GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Would Prince Charles please shut up"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/11/01 at 12:58
Regular
Right i feel i need to get this off my chest.
In various magazines and newspapers i have recently been reading they have printed articles based on what prince charles has said about gaming.
He says "that children should go to the theatre and read more books instead of playing games".
I really don't understand how he can say this,whats the differenve between reading a book and playing something like Final Fantasy 7? both are full of text to read through YET at least playing Final Fantasy 7 your actually interacting with whats going on,not just sat down reading.
Also through playing games ive made some really great mates who i talk to all the time,would i have done this if i had gone to the theatre? i think not.
Now prince charles also thinks its wrong for us games players to kill each other in games such as Quake 3,so Mr charles are you saying its alright for you to go out and shoot inocent deer and foxes yet its not ok for us to kill computer generated characters? oh sweet irony.
Plus if he had played games such as "AGE OF EMPIRES" he would realise that this game is actually educational in the way it teach's you resource managment ect.
Now i have nothing against Prince Charles but with comments like what he makes about games it just shows he has no idea what he's talking about and that before he comments on something he should at least take the time to understand what he's about to talk about,so to put it simply THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK.
And now onto the subject of games turning you into a psycho or a killer,well it seems that when ever something bad happens in the world,games are to blame,this is just complete rubbish,what it boils down to is that while sicko's may play games,games don't turn you into a sicko.
Sun 04/11/01 at 14:27
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Go to the theatre? Are we made of money?

Mind you, Prince Charles is entitled
> to his opinion, but he's not really well informed on the matter, is he?

Books
> rule, so do games.

Play games, read books, have fun, enjoy life.

Do what
> ever the fun you feel.

Actually, it's cheaper to go to the theatre etc than to buy computer games!
Sun 04/11/01 at 00:14
Princh Charles is an anachronism who isc there to be ignored, laughed at and mistaken for a coffee mug.
Sun 04/11/01 at 00:08
Regular
"not dead"
Go to the theatre? Are we made of money?

Mind you, Prince Charles is entitled to his opinion, but he's not really well informed on the matter, is he?

Books rule, so do games.

Play games, read books, have fun, enjoy life.

Do what ever the fun you feel.
Sat 03/11/01 at 22:59
Regular
I agree with whoever said that books are better than games.

Games give it all to you on a plate, you just sit there and press a few buttons. Books enrich your imagination. Everything is in your mind, even though stuff is described to you, everyone who reads a book will have different images in their head.

I find it quite sad that some people don't seem to like reading. Reading is fantastic. I could give up playing games tomorrow, but I couldn't give up reading at all.
Sat 03/11/01 at 22:53
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
books will always beat games.

Video games have been around for oh say 20 years tops.

Books have been around for oh say hundreds of years.
And writing has been around even longer.

Read terry pratchet. Discworld rules
Sat 03/11/01 at 21:52
Regular
"I like cheese"
I love books, and love playing games, so I do both.
Sat 03/11/01 at 21:42
Regular
How can you say that you can "get lost" in books that no other medium can,that makes no sense whatsoever.
Have you even played Final Fanatsy 7? if so you'd know exactly what i meant,if you havn't then heres a challenge GO OUT AND PLAY IT and when you get to the end of disc 1 come back on here and see if your saying the same thing.
Honestly with a game you are INTERACTING with a story,you SEE everything that happens,you HEAR everything that happens and you get far more immersed in the whole thing that it becomes an experience,go play Shenmue aswell and then please come back on here and give us your thoughts,and i bet they'll have changed.
Sat 03/11/01 at 18:31
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
sirus wrote:
> Right firstly i get out everyday,probably more than you as i do a lot of
> atletics and secondly about reading "The Lord Of The Rings" well erm i
> have and can safely say i'd much rather play an RPG such as Final Fantasy 7 than
> read that book all over again, WHY? because as i said before YOUR INTERACTING
> with whats happening rather than just reading.
Come on whats more exciting
> playing games or reading a book?
Face it guys, your arguments fall apart faster
> than a sand castle under water.

Books, with imagination are much more involving than computer games, you can get lost in a book in a way that no other medium can...

Also, going out and interacting with, say, people, provides much greater range of potential than that of FF7...

Which isnt to say that computer games are a bad thing.. its just that all in moderation, and a range of tasks, are never a bad idea?
Sat 03/11/01 at 18:22
Regular
Right firstly i get out everyday,probably more than you as i do a lot of atletics and secondly about reading "The Lord Of The Rings" well erm i have and can safely say i'd much rather play an RPG such as Final Fantasy 7 than read that book all over again, WHY? because as i said before YOUR INTERACTING with whats happening rather than just reading.
Come on whats more exciting playing games or reading a book?
Face it guys, your arguments fall apart faster than a sand castle under water.
Sat 03/11/01 at 17:07
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Judging by this topic, perhaps the Prince has a point! If you got out more (either physically, or by reading and the such) you would know that there is more to life than games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.