GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MSN Messenger Plus Concise Review..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/11/01 at 16:44
Regular
Maybe not quite the FREEOLA 'Download of the Week', but MSN Messenger Plus still has a couple of handy add-ons that most will fins useful...

The unofficial add-on, found at 'http://www.patchou.com/msgplus' - is a relatively small file, hitting in at around 470kb (Zipped). Though it isn't official, it's still reliable and hasn't yet caused any harm to my computer...

There isn't really a main feature, only a handful of little ones which include...

Personalised 'Away' Status - Now don't get excited, it isn't what you think it is! This little feature replies for you, when you're away from your computer. You can leave a message with Messenger and it will relay the message to any one of your contacts that starts a convo with you. E.G

John says: Greg?
Greg auto message: I'm not here - Leave a message.

As you can see, it's nothing big, but useful for leaving a message for people...

The second feature is more of a 'fun' thing, only it isn't really fun...

IRC Chat Feature - This isn't a big deal, it just means that you can turn '/me is great' to John is great - very much a novely with the downside being that only another Plus user can see it.

The next feature is quite useful for parents... it's:

Parental Watch - Basically Plus logs and saves any conversation as soon as a sexy or violent word is used... handy for suspicious parents, and the folder with the convo's in is passowrd protected, so you don't have to worry about little Johnny deleting them!

Quick Emotion - Basically this feature sees Plus triger a small window as soon as you hit the ( key... (Shift + 9) it brings up a little window with all the Emoticons in - the MAJOR downside is that all the emoticons are very old and there are about 24 at most - very limited choice, but if you have trouble remembering the codes - this is for you!

The last main feature is 'Quick Text' this lets you program the 9 sentances or paragraphs you use most to Alt+1, Alt+2 and so on... just hit the shortcut while in the convo and the message will come up... the downside is that you can modify it - it goes straight into the conversation...

There are, i'm sure, a number of other little tools to play around with, but these are the main ones...

My conclusion is that for less than half a Meg and less than 1 minute installation time this is a nice little add-on... it doesn't work with the MSN Explorer version of MSN, but you won't have any trouble adding it to the new 4.5 version that most fo you will be using.

Thanks,

Game
Sun 04/11/01 at 23:00
Regular
""
you're right. it's not
Sat 03/11/01 at 09:45
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
:D :D :D

GAD attempt - Who? What? Where?

It isn't a great review, but I thought i'd put it here anyway.
Fri 02/11/01 at 19:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
This is a very sly GAD attempt here Jez, but it's got no chance of winning in this foruM!
Fri 02/11/01 at 16:44
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Maybe not quite the FREEOLA 'Download of the Week', but MSN Messenger Plus still has a couple of handy add-ons that most will fins useful...

The unofficial add-on, found at 'http://www.patchou.com/msgplus' - is a relatively small file, hitting in at around 470kb (Zipped). Though it isn't official, it's still reliable and hasn't yet caused any harm to my computer...

There isn't really a main feature, only a handful of little ones which include...

Personalised 'Away' Status - Now don't get excited, it isn't what you think it is! This little feature replies for you, when you're away from your computer. You can leave a message with Messenger and it will relay the message to any one of your contacts that starts a convo with you. E.G

John says: Greg?
Greg auto message: I'm not here - Leave a message.

As you can see, it's nothing big, but useful for leaving a message for people...

The second feature is more of a 'fun' thing, only it isn't really fun...

IRC Chat Feature - This isn't a big deal, it just means that you can turn '/me is great' to John is great - very much a novely with the downside being that only another Plus user can see it.

The next feature is quite useful for parents... it's:

Parental Watch - Basically Plus logs and saves any conversation as soon as a sexy or violent word is used... handy for suspicious parents, and the folder with the convo's in is passowrd protected, so you don't have to worry about little Johnny deleting them!

Quick Emotion - Basically this feature sees Plus triger a small window as soon as you hit the ( key... (Shift + 9) it brings up a little window with all the Emoticons in - the MAJOR downside is that all the emoticons are very old and there are about 24 at most - very limited choice, but if you have trouble remembering the codes - this is for you!

The last main feature is 'Quick Text' this lets you program the 9 sentances or paragraphs you use most to Alt+1, Alt+2 and so on... just hit the shortcut while in the convo and the message will come up... the downside is that you can modify it - it goes straight into the conversation...

There are, i'm sure, a number of other little tools to play around with, but these are the main ones...

My conclusion is that for less than half a Meg and less than 1 minute installation time this is a nice little add-on... it doesn't work with the MSN Explorer version of MSN, but you won't have any trouble adding it to the new 4.5 version that most fo you will be using.

Thanks,

Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.