GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Try and persuade me!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/11/01 at 14:17
Regular
If you know me, you'll know that i'm a BIG Nintendo fan!

But recently i've been hearing things which lead me to think that the Gamecubes not likely to come out in the UK till next summer!

This is leaving me with mixed feelings. Do I wait for the Gamecube and just continue to play on my N64 and Dreamcast, or do I go out and splash out on a PS2 or a GBA!

The main reason for me not getting a PS2 now, is that I don't really know if there enough games good enough to warrent the purchase! My best mates had one since it came out and he said the PS2 FINALLY had a good game when he got GTA3 the other day.

What decent games are there on the PS2 which would make it a worthy purchase???

:)
Fri 02/11/01 at 14:17
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
If you know me, you'll know that i'm a BIG Nintendo fan!

But recently i've been hearing things which lead me to think that the Gamecubes not likely to come out in the UK till next summer!

This is leaving me with mixed feelings. Do I wait for the Gamecube and just continue to play on my N64 and Dreamcast, or do I go out and splash out on a PS2 or a GBA!

The main reason for me not getting a PS2 now, is that I don't really know if there enough games good enough to warrent the purchase! My best mates had one since it came out and he said the PS2 FINALLY had a good game when he got GTA3 the other day.

What decent games are there on the PS2 which would make it a worthy purchase???

Fri 02/11/01 at 14:24
Regular
I am a loyal Ninty like you, but i still feel that the PS2 is a good purchase.

It is coming into its own at the moment, and loads of top games are coming out.

Before christmas i will be getting Smackdown 3, Devil May Cry and Pro evolution soccer. All 3 games are shaping up to be the top games ever created in their genre.

and yes, GTA3 is damn good.
Fri 02/11/01 at 14:26
It's all a question of tast I suppose.

For £200 you get a DVD playing console. So even if you only had a few really good games it's not a bad deal.

Saying that though, there is some seriously good stuff available and some essential titles on the way.
I'd certainly choose it over a GBA unless you're going to be on the move a lot.
Fri 02/11/01 at 14:27
It's all a question of taste I suppose.

For £200 you get a DVD playing console. So even if you only had a few really good games it's not a bad deal.

Saying that though, there is some seriously good stuff available and some essential titles on the way.
I'd certainly choose it over a GBA unless you're going to be on the move a lot.
Fri 02/11/01 at 14:32
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
MR.COATES wrote:
> It's all a question of tast I suppose.

For £200 you get a DVD playing
> console. So even if you only had a few really good games it's not a bad
> deal.

Saying that though, there is some seriously good stuff available and
> some essential titles on the way.
I'd certainly choose it over a GBA unless
> you're going to be on the move a lot.

there is some seriously good stuff available? like???

Fri 02/11/01 at 14:34
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I u can, get both... that's what I'm likely to do (and I may even pick up a second hand Saturn this coming week too! NIGHTS!!!!!!!!).

Sonic
Fri 02/11/01 at 14:36
Regular
"Wobble"
Nasty stutter, Mr. Coates!

You shouldn't need persuading, Cooky - it's only a games machine, not a turf war. Noboy is going to hate you if you buy a PS2.

There are plenty of decent games around for the PS2 (GTA3, GT3, Madden, NHL, Onimusha, Red Faction to name just a few), and plenty more due between now and Christmas.

If you're not sure, as in a games shop if you can try some of the games listed here. They should let you try them out, because they're keen to get hold of your money.
Fri 02/11/01 at 16:34
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
Cooky, you like I love Nintendo as a company and my N64 still get used all the time (less now because of GTA3)

I was not keen on PS1 but as I wanted a DVD player at one time I thought the PS2 was a good deal as I have only an old crappy stereo to play CD`s on

Therefore I was getting

1. A DVD Player (even better with Sony remote)
2. A CD player
3. A games machine

I bought it at £270.00 quid and was pleased at that price. The price now looks even better.

I may get a Gamecube but I was sick of the cuteness of a lot of the games. Playability rules but blood and guts still has a place in some games. I feel the PS2 will probably have the edge in footy, driving and fighting games but the Nintendo will beat it for the likes of Mario and Zelda(I always prefered Zelda to FF games)

Depending on your own situation ie if you hav a dvd player already will depend on your choice

As an old git gamer(27) I am not to bothered about Jak and Daxter etc but there are still some great games coming out

Gran Tourismo 3 (already out I know)
Grand Theft Auto 3
Pro Evolution Soccer
Agent Under Fire (I want to be James Bond - sad git)
WWF Smackdown 3 (Please be as good as No Mercy on N64 - it was really good crack drunk with my mates)
SSX Tricky (Didnt like it at first but now addicted to the demo of the first game)

There are also other games that look decent but I dont know how well they will do

Max Payne
Burnout
Madden NFL

There are alsoa couple of games due out early next year that should sell a couple of dozen at most

Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy 10

At the end of the day it is still a risk whatever console you go for. I took the risk and am delighted with my choice. Who knows I may buy a Ninteno Gamecube but I doubt it
Fri 02/11/01 at 18:19
Regular
"360: swfcman"
There is pretty much no time like the present to buy a PS2, there have been good games come out since the launch, no matter what anyone else thinks. But now that the developers have finally begun to really get to grips with the PS2, some ace games are starting to come out, and the next few months there will be many that come out.

You dont need me to name them all, there all here on SR on the PS2 page, but there are some really good games coming out.

Also you have to think what the PS2 can do, there are hundreds of classic PS1 games you will have access to, these may not be of the greatest graphics, but there are some extremely playable games out there, and many of them.

There is also the DVD, its on region 2 but you can buy an Add on for the it which makes it any region. Its also a CD player and if you have a minidisk with a digital cable you can record using the PS2.

Maybe the best reason to buy it apart from the games is the fact that its now only £199, i mean, thats a great deal for what you are going to get.

My advice is get one now.
Fri 02/11/01 at 18:21
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Gran Tourismo 3 (already out I know)
Grand Theft Auto 3
Pro
> Evolution Soccer
Agent Under Fire (I want to be James Bond - sad git)
WWF
> Smackdown 3 (Please be as good as No Mercy on N64 - it was really good crack
> drunk with my mates)
SSX Tricky (Didnt like it at first but now addicted to the
> demo of the first game)

There are also other games that look decent but I
> dont know how well they will do

Max Payne
Burnout
Madden NFL

There are
> alsoa couple of games due out early next year that should sell a couple of dozen
> at most

Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy 10

At the end of the day it is
> still a risk whatever console you go for. I took the risk and am delighted with
> my choice. Who knows I may buy a Ninteno Gamecube but I doubt it

Gran Tourismo 3 - Well i've already got Gran Tourismo 2 on the Playstation and as far as I can tell this is just the same but with better graphics. {even though if I did get a PS2 i'd definately get this game}

Grand Theft Auto 3 - Gotta be comming out on the PC at some point

WWF Smackdown 3 - Wrestling games are not really my thing

SSX Tricky - My brothers got SSX on his PS2 and after playing it, I still prefer 1080 snowboarding on the N64. I really want 1080 2 on Gamecube.

Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy 10
These two games are the main games that may make me splash out on a PS2. Anyone know when there comming out?

Hmm..... well. After reading what games people have mentioned to make me want a PS2, I have been put off again. Thanks! I've nothing against the PS2 or the games on it, but there's not really any games comming out that I REALLY want. Wave Race, Mario Sunshine, Rogue Leader, Pikmin, Resi Series, and most of those are launch titles, These are titles I REALLY want!

Well I guess one reason for my change is that I bought Turok 3 on my N64 today, and realised that there's still life in the old baby yet!

Well only time will tell as to what my next console will be.

Let's just hope that the Gamecube isn't delayed until next summer and i'll be alright!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.