GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A few games you should get..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/05/03 at 22:01
Regular
It's nearly Summer, traditionally nothing decent gets released during this quarter of the year, but here's a few things you should be looking out for if you want to keep your gaming skills toned over the Summer hols:

Dancing Stage Megamix

Grab a dance mat with it. The ultimate party game, or the ultimate fun you can have on your own as long as you don't get caught by someone walking in on you.

Best Bit? Workout mode, it tells you how many calories you've used up after clearing a stage.

SOCOM: US Navy SEALS

DON'T MISS THIS! It's the BEST shooter you're going to get for your PS2 for a long time. Plus the headset that comes with it works with MSN as well as you being able to boss your AI squad around verbally, so even if you haven't got a network adaptor for your PS2 to allow you to play SOCOM online (get one, it's worth it), you can still find other uses for it.

Best bit? You're on an oil rig, it's dark, cold, windy, and the terrorists have holed themselves up in the rig's office complex. Just say into your mic: "Team, Breach, Bang, Clear!" and watch as your squad of highly trained SEALS kick the door in, chuck a grenade, then proceed to rush the terrorists and take them out for you. (Or they might just stand there, say "I don't understand, Sir!" and get shot, AI can be funny like that).

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness

Not a big Lara fan? Then you've not got the preceeding 4 installments and have no excuse for not getting this one have you? Probably won't get released until Summer 2004 though, despite EIDOS setting another release date.

Gladius

Not heard of it? Where have you been? Think Final Fantasy Tactics but with hulking great Gladiators. Released around August, this should last you through until Chrimbo, by which time EverQuest Online Adventures should be out.

EverQuest Online Adventures

Quit your job, quit your school, quit your life and throw yourself into one of the BIGGEST fantasy worlds out there where you can be anything you want, do anything you want, kill anything you want. Demand is so high for this game, they keep having to add more servers to the U.S. version. Forget Star Wars: Galaxies and Final Fantasy XI, this is the daddy. (Unless you want to be a Jedi, in which case get Star Wars: Galaxies, currently rumoured to be a Boxing Day release in Europe).

Can't afford any of these? Stick with Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, Final Fantasy X and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, because by the end of the Summer if you've completed 100% all there is to do in these 3 games I'll buy you an icecream.
Sun 01/06/03 at 20:32
"!Basement Clucking!"
I personally think that TR could be a superb game. But if it turns out to be a let down then i wont be purchasing it (duh).

And i dont think TR ever went 'wrong' it just didnt change, it did the exect same thing that Resi Evil has done, except TR decided to make a change after their fifth installment whereas Resi Evil is on number 7 (8 if you think the Online Resident Evil Outbreak will be the same). But of course very few people complain about that...
Sun 01/06/03 at 20:14
Regular
Harry Potter??

*falls off chair laughing*
Fri 30/05/03 at 19:26
Regular
SSR have set a release date of 11/06/03.
Fri 30/05/03 at 12:06
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Ok, thanks a lot FM.
Fri 30/05/03 at 09:06
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Shocktrooper wrote:
when is the OFFICIAL broadband adaptor out?

Play.com has the date set at 6th June (I think SR does too), and they're usually pretty accurate. But with Socom not released until the 11th, I can't see it selling many units in those intervening days.

Not gonna get it though - no BB connection (I could have it installed) and to be honest I probably won't use it enough to warrant the £30 per month fee.

Maybe if the price comes down and I quit my job, I could get it. The Girlfriend wouldn't be too pleased, mind....
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:42
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
typo, make that uk.playstation.com for the url in my last post.

BTW, direct connecting your cable modem to your PS2 is possible, depends on your type of modem though, but you lose the use of your PC whilst your PS2 is online if you do that. Best alternative by far is to go for a small home network, see the Guides on the Sony website.
Thu 29/05/03 at 23:40
Regular
All the info you need about setting your PS2 up to go online (and I mean ALL, it's a very comprehensive guide), is at uk.playstion.com under Network Gaming > Guides.

Release date? Nothing official by Sony yet. But SOCOM gets released on 11th June, so around then I'd expect.
Thu 29/05/03 at 21:59
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
First of all, why, when I went to turn the CAPS Lock off, and i accidently hit the TAB key as well, did the bloomin' computer think: "Ooh, better post what he's written!"?!?!

So DAMN annoying!

Anyway, what I was saying was: when is the OFFICIAL broadband adaptor out, FM?

Also, because I need to be hooked up with a broadband connection first to be able to play online, would I simply be able to use the same wire that my PC uses for broadband for my PS2? For example, when I want to go online with my PS2, could I take the wire and shove it into my PS2 and off I go?
I'm trying to get the NTL Broadband deal (150K), and I'm hoping that I can use this broadband with my PS2.

Hope you can help me out, FM.

Cheers.
Thu 29/05/03 at 21:53
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
FM - when is the OFFICIAL
Mon 26/05/03 at 23:47
Regular
KR wrote:
> A few questions about SOCOM...

1. Yes
2. 12
3. Yes
4. Yes

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.