbish to balance it out!
Wed 16/06/10 at 08:52
"possibly impossible"
Hah, I'm thinking the same about the stuff I'm reviewing. I think we're just being picky about our game purchases though!

I think the move from stealth to action is actually better for me, I can never really get the hang of stealth games.
Wed 16/06/10 at 09:20
Regular
"And in last place.."
Good review HM. I possibly didn't enjoy it quite as much as you since I had only played the 1st one. I'd have got more out of the story had I followed the series but there is no doubting it is a fine game.
Wed 16/06/10 at 21:55
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
pb wrote:
> I think the move from stealth to action is actually better for
> me, I can never really get the hang of stealth games.

Took me an age to as well. Just like scaring thr guards mostly...very funny!
Sun 20/06/10 at 00:59
Regular
"How Ironic"
Played the demo, I hate the AI on these games. Where the snap, crackle and pop is the new Hitman game?!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.