GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Looks like Sony have planned ahead."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/10/01 at 11:02
Regular
Has anyone found any info on PlayStation 3ís development? I have, and guess whoís making it! High rises are going ahead for ëSonyí, ëToshibaí and ëIBMí. WellÖobviously Sony anyway. But whatís the catch with all the news about all this ì16- PS2ísî stuff. I mean, Sony is stating that the PlayStation 3 will be based on 16 PlayStation 2ís in one single machine. YesÖit sounds very promising and all, but why? Does this mean that the PlayStation 3 will either have the power of 16 PlayStation 2ís, or will it simply be equivalent to that. However, about this 16 PS2 news, I have recently found out that it could even be 10-12. Still, this is a lot and seems quite remarkable and this early stage. Do you suppose that Sony will be on top once again when their PlayStation 3 arrives? News is about, that Sony is looking to bring it out some time during 2003. Wow! Thatís around two whole years before Sony decided for a 2005 release date. If you ask me, I donít see how they can estimate such an aspect. Itís hard enough already, knowing how far the PlayStation 2 will exceed. Only time will tell. The funny thing regarding PlayStation 3 is that Sony had already developed the ëGScubeí before the PS2 was released. You will find from magazines and of course the Internet, that the GScube has the power of 12 PS2ís, if not more. Sony confirmed that it will only be used for special effects, for the development of PlayStation 2 games, and this will only take place in a few years, as Sony have mentioned. Could this be ëPlayStation 3í? I certainly hope so. Just imagine how amazing the graphics would look like.

After finding out what Sony plan on doing exactly, I feel that they deserve a lot of respect for their work. Yes, itís trueÖitís all a moneymaking racket, but still, Sony does have great plans in-hand. If you think about it, they introduced the gaming world with the use of the ëanalogue sticksíÖit was not Nintendo, as much as others wish it to be true, (no offence to those). They also had the greatest selection of games, from day one, and still do in fact. If you look back, this time last year, Sony had over 850 titles for the PSone and since the launch of the PlayStation 2; it has grown to almost 1000. If I am wrong, it can only be more than that, no less. Even the PlayStation 2 is doing well, with a great variety of games on the shelves, not to mention the most anticipated titles that are due for November 2001.
I am sure we all have something in our minds that we look forward too.

Thank you for reading

Son Of Liberty
Wed 31/10/01 at 11:02
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
Has anyone found any info on PlayStation 3ís development? I have, and guess whoís making it! High rises are going ahead for ëSonyí, ëToshibaí and ëIBMí. WellÖobviously Sony anyway. But whatís the catch with all the news about all this ì16- PS2ísî stuff. I mean, Sony is stating that the PlayStation 3 will be based on 16 PlayStation 2ís in one single machine. YesÖit sounds very promising and all, but why? Does this mean that the PlayStation 3 will either have the power of 16 PlayStation 2ís, or will it simply be equivalent to that. However, about this 16 PS2 news, I have recently found out that it could even be 10-12. Still, this is a lot and seems quite remarkable and this early stage. Do you suppose that Sony will be on top once again when their PlayStation 3 arrives? News is about, that Sony is looking to bring it out some time during 2003. Wow! Thatís around two whole years before Sony decided for a 2005 release date. If you ask me, I donít see how they can estimate such an aspect. Itís hard enough already, knowing how far the PlayStation 2 will exceed. Only time will tell. The funny thing regarding PlayStation 3 is that Sony had already developed the ëGScubeí before the PS2 was released. You will find from magazines and of course the Internet, that the GScube has the power of 12 PS2ís, if not more. Sony confirmed that it will only be used for special effects, for the development of PlayStation 2 games, and this will only take place in a few years, as Sony have mentioned. Could this be ëPlayStation 3í? I certainly hope so. Just imagine how amazing the graphics would look like.

After finding out what Sony plan on doing exactly, I feel that they deserve a lot of respect for their work. Yes, itís trueÖitís all a moneymaking racket, but still, Sony does have great plans in-hand. If you think about it, they introduced the gaming world with the use of the ëanalogue sticksíÖit was not Nintendo, as much as others wish it to be true, (no offence to those). They also had the greatest selection of games, from day one, and still do in fact. If you look back, this time last year, Sony had over 850 titles for the PSone and since the launch of the PlayStation 2; it has grown to almost 1000. If I am wrong, it can only be more than that, no less. Even the PlayStation 2 is doing well, with a great variety of games on the shelves, not to mention the most anticipated titles that are due for November 2001.
I am sure we all have something in our minds that we look forward too.

Thank you for reading

Son Of Liberty
Wed 31/10/01 at 11:32
Yup your right there but the PS3 developement has been brought to a standstill because of IBM lack of faith and decision to create thier own console. Oooops.
Wed 31/10/01 at 12:27
"possibly impossible"
So where did the info come from then? hm? Unless it is a proper Sony press release I am less inclined to believe that any 'news' about the PS3 is actually based souly on fact.

And yes, it was nice that Sony developed the analogue sticks for consoles from their PC originators about a month before both Sega and Nintendo used the same idea (thereby meaning that both had them in development), but people keep citing this as an example of Sony's console achievements, why? Didn't they do anything else to revolutionise gaming? Bit of a crap epitath that, 'Sony - the people who brought you the console pad with analogue a bit before everyone else due to selling it first'

And before you get on your high horse, i'm not anti-Sony, I have a PS2 and I like it, but they saw a market that was taking off and used it to sell a new piece of equipment. Without Nintendo, Atari and Sega there would be a big gap in console development and we may still have been playing space invaders in the 21st century. Yes, they make good consoles, but don't blow it all out of proportion.
Wed 31/10/01 at 12:34
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Ze Artist wrote:
> Yup your right there but the PS3 developement has been brought to a standstill
> because of IBM lack of faith and decision to create thier own console. Oooops.

Odd... IBM created the processor in the GCN as far as I am aware (Gekko based on IBM 0.18 PowerPC architecture), Toshiba are responsible for the chipsets Sony currently use... and yes, the GSStation does exist, and it is comprised of 16 PS2's but saying this is the future of the PS3... Nah! It was created as a show off device and to produce movie graphics and show the potential of such a work horse.

The PS3 development started before the launch of the PS2 but is some time off and nothing to start thinking about... Though oddly enough Sony have already registered www.PlayStation3.com, PlayStation4.com and PlayStationX.com?
Future planning maybe but nothing concrete!
Wed 31/10/01 at 12:35
yej i also do not believe that sony would be so stupid in bringing out a new console in two years that would mean that all us Ps2 owners would only have 2 years of gaming i rekon it will be out in 2005
Wed 31/10/01 at 12:36
Son Of Liberty wrote:
> Just imagine how amazing the graphics would look like.

I'll sound like my dad here for a bit (or even my brother) and say that this statement is what's wrong with kids these days!

Imagine the graphics? The graphics? GRAPHICS?

Crikey me! Is that all you care about?

Think of the level of interaction a game could have, think of how huge the game could be, think of what great games you could paly, not what you're going to be looking at.

It you just want to see some pretty pictures, go to the damn cinema.
Wed 31/10/01 at 16:00
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
pb, it's all from Sony actually... all this news was announced a month before the Japanese PS2 release, in which the president of Sony outlined far fetching future console plans...

The only other info I remember is that the main CPU chip will have 1000 times more switches on it than the PS2's chip...

Sonic
Wed 31/10/01 at 16:08
"possibly impossible"
Far fetching? Darn right. ;-)

Be nice if it were all true (including the fact that it would be out in a few years) but it begs the question 'why the leap in power?' surely the PS2 could have been so much more powerful if this alleged new machine is supposed to be mind-blowingly amazing?

Still, lets all be happy with the current (and soon to be) crop of games platforms for now, eh?!
Wed 31/10/01 at 18:35
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Can graphics get much better?!! They look awsome on the PS2.
PS3 10-16 times more powerful?

Me thinks that they will just weld 16 PS2's together :P

Lazy Lazy Sony.
Wed 31/10/01 at 19:11
Regular
"I like cheese"
To be honest, I don't really care.

The PS2 still has years in front of it, and many, many AAA titles to be released. I think we should be concentrating on the PS2, not the PS3.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.