GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming n00bs and Intertextuality."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/11/01 at 00:07
Regular
They go with the flow, they don't know what really is what and they are currently buying the Playstation 2 games. Who are they? Gaming newbies, of the worst kind, they buy the games which should never have been released (Simpsons Wrestling). Why do they do it? Media promotion is the answer.

They saw the Simpsons Wrestling game in an advert, and connotated that it must be good because its got the yellow family in it. And nothing beats them. This intertextuality is what makes the majority of games so very bad and pointless to buy. Its my answer to what has happened to the gaming market.

Companies now think with a name, a license or a trademark they will make the profit to continue (for all of them its about profit). Intertertextuality is a cross from one media into another (basically just crossing the other for a direct selling market). Its happened from books to films, films to games and even games back to films.

Its not the gaming newbies faults, things are directed straight at them and its odds on favorite that it will meet the target. If your current hobby or most popular past time was advertised as a game and made to look glamourus and great then you would most very likely consider buying it. If a kite surfing game no matter how bad was released on any platform at the moment I would try and get it no matter what the console, simply because it 'rulez'.

Its a sad fact, but everything has an immediate impression on us, we sterotype and categorize everything we sense, sadly, gaming is just another one of them.

These gaming newbies will one day grow up to see sense and only buy what should be released, but the circle will continue as more newbies will spring from behind the cupboards to cause a pointlessness to most of the sold games. Have a look at the charts. Its a mess.

Thinking of it now, I know the answer to why the Nintendo64 failed, its because it didn't have the gaming newbies it needed to succeed, they all went for the Playstation simply for the reasons above, it directed its shoddy games at them. Infact, that may be the key to which future console will succeed and ride high the gaming world. The G@min n00bies.

Peace. Out. Discuss.
Thanks
er-no
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:07
Regular
"everyone says it"
They go with the flow, they don't know what really is what and they are currently buying the Playstation 2 games. Who are they? Gaming newbies, of the worst kind, they buy the games which should never have been released (Simpsons Wrestling). Why do they do it? Media promotion is the answer.

They saw the Simpsons Wrestling game in an advert, and connotated that it must be good because its got the yellow family in it. And nothing beats them. This intertextuality is what makes the majority of games so very bad and pointless to buy. Its my answer to what has happened to the gaming market.

Companies now think with a name, a license or a trademark they will make the profit to continue (for all of them its about profit). Intertertextuality is a cross from one media into another (basically just crossing the other for a direct selling market). Its happened from books to films, films to games and even games back to films.

Its not the gaming newbies faults, things are directed straight at them and its odds on favorite that it will meet the target. If your current hobby or most popular past time was advertised as a game and made to look glamourus and great then you would most very likely consider buying it. If a kite surfing game no matter how bad was released on any platform at the moment I would try and get it no matter what the console, simply because it 'rulez'.

Its a sad fact, but everything has an immediate impression on us, we sterotype and categorize everything we sense, sadly, gaming is just another one of them.

These gaming newbies will one day grow up to see sense and only buy what should be released, but the circle will continue as more newbies will spring from behind the cupboards to cause a pointlessness to most of the sold games. Have a look at the charts. Its a mess.

Thinking of it now, I know the answer to why the Nintendo64 failed, its because it didn't have the gaming newbies it needed to succeed, they all went for the Playstation simply for the reasons above, it directed its shoddy games at them. Infact, that may be the key to which future console will succeed and ride high the gaming world. The G@min n00bies.

Peace. Out. Discuss.
Thanks
er-no
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:15
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
The last paragraph is just soo right about the N64. The n64 had much better games but no n00bs wanted them, know why?

How many Nintendo ad's do we see?
Not a bloody lot.

Sony, Playstation? Like all these wierd ones about the PS2 :D

Top post there er-no.
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:18
Regular
"everyone says it"
GasMask wrote:
> The last paragraph is just soo right about the N64. The n64 had much better
> games but no n00bs wanted them, know why?

How many Nintendo ad's do we
> see?
Not a bloody lot.

Sony, Playstation? Like all these wierd ones about
> the PS2 :D

Now let me ask you this Gasmask.

The PS2 advert was very successful in what is aimed to do.
You remember the PS2 advert, so do I, so does nearly everyone on the forum? It will not be forgotten, and although a completely terrible advert itself, we remember it, so we remembered the name PS2 'The Third Place'.

See?
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:22
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Very good point there er-no.

Like those PS2 ad's were wierd but people rememeber them because they were wierd. Maybe if Nintendo did a little wacky ad maybe that is what we would be talking about right now!

Sony took a risk, and it paid off.

Remember the SAS slogan

"Who dares, wins"

Exactly. You take a chance, you win.
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:25
Regular
"everyone says it"
GasMask wrote:
> Very good point there er-no.

Like those PS2 ad's were wierd but people
> rememeber them because they were wierd. Maybe if Nintendo did a little wacky ad
> maybe that is what we would be talking about right now!

Sony took a risk, and
> it paid off.

Remember the SAS slogan

"Who dares,
> wins"

Exactly. You take a chance, you win.

My idea for a Nintendo 'movie' advertisment (television). It would just be the logo of Nintendo (main red one) and the GameCube logo frozen on the screen. That's it. Frozen for about 15 seconds, it would make all viewers think? Try and change the channel, but when they go back its still there.

They would remember that. That would really work.
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:28
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
er-no wrote:

My idea for a Nintendo 'movie' advertisment (television). It would just
> be the logo of Nintendo (main red one) and the GameCube logo frozen on the
> screen. That's it. Frozen for about 15 seconds, it would make all viewers think?
> Try and change the channel, but when they go back its still there.

They would
> remember that. That would really work.

Yea like a sort of takeover of all channels, that is an excellent idea er-no. Top marks :o)
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:30
Regular
"everyone says it"
I just remember as a child the screen freezing on BBC1 all the time, and it came up with the girl on that backboard, I always changed the channel and then went back to it to see if it was still there.

Probably only me.
Thu 01/11/01 at 00:33
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I remember that too!?!?!

Oh god! :D
Thu 01/11/01 at 08:38
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
er-no wrote:
> I just remember as a child the screen freezing on BBC1 all the time, and it came
> up with the girl on that backboard, I always changed the channel and then went
> back to it to see if it was still there.

Probably only me.

That's quite the conincidence. Not only did you and GasMask do it, but I also did it too! I always remember when BBC1 mucked up, I changed the channel but always kept changing back to see if it was fixed. I was too young to remember much else about it though - I was only 4 or 5! Thanks for making me a happy pappy this morning guys - I have Science, RE, English and Textiles today - I needed some cheering up. I have to go in 5 minutes, so I'm going to quickly browse the forums.
Thu 01/11/01 at 22:48
"possibly impossible"
Of course, with all the new digital channels taking over, Nintendo could hire out a new channel for a month and totally devote it to advertising their console and software!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.